Posts Made By: David Vaughn

April 30, 2005 06:34 AM Forum: Refractors

Re: My 1st Real Refractor

Posted By David Vaughn

Good refractors definitely have their appeal. If you won't miss resolving the sparkle of globular clusters, locating faint fuzzies one after another and diving deep into myriad nebulae then you won't miss your SCT.
You'll use both, I imagine.
David

July 21, 2005 03:32 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars as big as full moon!

Posted By David Vaughn

Has anybody been receiving e-mails from well-intentioned friends warning of the closest approach of Mars in the last 50,000 years, come August 27th? They also claim that Mars will appear as large as the full moon to the naked eye! Seems to me these e-mails are a tad late. But a number of acquaintances have passed them along to me anyway.
What about you guys?
David Vaughn

December 7, 2005 03:16 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

photographic observation in Orion

Posted By David Vaughn

I took a couple of star trail/landscape shots including the constellation Orion this last weekend. One was a two hour shot to the South, and, later on that night, a three hour exposure to the West. I was in Red Rock Canyon, North of Mojave, Ca. In my developed 6x7 transparencies, under a loupe, I noticed in both shots two VERY faint trails below the fuzzy pink line of M42, with what appeared like a miniscule double star, spaced every twenty minutes or so. This "plane-trail" appearing phenomenon occurred in both photos, following the motion of the stars precisely. I'd scan them and post, but I don't believe the oddity would be visible on the screen.
Any ideas?
David Vaughn

July 7, 2006 04:56 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

a couple of recent images

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello,
It's been ages since I posted. I'd like to share a couple of images that are representative of the kind of work I've been doing.
Both were shot this June near the observing site at Mt. Pinos, Ca.
Pentax 67, Provia 400, 30 minute exposures, guidescope on G11.
I hope you find them interesting.
David Vaughn

February 28, 2007 09:37 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

art opening and star party

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, all,
Ok, this is an opportunity to toot my own horn and invite anyone interested in heading out to Ridgecrest, Ca. on the night of April 13 for my first one-man show, "Night Sky," photography by David Eli Vaughn. The opening at the Maturango Museum's Sylvia Winslow Gallery is 7-9pm. They are hosting a star party in conjuction with the show, because my work is based on astronomical photography. I can't guarantee the sky quality at the site, but they do have a large outdoor area, including a small observatory. I print fairly large scale (24"x 30" to 48"x 60") Cibachrome images, mounted on aluminum or plexi. There will also be a large transparency lightbox. After giving a short talk about my work and mingling with my admirers, I plan to join the star party with my 15" Discovery Split-tube Dob.
I'd be honored to meet some fellow astromarters there.
David Eli Vaughn
See the Maturango Museum's website at
www.maturango.org

February 28, 2007 09:46 PM Forum: Star Parties

star party and art opening, Ridgecrest, Ca.

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, All,
Check out the film photography forum post if this sounds interesting. April 13.
It could be fun,
David Eli Vaughn

March 14, 2007 08:08 PM Forum: Ask rating questions here

"timed out" transaction

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello,
I'd like to post a positive rating for ad #479788, posted 1/28/07, but can't seem to bring the rating system up. It was an overseas transaction, and took quite awhile, but I'm very satisfied.
David Vaughn

July 1, 2007 02:19 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

fireflies

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello, everyone,
I just came back from a short, working trip to Northern Michigan, getting our cottage ready for summer visitors. I did have time, and remarkably clear skies, to take some long (three hours) exposure star-trail shots after dark, four nights in a row. Framing the sky with elms and oaks as I had a couple of summers ago I hoped for good results. Lo and behold, the fireflies I enjoyed watching as I set up my shots actually "ruined" the results. A luminescent streak here and there might have been alright, but there was firefly "scatter" all over. It just didn't look good. Shooting at f/8 on asa 400 film I didn't expect to pick up any of their trails.
Anyone else ever have this experience?
David Vaughn

August 29, 2008 11:52 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

astrophotography art gallery opening

Posted By David Vaughn

Hello to Jason, Joe and others who attended my opening at the Maturango Museum in Ridgecrest. Well, I have another show coming up, this time in West Hollywood, at Gallery 825, 825 La Cienega Bl. Please see attachment. (In case that doesn't work, opening night is Sept. 5, 6-9 pm. Show runs until Oct. 2.) Yep, the file is too large, so I'll just attach a smaller image from the exhibit.
It is with some sadness that I find the film forum in the "lower" section.
Regards,
David Vaughn

January 22, 2010 09:58 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

relatively new photo

Posted By David Vaughn

Geez, there are not a lot of postings here, lately, so I thought I'd post this shot taken last year at Red Rock Canyon.
Pentax 67 w/55mm, Provia 400, about a 15 minute exposure @ f5.6.
David Vaughn