Captured by
Mark Killion

The Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Vaughn

May 3, 2004 01:01 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

A picture of my private observation site.

Posted By David Vaughn

Floyd,
I don't suppose you'd care to reveal the general location of your private site? Looks nice!
This weekend, during daylght hours, I checked out the campground just East of Walker Pass (North of Red Rock Canyon, on 178) and will probably give it a try next new moon. And, studying the dark sky map of the Southern Ca. area, makes me want to investigate the area around Cuyama, West of Mt. Pinos.
I'd like to buy a few acres of dark sky land, if I could find the right combination of camping use and security for my scopes and person. I guess price matters, too.
David Vaughn

May 7, 2004 10:35 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Off Axis Guider for Refractors?

Posted By David Vaughn

Denton,
Lumicon makes an off-axis guider for refractors. I sometimes use one with my Televue Genesis. It's just like guiding with an OAG for SCT's.
David

May 25, 2004 09:01 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Galaxies revealing detail/spiral structure

Posted By David Vaughn

In my 15" Discovery dob, M51 is one of the finest. At a dark sky location I can easily see spiral arms as well as the connecting "bridge."
David Vaughn

May 28, 2004 11:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tear-out designer foam

Posted By David Vaughn

Bob,
I believe Pelican cases come with the sort of foam you want. They sell replacement inserts for their cases. Try Pelican, or CasesforLess.com.
Good luck,
David Vaughn

May 4, 2005 07:38 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Starting an Astronomy Club

Posted By David Vaughn

Daryl,
I spend every August in Northern Michigan, near Harbor Springs. Is your proposed club anywhere near there? It would be great to meet up with other amatuers while vacationing in dark sky country (although there tend to be frequent cloudy nights.)
David

December 13, 2005 09:10 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

sky atlas companion, what's it good for?

Posted By David Vaughn

Dan,
I find the companion invaluable, even if it is a bit dry. It adds a lot of meaning to locating and observing objects. It can help you verify your finds, and gives a small amount of information about each one. The observing session can become more of an educational experience. I, for one, recommend it.
David Vaughn

December 28, 2005 09:19 AM Forum: After Dark

Christmas Eve under the stars

Posted By David Vaughn

Linton,
Red Rock Canyon is one of my favorite observing sites, except for mid-summer, of course. I do a lot of photography there, as well. But Christmas Eve I was with the in-laws in rainy Northern Cal. Sometime this weekend I'll be at Red Rock.
David Vaughn

July 6, 2006 10:01 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

a couple of recent images

Posted By David Vaughn

Can't seem to post two at once, so here's the 2nd.
David Vaughn

August 20, 2006 07:24 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

NA and Gamma Cyg area

Posted By David Vaughn

Wei-Hao,
As always, awesome!
Thanks,
David Vaughn

May 18, 2004 08:57 PM Forum: Polls

Do you like the new design?

Posted By David Vaughn

New format is certainly flashy, but not nearly as easy to navigate. Sorry, as I'm sure it took a lot of effort to produce. I don't suppose we could go back to the old, stodgy, but effective, astromart?