My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve Sands

November 8, 2009 11:36 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Cheaper 2" Eyepieces?

Posted By Steve Sands

I am helping someone out whose father passed away. He inherited a StarMaster f/5.5 11" Hybrid telescope that is in excellent condition (now). However, there were only a couple of eyepieces and a 2" Big Barlow that were found with the equipment. The eyepieces are a 35mm Panoptic and a 12mm Type 4 Nagler. He is interested in learning how to use the telescope, but I think he may need a couple more to round things out. What's out there that doesn't cost $300-700 in the 2" format that would be worth considering? He doesn't have a very large budget to work with. I used to own some very good Russell eyepieces that were an excellent value ($65-70), but his are mostly in the higher power end of things.

Any suggestions? Maybe with the Big Barlow, 12mm and 35mm he is okay for now? That basically gives him a 6mm, 12mm, 17.5mm and 35mm setup. Thank you for any input you may have!

January 14, 2010 08:11 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Solar Imaging Advice

Posted By Steve Sands

I have been an avid solar observer for several years and would like to delve into imaging the sun in h-Alpha, Calcium and white light. I have been studying the volumes of information available on Adirondack Astronomy's website, but can't seem to come to a decision as to what to purchase.

The Astrovid Solar Cam looks like a distinct possibility, but so does the Lumenera Skynyx. The Skynyx has several variations. I am assuming from what I have read that black and white is the way to go, adding color with software after acquiring the images. The Lucam Recorder software looks like it would be an excellent acquisition package. The Starlight Xpress series of cameras is out of range price-wise for what I want to spend. I am sure that they are excellent cameras. I am also sure that there are other options I don't know about.

I would ideally like to have something that runs on 12VDC and would be great for other solar system objects. I want to keep this under $2K. I am currently leaning towards the Lumenera with the Lucam Recorder software, but still am not sure about which model would be best. I guess the bigger the chip the better? Also, it would be nice to have something to project the image on a computer for groups (video?).

Here is the equipment I use for solar viewing:

Lunt LS60THaDS50/B1200/FT/Pressure Tune
Lunt LS60TCa-K/B1200/FT
Coronado SM90/ BF30 filter set used on a 4" f/6 Yang APO
Baader 2" Herschell Wedge - Photographic model on an 80mm WO APO

I run the Lunts in a side-by-side arrangement on either a Losmandy G8 or G11. Also, I sometimes use a Celestron 8 SE single arm mount which tracks very nicely.

I use a cheapie Meade b&w electronic eyepiece for showing calcium on a monitor, but it has its limitations. What do I expect for a $30 eyepiece??! The field reducer I had to purchase cost 2x that!

Sooooo....any suggestions from those who have experience with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. I know that there is a lot of knowledge floating out there!! I probably haven't explained this all very well, but hopefully it will spur some great opinions and comments! Thanks for suffering through this post!!
8O

January 31, 2010 06:45 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Nice Solar Activity Today (Sunday 1/31)

Posted By Steve Sands

Since today is the first time I've seen this thing we call the Sun in a long while, I hauled out the Lunt LS60THaDS50/B1200/FT/PT (Wow, hows THAT for a product number?!) and it was worth the effort! Nice proms near a coronal hole and a decent sunspot up to the north! I put on the Denks with a pair of 24mm Pans and enjoyed the ride!! Go out and take a look if its clear where you are! grin

February 22, 2010 05:01 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: Decission

Posted By Steve Sands

Hi Steve,

Wellll, this is kinda an apples and oranges comparison. Double stacking etalons (i.e. the Lunt 75mm) narrows the bandpass, but just as in night time viewing aperture rules. Narrowing the bandpass allows for higher resolution "surface" details, but not proms. By going to a larger aperture (i.e. the Lunt 152mm), you get increased detail and higher resolution. I would go for the 152mm Lunt if money were no object. When you win the lottery you can then double stack it!! 8) YMMV and others are sure to have a differing opinion.

March 2, 2010 02:34 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Re: PST / Lunt-LS60THa B1200

Posted By Steve Sands

There is no comparison...the PST is a 40mm filter with a 5mm blocking filter. The Lunt is a 60mm filter with a 12mm blocking filter. What's to compare? I've owned (own) both, there is no comparison...the Lunt wins if not simply by the numbers.....

June 12, 2010 12:16 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

My Lunt Modification

Posted By Steve Sands

Perhaps I irritate a tad too easily, but I grew extremely tired of having to use a tiny allen wrench every time I needed to orientate the focuser on my Lunt 60mm H-a scope that has the FeatherTouch focuser. Then after I got finished with my viewing session and wanted to store the scope in the case I would have to loosen those same screws back up to get the scope to fit back in properly.

So I did some measuring and headed towards my favorite hardware supplier, McMaster-Carr. I found the perfect stainless steel knurl headed thumbscrews. One could get by with replacing only 3 of the 6 screws, but I went ahead and replaced them all just to keep the looks.

If anyone else is interested in doing this easy and reversible mod, I can supply the catalog number and specs. The silly things are $3.00 each, but McMaster also has a black plastic headed variety that would work that was quite a bit cheaper. All of the other knurled knobs on the scope are knurled stainless steel which is why I went this route. I also put these knobs on my Lunt 60mm CaK scope. This has made my setup much easier and faster with no dropping that tiny allen wrench or those small hex set screws! I guess it's the little things in life!! grin

July 20, 2010 06:42 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Should I broadcast my Reserve price in an Auct

Posted By Steve Sands

There is nothing "unkosher" about telling someone your reserve price. However, you may as well make that your starting bid price if you do so. Either way, it's nothing illegal, unethical, immoral or bad. wink

July 23, 2010 07:03 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Oh Boy! Mars as big as the full moon time again!

Posted By Steve Sands

It isn't even August yet and I am receiving emails, PowerPoints and questions about Mars being the size of the full moon on August 27th. I must admit, though, that the last PowerPoint presentation I received was very well done...just wrong! shocked I guess this will never go away. I am getting to where I anticipate this each year and have my stock answer prepared for those who ask! 8O

August 30, 2010 07:28 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Anyone made/ have plans for a Lunt LS60 Sunshield?

Posted By Steve Sands

I am looking for ideas and/or someone to manufacture a sunshield for the Lunt LS60 scope. Scopestuff has one for the PST and I keep hoping they will come up with one for the Lunt. Someone on Cloudy Nights has his idea posted, but I would like to hear about other solutions that anyone has come up with. I have black and white plastic sign board I can use, but would like an easy and nice looking way to attach it to the OTA.

October 21, 2010 10:29 PM Forum: Reflectors

How to determine the age of my Meade LX200?

Posted By Steve Sands

Uncle Rod or anyone else who might know:

I have a Meade 12" LX200 serial #122506. Since I acquired this second hand I do not know its age. I am selling it and the common question seems to be about its age. Is there any way to tell by the serial number or by some other means?

Also, what would be a fair price to ask? It has EMC multicoatings, is clean, the electronics are fully functional. It includes the monster tripod, 8x50 finder, Meade 2" SCT Diagonal, caps, a 12VDC to 18VDC converter and a manual. No wedge or eyepieces will be included.

Thanks!
Steve