My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Williams

October 14, 2003 01:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is this a true statement?

Posted By David Williams

Lmagnification with an SCT = greater chance to see(notice) the central obstuction.

This weekend I was "tweaking' my finder scope and decided to take a look at some trees off in the distance using a 2" university optics lense that came with my scope. Don't have it in front of me but is is larger than 40MM possibly 50MM or 60MM can't remember which.

I looked and there it was, the central obstruction. Was it the lense size or some other lense characteristic that made the CO so obvious.

This was in bright daylight BTW

Thanks
Dave

December 10, 2003 01:49 AM Forum: Celestron

Celestron Radial Guider #94176

Posted By David Williams

Anyone willing to email me a scan of the instructions that come with this item. I see how to use mine but would like the instructions.

Thanks
Dave

December 15, 2003 01:54 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Did anyone get a photo of the moon Sat morning?

Posted By David Williams

Between 9:30 AM and 10:30AM Saturday morning while I was driving west on I-94 I noticed the moon was out and was hoping to arrive home in time to get a shot. The clouds had rolled in and I didn't get one.

It was really quite a sight bordered by a chrystal clear sky.

dave

December 22, 2003 07:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Suggestions for a novice observer?

Posted By David Williams

Bought my Celestron C8 in may of 2003. My only opportunities to observe are on weekends. So due to my wonderful location, about 30 miles west of Lake Michigan near Kalamazoo MI, I have had few viewing sessions. Last night under not ideal viewing conditions, winds gusting to around 20MPH and scattered high altitudes clouds i decided I would give it an attempt.

My polar alignment seemed to be good. During a 20 minute break the drives on the CG5 held a star very near the center of view.

I aimed the scope at Mars(I must have had jupiter on the brain when I first wrote this). The view was very sharp and bright but with no detail. I used 32mm, 15mm and 9mm plossls.

I did the same with Saturn. Again a very bright, sharp image but no details. The rings looked like a solid ribbon of light.

I realize that I did not have ideal conditions but does anyone have any suggestions to bring out a little detail.

Collimation looks good to my untrained eye at 9mm. It was off but I spent some time a couple weeks ago adjusting it and now it looks good to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

February 5, 2004 04:13 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Re: Things a little slow for film?

Posted By David Williams

"They are horrible here in michigan"

I truly feel you pain. I try to observe in SW michigan. Since I usually only have weekends I have had my scope out maybe 4 times since Sept.

March 29, 2004 08:03 PM Forum: Celestron

CG-5 Instruction Manual

Posted By David Williams

Anyone have a copy of a CG-5 Instruction manual they would be willing to FAX, EMAIL or sell me?

Thanks
Dave

[email protected]
Fax: (313)227-4830

November 23, 2004 08:52 PM Forum: Reflectors

How to ship a C8

Posted By David Williams

I am about to sell my astro equipment and I will most likley need to ship my C8. It currently is in a foam-filled trunk but the foam is not adequate for shipping.

What I plan to do is replace the foam with crosslinked polyehtylene foam cut-out to snuggly fit the scope. the scope will be encased in foam for at least two inches on all sides and more on most.

My 1st two questions:

1: How do I ensure the primary is secure?
2: How do I ensure the secondary won't come loose?

My intent is to place the case in a box lined with 1 to 2 inches minimum of insulation type foam.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

February 20, 2005 05:27 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Fedex/Kinko and FAX

Posted By David Williams

I recently moved and don't have room to have my scanner set-up fulltime. Being too lazy to set-up the scanner and then put it away when finished I decided I would take my 45 pages I need to fax to FEDEX/Kinkos. Fortunatly for me I live out in the boonies and decided I would call and get a price quote before driving the 20+ miles.

Price: $2.00 for page one, $1.00/page additional. OUCH!

Think I'll temporarily hook up the scanner and FAX them from home.

April 21, 2005 02:22 AM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

A day in the life of the administrator

Posted By David Williams

I seem to have lost contact wiht one of my favorite forums. What happened? grin

May 22, 2005 03:38 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Bogen 3021 deal?

Posted By David Williams

Driving down my country road today I passed a big garage sale sign. Not interested but my attention drawn that direction I notice a tripod sitting on the driveway.

The tripod is a Bogen 3021 with what seems to be a decent 3-way head(I haven't looked close enough to say what model). The tripod is in perfect condition. I doubt it was used much, if at all.

The cost of this deal? $15 USD. Seems like a decent price to me. grin