My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Williams

July 6, 2005 04:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Hardin Optical

Posted By David Williams

I know nothing about Hardin Optical refractors.

If HO has a "fire sale" of their 90MM or 80MM refractors at what price do they become a deal to good to pass? Right now their Star 80MM F6 with mount is $249 and the Star 90MM F11 with mount is $275. RA drive is +$99.

July 12, 2005 10:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

A simple request!

Posted By David Williams

Does someone have experience with both the CG-5 goto and CGE mounts and would be willing to write up a little comparison from real world experience?

Thanks,

dave

July 31, 2005 09:49 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Your opportunity to give advice

Posted By David Williams

There is a good possibility that I will be moving to the Dallas, TX area in the near future. Specifically I will be working in Irving. I know almost nothing about the area so would like a little advice on where to live that is within an hour or less from Irving.

I am considering both renting an Apt and buying a house. If I rent I will probably live close in to Irving. If I buy I won't want to be right in the metroplex so what comunities, probably to the north, are good choices.

Also, how far to reasonnbly dark skies? 8)

Dave

August 6, 2005 09:39 PM Forum: Celestron

Am I losing it........

Posted By David Williams

or have the asking prices for old C8s skyrocketed?

See ad #368413.

Seems to me I have seen several asking prices in this range recently. Are they selling at these prices?

Dave

February 5, 2006 03:54 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Herb, Someone is being very bad

Posted By David Williams

EBAY 7587584288

Astromart 406986

May 3, 2006 10:33 AM Forum: Mounts

Rate the mount!

Posted By David Williams

I would like to put together a spreadsheet ranking the various mounts. For me it is difficult to determine if a particular mount is suitable for a given task. I know it is for many other people because there are hundreds of questions on A-mart about whether a mount is suitable for a particular scope or visual v. photography. If you would like to participate in this project please send me an email containing information about mounts you have first hand experience using.

I'd like to see manufacturer, model, type(gem,fork,etc.), manufacturer weight claim, realistic weight claim, size and type of scopes that are appropriate, available new?, approximate new price, used price range, features(goto, DSC, etc...). Don't worry if you can't supply all the information. Hopefully enought people will participate that I can put together a wide range of new and used mounts and an approximate ranking.

If you can think of any other info that would be useful fell free to include it as well as any comments you might have.

Thanks

Dave Williams
Moderator: I Like to complain about everthing
Computers: Hardware and Software

October 15, 2003 10:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is this a true statement?

Posted By David Williams

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to be sure that seeing the CO wasn't a sign that I am losing my mind. 8)

October 31, 2003 05:59 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Aurora in Connecticut

Posted By David Williams

So I wasn't hallucinating. I watched the light show for about 15 minutes before the high altitude clouds rolled in. I am at about 42 north in Michigan. The colors were predominately red in the NE sky. First auroura for me and it was impressive.

November 5, 2003 04:55 PM Forum: Celestron

cg5+c8

Posted By David Williams

I bought mine from Kens rings and telescopes accessories, an astromart sponsor. Is called a dovetail bar and I believe it was around $100.

dave

March 8, 2004 07:30 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Bird Feeder Advice Anyone?

Posted By David Williams

What sofjan said plus NO CORN. Corn attracts squirrels and racoons
Bluebirds are primarily insect eaters. Most wildlife stores will have mealy worms(think that is what they are called) that will attract bluebirds.

Suet blocks will attract many birds including most woodpeckers.