New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bob Polcyn

June 26, 2002 08:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collodion for cleaning optical surfaces

Posted By Bob Polcyn

Hi all --

Many of us have probably gotten an email from a supplier of collodion which is supposed to be a very good way to clean optics. Has anyone had experience with this stuff? Is it at all hard on coatings?
Any help appreciated.

Bob Polcyn

July 26, 2002 05:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tracking with a Dob

Posted By Bob Polcyn

I'm looking into an 18" Dob and want it to have tracking capability. It's not going to be cheap. But what are the merits of the equatorial platform design vs onboard drive set ups? Starmaster has a system and Tech2000 offers one. What's been the experience with these systems? The advantage of the Tech2000 is its price -- but does it do the job well?
Thanks.

Bob Polcyn

August 3, 2002 05:58 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

A newly identified comet

Posted By Bob Polcyn

Hi all -- While scanning the sky between Andromeda and Cassiopeia on July 31 I clearly saw a 'gray fuzzy' which wasn't on either of my sky maps. I assumed that the identification problem was related to my being a less than expert observer.
But last night there was a reference to a new comet in that area in Sky and Telescope's internet newsletter. I haven't been able to get to their website for some reason but if what I saw was the comet it will be an easy one to track.

Bob Polcyn

August 14, 2002 02:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Commander and NGC-Max

Posted By Bob Polcyn

I'll be adding digital setting circles to a new 18" Dob soon and am confused by some of the chat I've read about these two systems. Are the differences between them enough to make one preferable to the other?
Thanks for any help.

Bob Polcyn

August 15, 2002 05:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

.965" eyepieces

Posted By Bob Polcyn

There's a trickle of .965" eyepieces on Astromart and Takahashi markets a few new eyepieces in this barrel size. Are there .965" optics which are considered good enough that we should be searching for them and buying adapters?

Bob Polcyn

August 18, 2002 08:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What about Intermountain Optics?

Posted By Bob Polcyn

There's an ad for an 18" Dob scope with an Intermountain Primary. I haven't seen any opinions expressed about mirror quality from Intermountain. Has anyone had experience with their primary mirrors?

Bob Polcyn

August 19, 2002 06:42 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Albireo with an UHC filter

Posted By Bob Polcyn

I just got the filter (Lumicon) and was playing with it a few nights ago. It's mounted in a Van Slyke filter slider system which makes it possible to view with and without the filter with a push of the slide. Just for the heck of it I looked at Albireo and was surprise with a fairly dramatic change it its appearance. With the UHC the yellow star becomes dimmer but sharper and the blue component becomes the richest blue I've ever seen thru a scope -- pretty spectacular, I thought. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Can anyone explaing what's going on?
Thanks.

Bob Polcyn

October 5, 2002 05:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

The focal length of an 18" f/4.5 mirror

Posted By Bob Polcyn

I can roughly estimate its focal length from the mirror to focusser distance but would like to know the mathematics involved. Is there a math oriented user out there who can help?
Thanks.

Bob Polcyn

October 20, 2002 06:52 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Measuring planetary motion

Posted By Bob Polcyn

Hi all --

Last year, over a period of weeks, I observed Mars' retrograde motion and was amazed by it. Has anyone tried to measure planetary motion (retrograde and otherwise) using a sextant or other device? I know that the planetarium programs show platetary movements very nicely but I'd like to document the movements myself.

Bob Polcyn

November 10, 2002 05:40 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Venus in the morning sky

Posted By Bob Polcyn

Venus has become a morning 'star' and presents a beautiful tight/bright crescent a few degrees above the horizon in early dawn light. I find it to be a real treat.

Bob Polcyn