My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Doctor

September 10, 2003 03:09 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Replacing or augmenting a focuser

Posted By David Doctor

I just finished restoring an old Cave 10" f/6 newtonian. Works great for visual purposes. My concern is that after the restoration the 'rack and pinion' focusing tube required a short extension in order for it to be able to bring things into focus, and now if I have to add any instrumentation, e.g. CCD etc., we're now about 3-4 inches away from the tube. Is there any way to support the focusing tube so it can handle the extra weight in this postion or would you consider replacing the whole tube so it can bring the focus closer in or both. The optics are perfectly collimated now.
Thanks!

Dave

September 11, 2003 05:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Kendrick Dew Protector

Posted By David Doctor

I have a Kendrick dew protection strap that I want to use for a 10" newtonian. The tube is about 60" long. Where should I put the strap and how high can you crank the heat up on the controller before the image quality degrades?
Thanks

September 12, 2003 10:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Kendrick dew protector

Posted By David Doctor

Thanks John. So you think it won't help then to use the strap on the outside of the tube for this particular scope?

November 3, 2003 04:02 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

focus mask

Posted By David Doctor

Do the holes or triangles or whatever you're using have to be perfectly spaced or does it matter. Mine are pretty close and I can get them to superimpose, but is that good enough?
Thanks
Dave

July 10, 2004 03:17 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

2" focal reducer for a newtonian

Posted By David Doctor

Still looking for an fr I can use with my newtonian. I have a starlight ccd camera and a 2" focuser. Meade and Celestron have the SCT threads so I can't use those. I have a 2" thread adaptor and extender that slides into the 2" focuser. Perfect would be one I could put between the camera and extender. Is there anyone out there using a newtonian for ccd and a 2" focal reducer they are happy with?
Thanks
Dave

March 30, 2005 09:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

5x powermate focus position

Posted By David Doctor

I have been imaging thus far with a 3x barlow. I will be trying out a 5x powermate. Approximately where will the new focus position be compared with what it was with the 3x barlow?
Thanks
Dave

August 29, 2005 06:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Add-on motorized focuser

Posted By David Doctor

I have a nice crayford focuser from Moonlite, but it can only be used manually. Is there any way to motorize it? Are there any packaged kits available?
Thanks.
Dave

August 30, 2005 08:29 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Maximum useful barlow magnification

Posted By David Doctor

Hi group,

I'm using a 10" f/7 newtonian. No problem with a 3x barlow, but what about a 5x powermate? Let's assume superb seeing and everything else. I can't remember the calculation for the maximum useful increase. I don't use eyepiece projection. I know a lot of folks routinely image in the f/35 range. Is it too much for this set-up?
Thanks.
Dave

June 7, 2006 03:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

'firewire' webcams?

Posted By David Doctor

hi group,
can someone help me sort out this whole firewire webcam thing? i have been using a toucam for a couple of years now and i am seeing more people now using monochrome webcams,eg. something called a DMK21BF04? i could not find anything about what this is or who sells it. what is the difference between that and a lumenera?
thanks.
dave

August 27, 2006 02:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

References for monochrome video + filters

Posted By David Doctor

hi group,
i've been using a webcam (toucam) for awhile now and thinking about trying monochrome video with filters (e.g. lumenera or similar). are there any references out there devoted to this area of imaging?
thanks,
dave