New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Kinzer

March 5, 2005 08:45 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Adapting Meade motor kit to CG-5 Clone

Posted By Paul Kinzer

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the Meade motor kits being sold by Russell Optics, and their adaptability for use with the CG-5 mount (or, to be more accurate, a clone). Mr. Russell has not used them for this purpose, but told me that he's sold hundreds of the kits, and that someone, somewhere, should know something. There are photos of the kit at his website. It comes with an Autostar controller and two motors.

What I'm wondering is:

1. Is it a farly simple proposition to attach the motors by tapping holes and using homemade brackets; or is some kind of geared adapter needed to get the tracking to be accurate?

2. Does it work well? It is supposed to provide both go-to and tracking abilities.

Has anyone actually done this, or seen a mount with it done?

Thanks!

Paul Kinzer

January 28, 2006 07:22 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Mistakenly signed up as a supporter

Posted By Paul Kinzer

I hope someone can help me with this question, both technically, and ethically.

I'd like to know how I back out of being a supporter, at least temporarily. I signed up, not really knowing what would happen (not very bright, I know.)

Before I commit to paying for any ads for a product that I am thinking about making for folks on Astromart, I'd like to place an ad asking if anyone would want it. It will take an initial investment on my part for materials and some tools, so I would like to know if there is a potential market. I will not ask for commitments: that seems like cheating to me; and I want to -- and will -- pay for my ads here, IF the ads will have a chance of giving me some income.

So, is what I want to do (place a "for POTENTIAL sale" ad for a product I am thinking of making, without being a supporter) kosher? And, if so, how do I go back to being a non-supporter?

Thanks!

Paul Kinzer

November 21, 2007 06:49 PM Forum: Celestron

1990s Pricing on Firstscope 80EQ

Posted By Paul Kinzer

I'm doing research for a book, forthcoming from Cambridge University Press, and hope someone can help with a pretty specific question. I have a copy of the 1994 edition of The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Dickinson and Dyer. In it, they state that the current (1994) price for the Celestron C80, on an alt-az mount, was $550. A paragraph or two later, they mention the Firstscope 80 EQ, but do not mention the price. I own a Firstscope 80 EQ, which I bought several years ago for well under $300 (I don't remember the exact price.)

I'd like to know what the price was for this scope back then. I know that mine was probably made in China, and back then they might have been made in Japan(information on that would be nice, too); so it might not be an accurate comparison (though my scope gives very nice views.) Still, I think prices have fallen considerably in the last decade or so, and I'd like to give a specific example, using a long-available beginner's scope, if I can.

If someone knows the answer, that would be great. Or, if someone has been subscribing to Sky & Telescope longer than I have (2001), or another magazine, maybe he or she could look at some ads. I'd be grateful for any help!

Paul Kinzer

May 4, 2009 10:18 PM Forum: Mounts

Vixen Super Polaris Controller Compatability

Posted By Paul Kinzer

I have an old Vixen Super Polaris, and the DMD-3 controller is fried. Does anyone know if the newer DD-1 controller will work with motors that have used the old DMD-3? I see that both use 8-pin cables. The DD-1 is more user-friendly, and I might actually be able to find a used one. My research on the DMD-3 doesn't give me much hope of finding one of those. I'm assuming at this point that the motors I have still work. (I made the very stupid mistake of plugging the battery cable into the controller after inserting it into the battery pack. I saw a spark, and the controller died.) sad

January 6, 2003 09:02 PM Forum: Religion

Attack of the Clones

Posted By Paul Kinzer

Hey, another Paul!

I'm npt very worried yet. Cloning is difficult, and does not produce carbon copies, just genetic ones. Who we are is based not just on genetics, but on upbringing. I worry about kooks like these reproducing and bringing up children. How they reproduce is not so important.

Paul Kinzer

January 29, 2006 11:47 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Mistakenly signed up as a supporter

Posted By Paul Kinzer

Well, thanks to all of you for the pointers; they all make sense to me, even though there is a contradiction. I'll think about what is best for me to do.

Of course, right in the middle of this, some other time-consuming things that have been waiting have now been waiting too long , so it'll be a while before I get to this.

Thanks again for the quick, sensible suggestions!

Paul Kinzer