My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Donald Scott

January 3, 2004 07:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

how is this possible?

Posted By Donald Scott

the apod from astromart: http://astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=239555 claims to be taken with refractors, a tak & an ap155.....why do the stars have diffraction spikes?

ds

January 16, 2004 07:26 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

orion ed80 focuser question.

Posted By Donald Scott

i've read that the focuser doesn't 'lock down' per-se. can someone confirm this. will this pose a problem if i'm trying to photograph with a 35mm slr body hanging off the end at zenith? how about a binoviewer with a couple of widefield eyepieces?

thanks!

ds

January 16, 2004 07:26 AM Forum: Binoviewers

orion ed80 focuser question.

Posted By Donald Scott

i've read that the focuser doesn't 'lock down' per-se. can someone confirm this. will this pose a problem if i'm trying to photograph with a 35mm slr body hanging off the end at zenith? how about a binoviewer with a couple of widefield eyepieces?

thanks!

ds

February 2, 2004 08:21 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

ScamBoy's email

Posted By Donald Scott

herb, perhaps you should post it on SAA. i'm sure that not only will the clientel be more than happy to help out, but the robots that scan the usenet will probably love to have another couple, too.

ds

February 2, 2004 11:34 AM Forum: Binoviewers

siebert contest guess

Posted By Donald Scott

i'd guess that 2 parts of the corrector contain 2 elements each and that there is at least 1 spacer, so the whole assembly comes apart in at least 3 usable pieces, more or less resulting in:

by combining all parts you get 1 mag
by combining all parts, but flipping one of the element parts you get 1 mag
by combining the 2 with the elements in them you get 1 mag
by combining 1(either) part with an element and the spacer you get 2 mags
by using one of the parts with elements in it in reverse, you get another mag.

seems to me like the basis of this oca could be something like a pair of specially designed barlows that allow you to double stack them, use them seperate or use at least one of them in reverse.

ds

by

April 19, 2004 08:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

which bogen / manfrotto head?

Posted By Donald Scott

here's the skinny:

- i've got a william optics megrez and some cameras.
- i have a tripod, but don't know what head to mate with it.
- i can't decide between a video head, geared head, or pan/tilt head.
- i don't know what the advantages/disadvantages of each are with regards to terrestrial photography, birding, astrophotography, and viewing.

is there a single head which will allow for fluid motion while viewing through my scope and allow me to contort it enough for photography?

thank you for your wisdom.

ds

April 20, 2004 03:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

electronic eyepiece for guiding?

Posted By Donald Scott

has anyone got experience with using an electronic eyepiece (like the orion or the meade) with a tv or other video monitor to guide a photo? i understand that the camera won't show very faint objects, but does anyone know what the lowest mag star you can see with one of these cameras is?

i just think that it would be nicer to be sitting in a lawn/lounge chair with a coctail in one hand and a electronic controller in the other, looking at a screen, than being crammed up at the eyepiece for a long exposure guide.

thank you!

ds

December 16, 2003 10:48 AM Forum: Binoviewers

My Guess

Posted By Donald Scott

i, too, feel as if the 2 sides are mirror images of each other, but only the diopters, not the rest of the binoviewer.

ds

February 17, 2004 09:36 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

How do I fix my mistake?

Posted By Donald Scott

just look ken up in the user's ratings...you'll see his reply to your ad there and can rate him then.

ds

May 4, 2004 10:47 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Meade 24.5 Superwides

Posted By Donald Scott

i had a pair i just sold on astromart a short while ago. they're really nice, but my eyes are too close together to use them while i have my nose on. i was able to glimpse thru them a few times in my bino, but it was too uncomfortable...comfort is the reason i use a binoviewer. fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you want to look at it), my nose doesn't come off of my face. because of this 'manufacturing problem,' i had to let them go to someone who has either a removable nose or eyes that are further apart.

just so you know, i have eyes that are pretty close together. my IPD is rather small compared to many people, but it goes along with my small face.

check out tod gross's site for a review of these ep's, but if you can try before you buy if you have any doubts whether they'll fit your face.

ds