My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chase McNiss

November 28, 2006 10:32 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Herschel to Azachel

Posted By Chase McNiss

Nothing like Alan's wonderful mosiac of the same region but thought I would post to show my attempt. I get a headache thinking of all the work Alan put into his image with the number of seperate images combined in his mosaic.

Imaged on the morning of 11-11-06, spent some time over the Thanksgiving Holiday playing around with Registax v4.

200/600 frames stacked and imaged with my 8" SCT / Toucam setup.

Chase

May 28, 2007 03:30 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Clavius 5-26-07

Posted By Chase McNiss

It's been awhile since I posted any images here, good to get back out under the stars.

For once the local skyclock was wrong and I had an opportunity last night to image Clavius and Copernicus.

Here is Clavius...

Celestron 8" SCT on GEM
TV 2x barlow
DMK 21F04 camera w/IR cut filter
600/1600 frames, 40 alignment points
Wavelets and PSCS

Thanks for looking
Chase

May 29, 2007 09:10 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: VENUS 5/29/07

Posted By Chase McNiss

Excellent image! I have never tried Venus but you have inspired me.

Thanks for sharing.

C

June 8, 2007 01:53 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Venus 6/6/07

Posted By Chase McNiss

Dan,

With the scale of your Venus image it sure looks closer than 68 million miles. 8)

Nice image,thanks for sharing.
C

June 9, 2007 02:54 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Theophilus and friends

Posted By Chase McNiss

Imaged 5-22-07, 6th day of lunation.

Captured using 8" SCT on Gem
DMK 21F04 camera
1.6x barlow & 685nm IR Pass Filter
600/1600 frames stacked with 14 alignment points
PSCS and Focus Magic

Thanks for looking
Chase

October 29, 2007 01:00 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Holmes early Sunday night - 3 nuclei?

Posted By Chase McNiss

Took this image with my C102F and a Nikon 4500 a-focally thru an 18mm Scopetronix eyepiece, 8 secs exposure.

Looks like the single nuclei has broken up into 2 or 3 sections. Could increase the size of the coma real quick but could also shorten the life of the comet.

Check it out while you can

Chase

December 23, 2007 11:12 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Downy Woodpecker

Posted By Chase McNiss

Imaged with Nikon Colpix 4500, a-focally (digiscoped) through a Nikon 80A spotting scope. Optical zoom approximately 2x.

Happy Holidays
Chase

January 17, 2008 01:06 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

The lone Carolina Wren

Posted By Chase McNiss

Every once in awhile this lone Carolina Wren shows up on the feeders in my backyard. Last time I saw him was during a snow storm. Today when I came home for lunch there he was again.

Had to get off at least one shot with a Nikon Coolpix 5100, TV76 and 32mm TV plossl.

Thanks for looking,
Chase

February 19, 2008 01:56 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Bald Eagles in New Hampshire

Posted By Chase McNiss

Up until this winter I didn't even know we had Bald Eagles in New Hampshire. Shows you what I know.

Attached is an image of a young adult Bald Eagle taken across the Merrimack River at what I estimate to be over 100 yards. I was unable to avoid numerous branches in the foreground but one image turned out OK.

Imaged a-focally through a Pentax PF65ED-A spotter, using a TV 8x24 zoom eyepiece, coupled to a Nikon Coolpix P5100. I estimate this image at about 56x at 8mb resolution.

Also attached are two other images showing the views using a 70mm and 300mm telephoto on my Nikon D100 DSLR just to show distance perspective.

Chase

March 16, 2008 06:57 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Bald Eagle along the Merrimack River, NH

Posted By Chase McNiss

Came upon this adult Bald Eagle feeding on a very large carp.

I can't help but wonder how the Eagle got that large of a fish onto the ice. The was a second carp much smaller not far away and 3/4 eaten.

The eagle did not like my presence and took off soon after the first image, second image shows the eagle taking off.

Eagles are cool, no doubt.
8)
C