My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Lonnie Puterbaugh

May 15, 2002 07:44 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Video Camera image of Centaurus A galaxy

Posted By Lonnie Puterbaugh

This image should show the level of technology available with video today. This was taken from a 4.2" aperture telescope on a mount that was NOT polar-aligned. A street light was just outside the field-of-view right below the image by no more than 2 degrees. This was taken from a driveway with mag. 4 skies. Hope you like it! --Lonnie

September 7, 2002 06:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

high quality gem goto for imaging?

1) What is the best goto mount for ccd imaging under $10k US dollars? I would say the Bisque Brothers' ME mount, but what's the next five or so down the list?

2) With cost factored in, what is the best gem goto mount(we've already ruled out the G11 Gemini system)? Does anyone know where the William Optics mounts can still be purchased?

--Lonnie

October 14, 2002 01:21 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Flame and Horsehead image from Okie-Tex

I took this on Saturday morning at the Okie-Tex a week ago.
--Lonnie

October 17, 2002 02:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

tri-color image with a video camera

Stellacam Ex B&W video image with Astronomik filters.

--Lonnie

November 21, 2002 01:20 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My first Leonids video image

I have two hours of video to go through, but this showed up in the first five minutes. This was taken on a still photo tripod with a 3mm c mount lens. I was seeing stars to above 6th magnitude live on the monitor. Go Stellacam!

--Lonnie

December 12, 2002 09:21 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

old orange tube c14 fork-mount tracking error?

Our club has a C14 from the 70's on a fork mount with the AC motor drive. I believe the mount to be totally unacceptable for ccd imaging, but they want a second opinion before passing on purchasing a ccd camera for now. The C14 would be used with a focal reducer. The drive has no autoguider ports and no PEC. Someone has told a member of our club that the mount can take unguided exposures up to 5 minutes. What is a more reasonable exposure time to expect? There is currently no guidescope for manual guiding, so we are talking unguided exposures only. The camera that has been mentioned is the ST237A by SBIG (also not my choice).

Thanks,
--Lonnie

December 16, 2002 11:03 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter in 6"refractor with webcam

This was taken a little after 0900 UTC on Sunday morning. The 24" Cassegrain image didn't look very good visually, so we tried the camera in the 6"/f15 achromat finderscope. This scope is over 40 years old. This is my 2nd webcam image ever.

--Lonnie

December 16, 2002 04:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn with 6" achromat refractor

Here's the other image from our work Sunday morningat Dyer Observatory.

January 18, 2003 10:26 AM Forum: Religion

Welcome to the most active forum on Astromart!

Do you guys (and any ladies present also) realize that this is THE most active forum on Astromart? Even more postings/day or week than the equipment forum. We haven't been in existence here for even 30 days yet and already this forum has more postings than 50 of the other forums. In the next few weeks, this forum should move into the top 5 in number of total posts.

If that doesn't speak for each and everyone of us wanting to know more about our spiritual side, where we came from, and where we are going to, then I don't know what does. It is exciting to see this much activity on this subject when many individuals claim that we are only out for ourselves and material things. The material things are located in the other forums folks. Glad to have you all here!

--Lonnie

January 28, 2003 02:07 PM Forum: Religion