My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ted Slotwinski

September 17, 2003 02:32 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Has anyone bought an lxd55 ns recentely, pls reply

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

I think you'll find that the OTA and associated optics / mechanics will be fine right out of the box, but the mount/tripod will be the weak link. Some are good ... others are best just taken to a scrap yard. The majority though will need a little to a lot of tinkering to work well. I'm in this last group.

I received mine in July and am still working on getting the GOTO + tracking to function properly. I've basically taken the whole mount apart and performed a hyper-tune (see ldx55.com). I'm also on my second set of motors/encoders. It's getting better, but still need some fine tuning.

The tripod is also somewhat marginal, especially for the larger OTAs. I actually took the LXD55 mount and put in on a heavy duty Meade field tripod (it's rock solid now). I use the LXD55 tripod for my short tube refractor and binoculars. If you don't extend the legs much you should be fine ... but anti-vibration pads would be a worthwile investment.

I've learned quite a bit by doing these things, but then I've always enjoyed taking things apart and trying to make them better. I don't believe that buyers are expecting to do any of these things though. It's kind of like getting a new car and immediately having to replace the water pump, battery and radio. The dealer will be glad to send you the parts so you can install ... or you can send the car back and wait several weeks for a replacement.

September 19, 2003 08:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

One telescope for a year.

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

OK, well how about the Keck II (10 meter) telescope on top of Mona Kea in Hawaii? I believe this would still follow all of your rules ...

1. Everything is computer controlled, so a one person operation is no problem. I would need to get the big "user manual" several months in advance though. And maybe a demo before my year actually starts.

2. I believe I'd keep the current Alt/Az mount. It probably has better GOTO accuracy than my LXD55.

3. With a 10 meter main mirror, are any "options" really necessary. Well maybe a Mr. Coffee ...

4. My name is not Gates, Buffett or Walton, so the chances of "owning" this scope are as remote as M31.

5. I believe this still qualifies as a "scope".

6. Access to a 10 meter scope during the night and Hawaii beaches during the day ... yes, I think I could do this for a year. This has got to be the definition of paradise in a dictionary somewhere ...

September 25, 2003 04:50 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

NARC

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

I disagree. It's obviously not "Serpico", but I found the story line believable and liked the little twist at the end.

October 9, 2003 11:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Some deals last for probably one second...

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

This seller ...

a. Hasn't a clue of what this is worth
b. Knows this is HOT and wants to dump it fast
c. Dropped the mirror and superglued back together
d. Misspelled the mirror maker's name ... it's really a Zamboni.
e. None of the above ... he's just a generous phlanthropist

October 10, 2003 04:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Selling Scope Questions (LX90)

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

A "fair" price is going to be the one that is acceptable to both parties. You can ask almost anything you want, but if the price is too high, no offers will be made, and you'll wind up reducing the price until you do get offers.

A good place to start is to add up the prices paid for the scope and all accessories and ask for 80 or 85% of the total.

Here are a couple recent LX-90s with UHTC that sold recently ... look at the details in the archives.

Ad # 216774, 214931

October 13, 2003 03:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Home made dew cap ideas and advices needed

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

I'm thinking you actually meant to post that you want to make a dew shield ... as the scope already comes with a cap / cover for the corrector.

Here's one I saw on the LXD55Telescopes Yahoo group. It's made from 1/4" toolbox foam from Sears.

October 13, 2003 07:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Baffles in a DOB

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

I would think that baffles inside a DOB are self defeating ... unless the tube diameter is much larger than the mirror. Why would you fill a bucket using a funnel?

Also, "flocking the secondary" would definately give you a dark background ... along with everything else. Did you actually mean flocking behind the secondary (across from the focuser)?

October 15, 2003 04:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Welding filter good for solar obs thru telescope?

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

Ricardo ... Viewing the closest star is indeed fun, but it can also be dangerous. Whatever you make needs to cover the entire end of the scope ( not the eyepiece ) and should fit very snug so it can't blow or fall off. Here's a link that shows a good homemade solar filter. It is safe and very low in cost.

http://www.starcrwzr.com/filter.htm

October 19, 2003 04:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Overpriced Astro Gear

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

It is certainly true that you can spend a ton in this hobby ... just like any other. I know people that have many thousands tied up in RC cars, cigars/pipes, guns, first editions, Beanie Babies, etc. Some are in it for the entertainment and camaraderie ... others just because they have more dollars than sense.

I think many in this hobby do have a good sense of value. Some make their own parts (dew shields, solar filters, cables, power supplies, chairs) and some have even created small companies and are now making their wares for others. I say more power to them! I personally have made quite a few Autostar->PC interface cables and sold them here for 1/2 of what Meade charges.

Another indicator is the fact that this site is always filled with ads and I would tend to believe that over 65% of the items sell ... probably with an avg price of 50-85% of new/retail. I grant you that the dessicant is overpriced compared to something you can make yourself. However many do not have the skills, tools, time or desire to make this or to justify buying 5 lbs of dessicant beads. (Actually you could probably get by with about 4 to 8 oz and never have to purchase more as these can be dried in the oven and reused).

China does seems to be grabbing the lion's share of consumer goods in the US market over the past 5 years. I imagine this will continue to increase as they gain experience, build more mfg facilities and keep their trade status intact. I personally would rather buy something made in the US, but when the choice is a 102mm APO for $2200 (USA made) or $800 (made in China) ... it's really difficult to stay patriotic.

October 19, 2003 06:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Second telescope recomendation

Posted By Ted Slotwinski

There have been many positive posts about the new Orion 80mm ED. With a decent mount this could be around $700.

The Stellarvue AT1010 is also a worthy choice. Very good quality and solid construction. With an MV filter the CA is barely noticeable. These will handle 200x easily on nights with good seeing.