Posts Made By: Chris Wells

October 22, 2010 12:30 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

StarFire 152mm f/12 + PM1 mount

Posted By Chris Wells

I have just become the proud and lucky owner of an A-P 152mm StarFire f/12 thanks to Astromart so thought I'd share this picture with the forum.

I've always wanted a large premium A-P refractor and after waiting many years on the A-P waiting list, managed to pick this up locally.

The f/12 StarFire is pictured with a classic Rob Miller Astro Promotions PM1 mount (some heritage here with the early A-P mounts) that I've owned for many years now and always wanted to add the pier extension and mount that dream scope. I'm delighted to have finally matched the two. In fact the scope and the mount are both from 1991.

I love it when a plan comes together, albeit 5 years in the making for me:-)

And it gets better - crystal clear skies for 2 full weeks after purchase - when does that happen! The views through the StarFire have been spectacular even through my light polluted skies. I can only guess at what a dark skies trip to West Texas will be like.

I hope you like the equipment picture.

Cheers,

Chris

August 23, 2014 03:29 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Re: At last...

Posted By Chris Wells

congratulations Robert. I too managed to aquire an AP160 earlier this year and cannot coax false color either and thrilled with its peformance visually plus 1 astrophoto I have done with it thus far. My eyes are very sensitive to seeing false color, even in a StarFire 152 f/12 I used to own earlier.
The one pleasant suprise so far that I can't yet explain is that it has never dewed over and I live in the humid conditions of Houston where its always been a problem for me. Its just a matter of time I'm sure. Tonight I'll be out with it for sure...The planets are aligned, the moon is at bay, there is a new Dr. Who airing tonight and its Saturday night....