A real beaut!!!

October 29, 2004 03:51 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Eclipse from Florida

Posted By Gary Carter

Fabulous image Jose!

December 19, 2004 04:19 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Poll - LCD or CRT monitor

Posted By Gary Carter

The CRT is the standard if you desire proper color rendering when processing color image data. LCD's are not yet up to this task and can yield some lackluster results. For the desktop I still use the CRT monitor.

LCD's are certainly the cat's meow for portability - but I would always opt for a laptop for portable image capture anyway.

January 3, 2005 02:02 AM Forum: Refractors

Orion 80mm ED

Posted By Gary Carter

Vince,
I also planned on saving my nickles towards acquiring a TV85 - as others note here it's probably "the standard" in this size scope. I had the opportunity to look through two of these ED80s and decided that the price was too good to pass up and ended up purchasing one myself. I too did not much care for the focus mechanism in the factory setup so I swapped the stock crayford focus mechanism for the Mercury Support Systems FF-1 and I love it. (The MSS SFA2 is on the way as well) I cannot complain about the price/performance ratio - it is a great value in my opinion.
-Gary

January 16, 2005 02:58 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Sunspot groups 718 and 720 January 13,14,15

Posted By Gary Carter

A very nice series of sunspot images Paul! That Orion ED100 really performs well!

February 15, 2005 11:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Can anyone help me identify this diagonal?

Posted By Gary Carter

Jack that looks like the diagonal that Celestron used to provide with their C14's back in the early days (Orange tubes).

June 29, 2005 06:07 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Damian.....

Posted By Gary Carter

Hi Anthony,

>Do you mind if I ask what exposure time you used per frame, and what filters you were using? This info would help me determine if this camera is suited to my setup

The frame rate was 17fps using a B (450-350nm) filter.

Damian

October 7, 2005 04:05 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

How did you start?

Posted By Gary Carter

My interest began in my youth - I remember following the Gemini missions - To "walk" in space! Then Apollo came - To walk on the Moon! I recall being fascinated by the constellations - learning them from charts and seeking them out as I "camped" in the backyard under the open skies. I'd count the "shooting stars" one by one.

After researching and writing a report on the planet Mars for my gradeschool science class and learning of Percival Lowell's own discoveries I became obsessed with owning a telescope of my own. Though I had not yet saved enough from my summer's lawn mowing and other chores to buy it, Mom & Dad came through with the difference and I found my Sears Discoverer 60mm refractor under the Christmas tree that year.

Out in those cold December nights that followed, Dad helped me learn to setup, align and operate the scope. I will never forget the excitement I felt when we first pointed it at Saturn and I could actually see the rings! Wow! I still feel that excitement as I recall that winter night under the sky some 40 years later. Oh, the craters on our moon! And in the daylight, Solar observing too. Spots on the Sun! (Thank goodness that screw-in-the-eyepiece solar filter held up to those hours of abuse! Boy did it get hot!) That scope was my pride & joy for much of my youth. But as most toys do, it was put away as life's other distractions became my focus.

Later in life, married with children, my interest was rekindled by the coming of Halley's comet. I bought a C8, a selection of books, and even took a couple of college level classes to learn more on the subject of Astronomy.

I met a co-worker, Mike, with whom I shared many memorable nights under the night sky. We did some volunteer work together helping our daughters Scout troop earn their merit badges along the way. I ran a small corporate Astronomy Club for a time and coordinated observing sessions in the parking lot and a few outings to the local Planetarium. Then I switched jobs. Mike did too and moved in the process. My time under the night sky waned again awhile.

Though my 8" Celestron was capable, film-based Astrophotography never interested me much partially due to the complexities of film AP as well as my proximity to the Dallas light-dome. But then I met Jim, a co-worker and avid astronomer, who upon learning I had a telescope introduced me to the world of CCD imaging. Located north of Manhattan, Jim shoots over the light dome of New York City. Talk about light pollution! "Like so many other engineering problems, you have to learn how to deal with it.", he said. And now I am! CCD imaging's immediate rewards (i.e. not having to wait long to see results) was a wonderful thing too! I am hopelessly hooked.

This hobby has taught me many things. And not just about astronomy. It's also been about the relationships I've made along the way. I always enjoy my nights under the stars. I love exposing others to the amazing expanse of our universe, the beauty, the variety! And as one might guess I always get a kick out of the squeal of excitement someone evokes when they first set their eyes on those rings around Saturn!

October 13, 2005 03:04 AM Forum: Refractors

What is the Thousand Oaks solar filter for the 80E

Posted By Gary Carter

I have an Orion ED80 and an ED100. The Orion scopes measure 4.57" O.D. so I bought the Thousand Oaks model 5000 (5.0" I.D.). I was concerned that the Model 4500 would not fit having an I.D. of 4.5". I can always add a bit of foam tape to make the 5000 fit tighter if necessary. A filter that fits too tight may distort the image.

I'll let you know when it arrives and I've tried it out.