My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Grebe

September 1, 2005 02:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Equipment wanted!

Posted By Doug Grebe

Did you try scopes4rent.com. They have a 10 in dob for rent for under $300 per week.
Doug Grebe

March 18, 2006 03:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fine focuser

Posted By Doug Grebe

I also am wondering whether or not to get another focuser. I have an lpi and a canon digital rebel camera. I am always having difficulty achieving focus with either camera. I am considering the featherlight 10-1 focus knob but that can not be automated using a computer routine. The new William optics SCT focuser looks interesting but also is not automated. The JMI is interesting but the website is hard to see what you are buying. The meade ones are possiblities but I have used other meade focusers and they seemed to move the focuser too much with each button push. I am not sure this one does but I am wary. I dont know what to buy either.
Doug Grebe

March 15, 2007 10:06 PM Forum: Meade

LX200 Mounting Assistants/Plates

Posted By Doug Grebe

I have the starazona one. It is a little different than the other and more expensive. It is like two really thick pie plates with tabs on the edges. With this one you set of the tripod and totally tighen it down. Then the upper plate is attached to the bottom of the telescope and you lift the telescope on top of the lower plate and they automaticly center. You then tighten the bolts on the tabs. I use it on a 8 inch lx-90 and probably don't need it but it would work great on one of the heavier scopes.
Doug Grebe

October 4, 2007 04:47 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Pier help????

Posted By Doug Grebe

I would consider a cinderblock pier several feet on each side, if you do this and insulate it depending on your climate you could also have a unique wine cellar on the interior of the pier. With out knowing where in your barn your observatory is going it is hard to truely estimate the pier.

Doug Grebe

March 19, 2008 06:58 PM Forum: Politics

What is really important?

Posted By Doug Grebe

Floyd
I will play devils advocate on this one. You speak of ethical people/presidents yet you speak of not changing. America is in some ways a very unethical nation. How many people in America can honestly say they have not disobeyed several laws on any given day. Maybe a few very young children and a few very old people in hospitals and nursing homes but most of us disobey laws on an hourly basis. Yet you are defining they same people as ethical, I think not. America needs change, the people need change, I don't know if we haven't always needed this change it is just the past is looked back at with rose colored lenses.
What is the correct path that the US should go for? Should we all be Quackers and non-violent? Should we all be like Mr. Chaney? Nice idea that we would all fit your idea of a perfect citizen but we may disagree on what that is? I may feel that the conflict/division is what makes us great.

Doug Grebe

December 31, 2008 05:15 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Seeking advice on an eclipse

Posted By Doug Grebe

I have no experience with taking eclipse pictures but I went to a lecture where a friend told of his experiences. He has been to several around the world and he uses an Ipod with a set of directions that he is suppose to follow. Stuff like when to remove the solar filter when to put it back on. He sets up a and practices using the ipod and all his equipment for weeks before the event and tries to work out many of the kinks before the event. He times out his ipod directions to start at a specific time and the pictures he took are great. He bought the new Nikon camera that will bracket through 9 different exposures so if clouds were in the picture he would still get a photo.

February 26, 2009 09:28 PM Forum: Religion

The Virtues of Godlessness

Posted By Doug Grebe

Interesting article and I agree

Doug Grebe

March 30, 2009 10:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

will this work...

Posted By Doug Grebe

No the telescope is too big and the
mount is too flimsy in my opinion.

Doug Grebe

June 10, 2010 12:35 AM Forum: Politics

Not yet law and already working!

Posted By Doug Grebe

The question that I have is how many of those children were American citizens. I think that probably many are and now we are not giving them the education that they should be getting.

Doug Grebe

June 15, 2011 11:28 PM Forum: Religion

Religion in public schools....

Posted By Doug Grebe

Morals and Ethics should not be taught but shown by all adults surrounding children.