My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Bruessow

April 27, 2002 06:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Canon EOS D60

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I am wondering if any of you have heard anything about the new Canon EOS D60 35mm format digital camera? The review on the following link shows a 4 minute exposure with virtually no noise! Huge array, 35mm format, can be used for everyday and astro use... hmmm.. sounds promising! Your thoughts... Maybe astrophotography/ ccd imaging will take another turn... I have heard rumbings on tech tv about a new chip perhaps this is it?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/page13.asp

August 17, 2002 01:30 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: celestron nexstar 114

Posted By Joe Bruessow

The scope has a built in barlow... I had one that I bought for fun a year or so ago and it wasn't bad for the $$$ spent... may I ask what you have observed or specific impressions you have had? ... What sort of 12" scope are you getting now?

October 12, 2002 07:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My first pics...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Well, I have taken the plunge into CCD imaging. I've been into visual astronomy for many years but have always been intrigued by CCD's. I have had a 12" LX200 for a few years and finally decided to give imaging a try. Last winter I purchased a $50 webcam and got some great images of the gas giants. Then I bought Ron Wodaski's book and realized that I am now knowledgeable enough about this technology to give it a try.

So, this past month I sold a couple of small scopes and bought a used ST7 non-E imager and a used Optec Maxfield f/3.3 reducer. This seems like a pretty good beginner set up with the equipment I have. I have attached the first of my images which is a 4 minute unguided exposure of NGC 891 I took last night (through a #8 yellow filter to reduce chromatic abberation introduced by the reducer). I want to learn how to get a respectable black and white image before even considering looking ahead to LRGB. Your tips for how to enhance this image would be greatly appreciated.

Second, a technical problem with my camera/ software (CCDsoft version 5). I can take fine unguided pics with the main CCD... but when I attempt to image with the guider chip in order to callibrate and autoguide the shutter does not appear to stay open. If I set the exposure to say 10 seconds the shutter dialogue box in CCD soft shows the shutter opening for perhaps a tenth of a second then shows it closed for the rest of the exposure and the resulting image looks like a dark frame with hot pixels. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I do click/ select the guider chip before the exposure... but am I supposed to do something else? Thanks!

October 13, 2002 01:32 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Technical problem...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Some of you may not have read my previous post about my first pics but at the end it asks about a potential problem with my camera (ST7) / software (CCDsoft version 5). I can take fine unguided pics with the main CCD... but when I attempt to image with the guider chip in order to callibrate and autoguide the shutter does not appear to stay open. If I set the exposure to say 10 seconds the shutter dialogue box in CCDsoft shows the shutter opening for perhaps a tenth of a second then shows it closed for the rest of the exposure and the resulting image looks like a dark frame with hot pixels. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I do click/ select the guider chip before the exposure... but am I supposed to do something else? Thanks!

October 16, 2002 02:41 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Best CCD mount for under $3,000

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I am thinking of getting a quality short focus newt. (approx. 10" to 12"), a C 9 1/4", or a Mak-Cass or Mak-Newt. in the 8" range for ccd and visual work. I'd like to hear recommendations on a mount. I know of several mounts but would like info from actual users. I wish the Williams Optics GT1 was still available but that appears to be gone? BTW... I was going to get a Meade LX200 GPS... and still may, but I want to look at all of my options... quality of photons is becomming more important than quantity as time goes on. Thanks

January 4, 2003 01:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telescopics Newtonian Primary Mirrors

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Anyone have any ideas as to the quality of Telescopics mirrors? Any first hand experience?
Thanks!

March 1, 2003 06:18 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn 2/28/03

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Not too good... but considering how bad seeing has been here in Michigan, I'll take it. 12"LX200 at f/18.

April 6, 2003 04:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

MI 250 Mount Thoughts...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I am considering one of these mounts for a 12.5" f/4.5 RF Royce Newtonian or a C14. Any thoughts on the tracking of this mount for CCD work with the proposed combos? Goto or older non goto version.

Thanks!
Joe

April 6, 2003 11:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

MI 250 Thoughts Please...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Repost... nobody answered before...

I am considering one of these mounts for a 12.5" f/4.5 RF Royce Newtonian or a C14. Any thoughts on the tracking of this mount for CCD work with the proposed combos? Goto or older non goto version.

Thanks!
Joe

May 14, 2003 01:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which would you keep?

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I have quite a dilemma... I have a 10" f/6 Zambuto dob but have just come into a 16" f/5 Intermountain Optics primary which could also be made into a fine dobsonian. I love planets and deep sky. Which would you pick and why? I can only keep one... as well as a C14, and a couple of small refractors, and...

I know... aknowledging you have a problem is the first step in the healing process.

Thanks guys...