My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Bruessow

May 31, 2003 05:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

10" f/6 Zambuto vs. 16" f/5 Intermountain

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Alright... I asked this before but the day is here. My 16" f/5 Intermountain Optics primary is here. Now I have to decide... complete a dob for this mirror or complete the 10" f/6 Zambuto dob I started accumulating parts for several months ago.

It is kind of raw aperture vs. reputation. I have heard good things about Intermountain Optics but have never looked through a scope with one. The Zambuto name is basically "beyond reproach" these days. I appreciate any opinions and experiences... especially with Intermountain Optics. Thanks!

July 5, 2003 08:14 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Help! Hooking up an ST7 to a Losmandy Gemini

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I am no electronics guru, and am relatively new to CCD imaging... so pleease be patient and help me out.

I have a C14 on an MI 250 goto mount with the older style Losmandy Gemini goto system. I am trying to hook up my old ST7 for autoguiding through the autoguider port on the Gemini. I have the optocoupler to protect the electronics... I used the standard autoguider cable (that came with the ST7) to go from the ST7 to the optocoupler device which then was attached to the autoguider port on the Gemini.

I tried to use this configuration last night. Unfortunately the gemini and ST7 did not appear to be communicating during the calibration. Every time I would attempt a calibration I would get the message that the guide star did not move adequately and indeed it did not appear to on the autoguider reference frame, even when extending the calibration times in X and Y up to 60 seconds.

Do I need to get a special relax box cable and not use the standard autoguider cable that came with the ST7? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

July 19, 2003 08:54 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

A bit more dabbling... M22

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I started imaging last fall with an old ST7 on my 12" LX200... now I've got a C14 and used an ST7 at f/ 3.7 to get this M22 image. I know the pixel size, etc. is not a great match for the C14 but I like the extra 2" of aperture for visual work... Anyway, your thoughts on this unguided shot of M22 I made last night? It is an average of about 40, 2 second exposures.

Seeing was about a 5 on the Pickering scale.

July 26, 2003 03:28 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars - 7/24/03

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I had a chance to image the other night... thought I'd post a sample from my upper Midwestern, jet stream/ unstable air plagued Michigan location. I am also to blame for the poor quality... I had the imager set at 320 x 240 and don't have a barlow for my new system. This is the first of many images to process from the session. Your thoughts?

July 26, 2003 07:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M16 from 7/18/03

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I took this M16 image on July 18th. I am just starting to get the hang of this. These are my first images through my C14 with an old ST7 and original Optek f/ 3.3 reducer. I combined (added) about a half dozen 90 second images. I posted my M13 and M22 images previously... Your thoughts?

July 31, 2003 09:05 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Another Mars...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Here is another fairly poor Mars image from the other night... not the best seeing.

August 15, 2003 01:17 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars from Michigan

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Seeing is usually bad here. I just got my powermate today so the image is a little small at prime focus but overall I am pretty happy.

August 15, 2003 08:22 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars from Michigan 8-15-03

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Shot with the powermate tonight. Had computer problems and missed the best seeing but not bad. I used my C14 with 2.5x powermate and ToUCam Pro.

August 16, 2003 08:34 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Is this Olympus Mons?

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Hey you Mars experts... Is the light, round feature at the 8:00 position along the limb in the image Olympus Mons?

BTW where is a good labeled Mars map that resembles what we see through a scope? I have looked with little sucess. Only major features are recognizably labeled.

Thanks

August 19, 2003 09:05 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars from Michigan 8/19/03

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Seeing was quite poor (5/10 Pickering) but I have figured out some things about my camera settings... wish I had figured them out when the seeing was good a couple of nights ago. Oh, well.