New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Joe Bruessow

January 11, 2004 08:03 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Anyone using these scopes for CCD?

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Hey Guys/ Gals...

Is anybody out there having good luck CCD imaging at f/6.3 or prime with the Nexstar 11, or the 12"/ 14" LX200 GPS scopes. I'm thinking of "downgrading" so I can afford a premium dob and imaging.

I will be permanently mounting the scope in my roll-off shed. I'd like details, like whether I can expect to be able to get through autoguide callibration. Can I get the long (10-15 min.) guided exposures I'd like? What are the specific shortfalls for imaging?

Links and comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

January 12, 2004 04:54 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Anybody using an LX200 for CCD?

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Nobody replied before so I'll post again...

Hey Guys/ Gals...

Is anybody out there having good luck CCD imaging at f/6.3 or prime with the Nexstar 11, or the 12"/ 14" LX200 GPS scopes. I'm thinking of "downgrading" so I can afford a premium dob and imaging.

I will be permanently mounting the scope in my roll-off shed. I'd like details, like whether I can expect to be able to get through autoguide callibration. Can I get the long (10-15 min.) guided exposures I'd like? What are the specific shortfalls for imaging?

Links and comments would be most appreciated.

Also, does anybody think an MI 250 can hold the Meade 14" OTA for CCD imaging?

Thanks,

Joe

January 21, 2004 03:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn again...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Seeing here in Michigan has been very poor (as usual) this winter. My first image of Saturn since October. I rushed this one... late and cold but wanted to "capture" the moment.

January 21, 2004 03:22 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn again... reprocessed...

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I did a little fiddling with my image including reducing te size... a bit more acceptable.

January 29, 2004 05:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

C14 vs. Starmaster 14.5"

Posted By Joe Bruessow

This should generate some lively discussion. I currently own a C14 on an MI250 goto mount. It is a nice set up that I have only had for 8-9 months. It was to be the start of a solid CCD imaging system. As many of you who have been in this group for the last 10 years or so know, I have owned many scopes... a 20" dob, 12" LX200, and a host of other smaller SCT's and rich-field refractors. I have just gotten interested in CCD work the last few years and been dabbling in it for about two.

Here is the dillema. I have been searching for a solid compromise scope... solid for both visual and CCD work. The C14's long focal length is a bit prohibitive for Michigan's normally poor seeing much of the year though. I have piggybacked most of my images on the beast. I can easily get a shorter f.l. scope for the mount also and swap out OTA's.

More to the story... I have always loved CZ's mirrors and there is a Starmaster 14.5" goto fully loaded not too far from me that many of you have probably seen available on A-mart. I keep vacillating on what to do. Keep the superior imaging system or get the ultimate visual observing machine.

Over the years, I find myself more drawn to planetary observing and imaging so the Starmaster would do that but hopes of taking those awesome CCD images that others post here would be delayed for a few years. I have even considered a Tom Osypowski platform for imaging with the Starmaster but again, more $$$.

Another aside... I also have a wonderful 10" f/5 Newtonian project near completion with a beautiful Alan Raycraft primary. I am sure it will throw up wonderful planetary images. I could also use that on my MI250 for planetary imaging... and obseve with it in dob mode.

Difficult decisions...

Thanks for your opinions/ input. Not that they will help much... but perhaps they will get me on one side of the fence or the other.

Looking at my toys and their costs... I should be thankful for all that I do have and a spouse that supports it all.

February 22, 2004 05:57 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ngc 2903

Posted By Joe Bruessow

This is my first image through my C14 (f7) on MI250 goto. I used an SBIG ST2000XM. This is my third color image ever... constructive criticism welcome.

Here are the exposure specs:

Lums = 2x2 binned 40 min.
Red = 2x2 binned 2 min.
Blue = 2x2 binned 10 min.
Green = 2x2 binned 10 min.

Thanks for looking...

February 26, 2004 07:56 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter from Michigan

Posted By Joe Bruessow

My first Jupiter of the season... seeing was pretty good last night. C14 at prime focus.

February 29, 2004 06:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter from Michigan 2/27/04

Posted By Joe Bruessow

Seeing wasn't great but I am pleased with the outcome... given conditions.

March 3, 2004 05:32 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Are you guys saying B.O. stinks?

Posted By Joe Bruessow

I have been considering one of these scopes for a while, but from the "fumes" that have been generated here it appears that B.O. stinks... at least for now. Does this seem correct? :^)

April 3, 2004 10:54 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M57... a first try

Posted By Joe Bruessow

After staying up all night (last might) I think I have solved a major autoguiding problem with my mount. I took the image in twilight this morning... C14 at f/7... lum = 2x2 binned 35min, Red 3x3 binned 10min, Green and Blue 3x3 binned 5 min. Minor guiding issues... but at least the guider is making corrections now!