Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

M13 RASA 11

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

March 22, 2020 09:24 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll

I’ll be happy if you or Richard are right, I’m not hoping for a bad outcome and will be grateful If I deserve to apologize for being as concerned as I am
Of course, we'll all be thrilled!  Frankly, I think my current outlook is much more like yours than it is like Richard's outlook though.  Unless you are pulling your punches.  This thread started with a "we need to do more to avoid 10M deaths" article, and it looks to me like most everyone on my patch of the nation is doing what the author suggested.  

By the way, it will be people like you who took this seriously early on who are responsible for a good outcome, if we have a good outcome.  So any apology would be really stupid.

Jim 

March 22, 2020 09:26 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Gee just as I predicted you and the rest would say either "Yes we were right and 100K people died" so you were wrong, OR you would say "Of course the numbers aren't as bad because WE took the initiative and stopped the spread by our amazing insight", but the right was wrong.

How convenient for you. 

You say you had it all correct either way.

But then I predicted a week or so ago that this was what the left would say. 

Shocker!  LOL  
The only thing that is certain is that you will misinterpret what me and anyone else has posted over the last few weeks.  

Jim

March 22, 2020 09:28 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Gee just as I predicted you and the rest would say either "Yes we were right and 100K people died" so you were wrong, OR you would say "Of course the numbers aren't as bad because WE took the initiative and stopped the spread by our amazing insight", but the right was wrong.

How convenient for you. 

You say you had it all correct either way.

But then I predicted a week or so ago that this was what the left would say. 

Shocker!  LOL  
Seriously, no trolling in your reply please.  Do you actually deny that the infection rate and death rates would be much worse, without the social measures currently being taken? 

March 23, 2020 01:05 AM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey


The drop on March 20th is indeed good news; I hope it's not just a statistical anomaly. By the way, I would never have called you a pollyanna if you had not referred to yourself that way in the past. I thought it was a moniker you wore with some pride. I did not intend it as a slur or in disrespect. My apologies if it came across that way.

On Edit: Dallas Co. just issued a shelter in place order. I assume Tarrant County (Fort Worth) will not be far behind. Hopefully, this will keep the spread under check until testing can catch up and be used to restart healthy societal life.
No worries James, you were absolutely right!  I do wear my optimism, irrational or not, with pride.  It is one of my defining features.

As you probably already know, the new cases data tomorrow is going to be way up, with most of the gain being New York.  As I've thought about it though, the evidence of curve flattening should not show up for another week or so.  We've only had closed schools and businesses for a week give or take.  It seems longer.   

Jim

March 23, 2020 01:10 AM Forum: Politics

Not That We're Counting But...

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
Since nobody commented on the veracity of the claims of our fearless leader, I'll assume you believe in reality and accept the fact-check from CNN. (Good choice!)
Now, as an aside, I'll link to a youtube presentation wherein Amazon Basics 5-30 synthetic motor oil is pitted against a very expensive motor oil called Liqui Moly made in Germany. Amazon Basics oil is the same as Supertech motor oil from Walmart and Kirkland motor oil from Costco and all are made by Warren oil out of Omaha and has been around making motor oil for around 100 years. So, this test applies to all the commonly available motor oils from the aforementioned sources. I'll cut to the chase and let you know Amazon Basics kicked butt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5i6Vevox4
Richard did not reply in real time.  So, according to someone we all know, that must mean he is hiding under his desk shaking like a scared puppy!  Obviously Rich totally terrified by the intellectual butt kicking you just laid down.

J

March 23, 2020 02:21 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

You know something Jim, in a couple of weeks, my guess is that this will turn out to be no more dangerous than a BAD flu virus that we have every few years in the USA.  

We don't stop the world from spinning and close it down completely, telling people they are under Martial Law, unable to leave their homes and if they are caught they will be fined $5000 and taken to jail in some states run by mental midgets.  

You want to believe that you are some prudent hero that saved the world from itself and locked it down because like a rolling stone, people glomed on to that rolling stone and got themselves more and more worked up into the frenzy that has now occurred, and give yourself a big pat on the back and tell everyone how great you are because YOU were so much smarter than the rest of us, who see this thing as really nothing more than hysterics run amok, BE MY GUEST.

I don't give a good God Damn if you want to delude yourself into believing that the "heroics" of the left and the right stopped a catastrophe that NEVER was, 

because I'll never be able to convince you otherwise that the entire world blew this whole event out of proportion, and WRECKED an economy for no good reason.

And Furthermore Jim if you Don't believe that much of this hysteria was purposeful by certain political factions TO DO JUST THAT in order to remove Trump from office, than you are more of a naive fool than even I gave you credit for being.   

Lastly, Jim take your regular smartass commentary above about Trolling and stick them where they belong, right up your ass. wink 
Wow, that went poorly.  I did not think that you would deny trolling...  What do you think all of your "Forrest" this and that and the general tone of your posts is, if not trolling?  I thought you would understand that I was reaching to something beyond your internet facade with this question.  You had mentioned before that you are not particularly nasty in real life, and I believed you.

So, I gather that you believe that the coronavirus would peak and subside, killing 50-80k or so in the US, similar to a bad flu season, without any societal intervention?  We disagree.  I am curious where you are getting your data.  It is inconsistent with what I have read.  By the way, some pundits you admire, including Mike Rosen, who was on KOA last week and Victor David Hanson as of this morning agree that the social measures are necessary and appropriate based upon their understanding of the disease.  We all worry about the economic impact.  But, given the huge downside risk to the US/world healthcare system, the economic impact is justified.

Also, being an optimist I am very confident that the economy will come roaring back when this passes - provided the disease does not get out of hand and kill off key sectors of society.  My views have evolved of course, as I have read more about this pandemic.

Jim

March 23, 2020 02:35 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

You said it was field report by one of his friends or did you forget that already? 

If it is second hand relaying of the situation by one of his friends, unless he gave it WORD FOR WORD, something could have been lost, omitted, or added in the translation.  

See numbskull, that is what is called HEARSAY evidence, and it is the very reason it is 99% of the time INadmissable in court, because people get thing wrong when they relay it, then that person relays it again.

Which is why (and dumbasses everywhere listen up because this is important) when They used nothing BUT hearsay against Trump in court, it was an outrage and why he should have not been removed from office in his impeachment trial.

See Superman, this is why we on the right side of the political forum kept stressing that during the impeachment, it was ALL based on hearsay evidence.

If you go back through this forum you'll notice that your hero legal counselor on this forum never seemed to bring that up any time we were speaking about it.

I wonder why that was???  angel
Probably because I understand, as did the founders, that impeachment is a political process, not a judicial process.  The Federal Rules of Evidence do not apply.  Also, given that Trump was in absolutely no danger of being removed from office under these facts, whether the D House managers relied on hearsay, followed the FRE, or spread outright lies, the hearsay really did not seem to matter much.  Trump's approval ratings were and have been remarkably stable throughout impeachment to now, so I think that if the impeachment changed the viewpoint of any potential voters, it changed the viewpoint of a very small group.

Jim

March 23, 2020 07:20 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Another left-wing loon who understands the need to take aggressive action to control the virus:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/22/steve_bannon_we_need_a_full_shutdown_right_now_go_full_hammer_on_the_virus.html

March 24, 2020 03:12 AM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

The US is currently third behind China and Italy in the number of confirmed COVID19 cases. We've definitely moved up the list in a hurry. Contrast that with Russia which has a bit over 400 confirmed cases and one death. Both Putin and Trump were advised by their intel services in January and the former acted immediately with pro-active measures that have thus far protected a country with 466 million people even though it shares a border with China and has many Chinese moving between the two countries. We're now at about 44,000 confirmed cases with about 550 plus deaths and escalating. So, naturally, I believe Richie...
I don't doubt that Russia was able to clamp down on it's citizens more quickly and effectively than the free-wheeling USA.  But, I've been wondering about China's reports of about 3300 dead, or Russia's reports of 1 dead!  

Not that it matters with respect to our efforts, but do you believe those numbers?  They seem awfully low to me.  Does anyone believe those numbers?  It is pretty easy to keep your numbers low if you just chuck your dead into a trench without determining a cause of death.

Jim

March 24, 2020 01:43 PM Forum: Politics

The Hammer and the Dance..... Why mitigation is not enough.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

P.S. one last thing, since you believe that the supposed "risk to the healthcare system is WORTH the utter destruction of this economy, and justified???????????

You truly are an absolute idiot.  
Rich;

"utter destruction of the economy" is hardly equal to what I actually said: "economic impact."  It is funny that you went to "utter destruction of the economy," when you've spent two weeks accusing others of being hysterical.  

Also, I suppose in your view this blatantly dishonest mis-quote is OK since you only used one quotation mark?  That is funny too, since you went all Strunk & White on Russ's important post yesterday.

Keep up the good work.

Jim