New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

July 29, 2020 10:29 PM Forum: Politics

Bye Bye Brian Stelter?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
While Jim may elect not to offer his opinion on the settlements, other lawyers have:
https://lawandcrime.com/media/some-lawyers-think-covington-catholics-nick-sandmann-walked-away-from-media-lawsuits-with-peanuts/
Hi Rod:

Yes, I'm no media lawyer and don't have an opinion.  Perhaps CNN did settle for nuisance value.  Even if this were true, I disagree with the pundits on the left who think this semi-exonerates CNN in the court of public opinion.  

Jim

July 29, 2020 11:25 PM Forum: Politics

Bye Bye Brian Stelter?

Posted By James Brown

Then you also disagree with the lawyer who stated, "... though a judge tossed most of Sandmann’s case, the few remaining claims that remained would not have survived discovery."
We are purely speculating agreed?  

My speculation is that CNN would not have settled if they were absolutely confident that; "the few remaining claims that remained would not have survived discovery." 

I think CNN took a huge public black eye because of this event.  I am certain that countless hours were spent in a CNN board room weighing that public black eye versus the risk of going to trial versus the cost of litigation and the cost of on-going press about the litigation, versus the cost of settlement and so on.

If they evaluated the risk of additional bad press and the risk of losing at -0- they would not have settled so early under even the most favorable terms.

Jim

July 30, 2020 12:05 AM Forum: Politics

Bye Bye Brian Stelter?

Posted By James Brown

Good points in your speculation. My speculation is that a nuisance settlement would be preferable to the risk involved in having the case heard in a potentially unfavorable venue if the case was being heard in a conservative state with a jury of peers sympathetic to the views of the plaintiff. Thus, the amount of the loss could exceed that of the insurance coverage, the publicity would be even more negative and a lengthy appeals process would continue into the foreseeable future with even more bad press. 
For sure.  You raise a very good point that the political climate in the venue is a huge factor in a high-profile politically charged case.  I'm very glad I don't have to worry about that in my day to day!

July 30, 2020 12:46 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Time to return this thread to it's original purpose - a place to rationally consider some fairly grim data.  As most of you know COVID 19 has surged in the South and Southwest.  This has caused the newly updated death curve below to show renewed vigor.  Meanwhile, the infection rates and deaths in the North East have slowed dramatically.  Why is this?  I have a couple of hypothesis, some commonplace, some maybe not.

1.  The NE is better at social distancing, mask wearing and other easy measures.  
2.  The NE states stayed "closed" longer.
3.  The level of herd immunity achieved in the NE is sufficient to make a difference.  These states had so many early infections.  If this is true, expect AZ and LA to drop soon, because these states have now passed NY in known infections/M.  See my next post.
4.  The virus raged in the NE in the spring where crummy weather forced folks indoors.  The virus now rages in the South and South West where hot weather forces people indoors.
5.  I'm interested in what factors you think are at play.

Bottom line, this pandemic has legs.  Be sensible, wear your mask, and avoid crowds - especially indoors where possible.  Jim

July 30, 2020 12:49 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown
Time to return this thread to it's original purpose - a place to rationally consider some fairly grim data.  As most of you know COVID 19 has surged in the South and Southwest.  This has caused the newly updated death curve below to show renewed vigor.  Meanwhile, the infection rates and deaths in the North East have slowed dramatically.  Why is this?  I have a couple of hypothesis, some commonplace, some maybe not.

1.  The NE is better at social distancing, mask wearing and other easy measures.  
2.  The NE states stayed "closed" longer.
3.  The level of herd immunity achieved in the NE is sufficient to make a difference.  These states had so many early infections.  If this is true, expect AZ and LA to drop soon, because these states have now passed NY in known infections/M.  See my next post.
4.  The virus raged in the NE in the spring where crummy weather forced folks indoors.  The virus now rages in the South and South West where hot weather forces people indoors.
5.  I'm interested in what factors you think are at play.

Bottom line, this pandemic has legs.  Be sensible, wear your mask, and avoid crowds - especially indoors where possible.  Jim
This graph shows that the infections per million in AZ and LA now exceed NY.  I never thought I'd see that.  Hopefully there is a modicum of legitimacy to the "early herd immunity" theory and AZ and LA will begin to drop precipitously.  The death rate in NYC is much higher than the Southern states, I believe because the states outside of the NYC metro area learned early on that it is critical to protect the aged and other vulnerable populations.  Jim

July 30, 2020 02:03 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump Wallace Redux

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown

I looked at several videos yesterday during my discussions with Greg.  I did not see any videos where the "protester/rioters" were up on the lawn.  Does not mean these videos don't exist - but I did not see them.  I did see videos where large guys were standing with their arms spread looking like they were holding a line that started at the lawn/sidewalk border.  Could have been staged.

Curious if the video showing an unlocked and undamaged gate being politely held open for the protester/rioters to enter the neighborhood pierced your bubble?  Did it modify your opinion of the event or call into question your opinion about the McCloskey's version of events in any way?

Jim
Hi Rich:

No thoughts at all?

J

July 30, 2020 02:43 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump Wallace Redux

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Similar claims can be made about the email hoax, the Benghazi hoax, the birther hoax, the Burisma hoax, the wire-tapping hoax, the wind-mill hoax, the inauguration crowd-size hoax, the voter-fraud hoax, the migrant caravan hoax, the Antifa-hoax, and the Rich Seth hoax. Heck, that's just the hoaxes that Republicans bought into hook-line-and-sinker since Trump arrived!
Hi James;

Is the email hoax Clinton's email server?  If so, that was no hoax.  Any other Government employee would have been summarily fired, prosecuted and jailed for keeping classified (or confidential) information on an unsecure server and for unilaterally wiping same under any circumstance.  Secretary Clinton got away with a crime that no one who is not positioned as she was ever gets away with. 

Jim

July 30, 2020 03:35 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump Wallace Redux

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Jim,

But her emails! Okay, maybe not a hoax, but certainly a fake scandal. I know we will never agree on this point though.
Hmmm.

Aren't you supposed to send me a large, rude, but surprisingly juvenile emoji when we disagree?

Jim

July 30, 2020 04:00 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump Wallace Redux

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

Congrats....you earned it again
Attaboy!

July 30, 2020 05:05 AM Forum: Politics

The Trump Wallace Redux

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Sure I've got some thoughts, but since you have adopted the leftist's tactics here, and have stated that you don't like my so-called LONG and RAMBLING posts, I decided that the only response I need to provide you from now on is this one: (hat tip to Greg for letting me adopt it)

LOL!

And btw counselor, wasn't it just about 2 weeks ago when you got your panties in a wad and told me that you thought I was such a lowlife for insulting all of your leftist "friends" on the forum, those here who have the same syndrome as you, massive TDS?

You told me in no uncertain terms that you wanted nothing to do with me.  Did you not?  wink

Believe me, I'm cool with that. Why aren't you?  tongue

My suggestion to you would be this, go vote for Joe Biden like you plan to, and prove just how uninformed and ignorant you are about his platform and your politics.

As I said before many times.  I actually give a damn about your kids and other young adults in our society who WILL have to deal with a Democrat Presidency and a Democrat Congress, and a party that has become a radical leftist party, one that plans to destroy this country because they hate the structure and the US Constitution.

Don't worry about it, I give a s*** about the young up and coming adults even if you don't.

I'll place my vote properly while you play little games and go vote for Joe Biden Kamala Harris because you don't like Donald Trump's personality.

That is what I think of your intellect as well.  I'm sure you haven't the vaguest idea of what the Dems have in mind. Your postings certainly indicate that you don't.

You never responded one time to the AFFH posting I made.  Probably because you don't have a clue about it and the left.

Realize this.  Kamala Harris will be in charge and she and the rest of the left are dangerous, even if you are too uninformed and are too naïve to recognize it.

Colorado is a lost cause now.  We are a blue state, so I don't give a damn that you are going to go pull the lever for Biden.  It is after all what TDS sufferers will do.

Hopefully I've made myself clear to you. I don't give a flying s*** what you think of me, and know that I'm not the least bit interested in any of your political opinions.  

Best of luck with Kamala Harris if God Forbid, she gets the nod over Trump. 

You'll deserve her, but your children won't.  wink
My question was about whether or not a McCloskey video showing an intact and unlocked gate affected Richard's opinion about the McCloskey case.  This is Richard's response (without the finger, which will not quote).  This my friends is a breathtaking, world class dodge.

Jim