New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

May 31, 2020 02:47 PM Forum: Politics

WHO suspends hydroxychloroquine trial

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

I don't play guessing games the way you do, as the facts are that nobody can possibly know even you, Oh Great Oracle.

Nice dodge.  I agree with you that many of the horrible things caused by or associated with with the national mitigation are very bad.  This is why it is critical to assess the number of dead and ICU patients and the economic impact of those dead and the effect on the health care system and the impact on the rest rest of the economy likely to have been caused by doing less or doing nothing.  We need to assess this impact to the best of our scientific and economic ability in order to perform the necessary cost benefit analysis.

I knew you would not answer by the way.

Jim

May 31, 2020 02:48 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

I don't play guessing games the way you do, as the facts are that nobody can possibly know even you, Oh Great Oracle.
Isn't Russ the oracle?  I'm the one.

May 31, 2020 02:51 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
Wait a minute. I though Lacey was Forrest. 
Definitely.  I'm not sure Rich has seen the movie, or properly appreciated it though.  Forrest Gump, in spite of his relatively low IQ was an achiever, a success story and a totally noble character.  Never made much sense as a pejorative nick name. 

Jim

May 31, 2020 02:56 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

So here is the question for you MEATHEAD.

Can you tell me that Dumbass?

What absolute Bullshit that is.  

Did that probability escape you?  

But for morons out there like you (obviously you are IMO)

I always wondered just HOW stupid you really are and this moment proved it to me in spades.

This clown is using figures of the KNOWN infected rate, rather than the LIKELY infected rate of individuals by Corona virus OR do you think we just HAPPENED to find all the people in the USA who had the virus or who currently have the virus and tested them?  

Any 1st Grade math student understands that fact but apparently it escapes you

you are without a doubt the Dumbest human being I've ever dealt on any forum in my life, be it political or otherwise.

Do you have any other stupidity to post?  If so, it can't possibly top this one.  

shocked
I recall Russ's post from several weeks ago.  He asked why any adult would voluntarily engage with such a rude and unreasonably nasty person.  That is a very good question.  One I'll be thinking about for sure.

Jim

June 5, 2020 07:00 PM Forum: Politics

George Floyd's Background

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

David, what is your point? In the Floyd matter, the policemen responsible for his death have been arrested. The Breonna Taylor matter is under investigation. 
Hi Darian:

I'm curious what your point was.  Why does it matter whether George Floyd had a dicey background?

Jim

p.s.  I'm not gonna watch the 18 m video, but I'll take your word for it that it shows Floyd had a criminal past.  

Jim

p.p.s.  I don't believe the protests are "exalting" Floyd.  I see the protests as being much more generally motivated by the treatment of blacks in America and particularly the treatment of blacks by the police in America.  Also, I am sure I disagree with many of the protesters and all of the looters on many issues, including the quality of 99.99% of the American police forces.  But the peaceful protesters certainly believe in a cause that is bigger than this one crime by one bad cop.  Thus, I don't see how Floyd's background has any relevance:  His background absolutely does not justify his murder, and the protests are much much much bigger than merely being protests against his murder.

Jim

June 5, 2020 08:41 PM Forum: Politics

George Floyd's Background

Posted By James Brown

Jim, where do you get the idea that blacks are treated badly in America? 
Hi Darian:

My point is that the non-violent protesters believe strongly that blacks are treated badly in America.  This belief motivates their protests, not any sort of adulation of Floyd.

I can see the protester's point, even if I do not completely agree.  It seems that some folks in the political arena have trouble acknowledging that those who are on the "other side" have sincerely held and often nobly motivated beliefs too.   

Jim

June 11, 2020 02:34 PM Forum: Politics

So, I guess you are all OK with this? #2

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
Care to comment on the tweet, Dick? Or, did you just come on here to belittle me?
Richard's participation here has fairly recently declined from "hard-core conservative and occasional name-caller" to "100% name calling, belittling and foul language troll"  I don't understand this unwelcome transformation at all.

Jim

June 11, 2020 02:46 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Well then James, you should be overjoyed and eagerly anticipating a Biden victory in November.

BTW, do you think blacks are an oppressed minority in America; I'm taking a poll?
Hi Darian: 

I think that blacks are still oppressed, but that systemic racism in the US has declined steadily too.  I am sad that the huge progress toward equality made in my lifetime is ignored in much of the discussion.  I think that the black community is responsible for many of their own problems as well.  I do not appreciate the re-definition of "racist" to include all whites.  Still, I believe blacks when they say that they are treated differently merely because of the color of their skin.   I am trying to understand the inherent bias underlying American life all the way down to the bias underlying a post like this one of mine.  It is not easy.

In other words, I think that black authors Thomas Sowell and Ta-Nehisi Coates can both make some good points.  Race relations is a complicated topic.  No one wants to discuss complicated topics in US today.  It is tribalism 100% of the time in 2020 political discourse.  We see it here.

Jim

June 11, 2020 02:52 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

As usual, the devil is in the details. The world is not a place that is full of binary and straightforward yes or no answers. 
Hi James:

Good post.  I'm glad these posts are date-stamped!  We seem to be on the same page, right down to the millisecond.  

Jim  

June 11, 2020 02:59 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

You probably should, since Trump's support is eroding across almost all demographic categories right now. The COVID-19 pandemic, the widespread demonstrations since George Floyd's death, and an economic downturn that started in February according to new financial data have laid-bare Trump's utter incompetence, his lack of political understanding, and his I'm a victim mentality. No one can predict what the national political ecosystem will look like in five months, any more than anyone could have predicted what has unfolded in the last five months. This much is for sure, though; Trump does not have the political instincts or the character to react to national crises in a way that benefits him politically. He has managed to alienate and turn-off voters in almost every demographic in the last five months. The only one he still holds steady in is white voters without a college degree.
Hi James:

I am starting to think that Trump is toast in November.  Obviously 5 months is a lot of time and Biden needs to present himself plausibly between now and then. 

Still, I'm thinking about D Veeps and Kamala Harris might be my first choice.  Her background appeals to me as a moderate Republican.  As I just mentioned, I am grappling with race issues (like anyone else who thinks about current events much).  Even so, I find calls to defund the police to be extremely, fatally, and tragically short-sighted.  A movement to defund the police is the sort of issue, if embraced by Biden, that would lock down my vote for Trump again.

In this environment does K. Harris have a chance on the left?  I hope she does, but I kind of doubt it.

Jim