ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC 1499 (California Nebula)

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

August 20, 2020 06:10 PM Forum: Politics

Trickle down is working as it should.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Steve Nugent

It wouldn't surprise me.  Most educated people are Democrats.  It's a fact.  Educated people get good paying jobs and then have extra money to invest, or they get stock plan and stock options where they work.

The stock market is not the economy.  The US economy is mostly based on consumer demand, which is low now due to the Pandemic and the failure of the Trump administration to have an early decisive response.
Hi Steve:

Nice to meet you.  The bolded part is a gross oversimplification.  Young people tend to be Democrats, especially in the social media era.   The youth are getting far more and advanced degrees than their parents.  Correlate your party affiliation data/education level data with age and you'll see some interesting patterns.    

But welcome to the forum.

Jim

August 20, 2020 06:14 PM Forum: Politics

Trickle down is working as it should.....

Posted By James Brown

I know what it is. I've owned a Tesla for 4 years now and I absolutely love it.  Best car I ever owned in 50 years.  Minimal repairs and only in the first year.  Zero maintenance really.  No oil spots in the garage.  The supercharging infrastructure is extensive over the US and Canada.  Travelling across the country is easy.  Charging for local travel is in your own garage.  It's too sweet!!

Also, Tesla is selling more cars than most high-end brands are in the US and even some places abroad.  The new Cybertruck is amazing and has more pre-orders than any other vehicle in history.

I have studied electric cars and I know that they are a LOT less expensive to own and operate than a gas car.  We are talking 3.5 cents a mile versus 16 cents a mile, not taking into account repairs.  This calculation is even using the average cost of electricity across the country.
I don't doubt that the cars are sweet, but that alone can not explain a 900% valuation increase in 52 weeks.  

Jim

August 20, 2020 06:24 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Another thing to be ashamed of as Americans.
This should be interesting.  Are you recently retired Steve?  Think you'll hang around much?  If you do you'll get the lay of the land pretty soon, but I'm one of several center-right or center-left moderates who have been hanging here for years.  I personally would love to see more participation on this forum, but it has its challenges.

Welcome again, Jim. 

August 20, 2020 07:44 PM Forum: Politics

The Leaders: Georgia, Florida & Texas

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Maybe you'll address the fact that your buddies here, the nutjob squad are continuously telling the world that Trump killed 170,000 Americans and you stay silent about their psychotic break from reality and their freakshow reality..  

Actually Rich, I called Russ out on that assertion.  Twice.  You are wrong again.

Jim  

August 20, 2020 07:52 PM Forum: Politics

The Leaders: Georgia, Florida & Texas

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Explain that BB. 
It is all discussed in a non-partisan manner here.  https://astromart.com/forums/commentary-careful-read-the-terms-of-service/politics/covid-19-data-and-graphs?page=1

Lots of good input and analysis.  

August 20, 2020 08:44 PM Forum: Politics

Another Sr Trump Official Sounds the Alarm

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
Ranties is the name of the award, right?
Yes, please feel free to cut them up and use them as you see fit!

August 21, 2020 03:26 PM Forum: Politics

Trump: Boycott Goodyear!

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

Just to deviate from politics, what was your observing session like?
Hi Darian:

I'm sure Jim M. will chime in, but I have been unable to get outside and observe/image for a week and a half.  It is very smokey here because of wildfires to the west and north.  Makes for great sunsets, but still a huge downer.

Jim

August 21, 2020 03:47 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

They would not leave it up to each state. 

Other developed countries are baffled by what is happening here.

Hi Steve:

Other developed countries are not the United States.  We are powerful, successful, and a great place to live.  But we are unwieldy, diverse, mobile, rowdy and free.  Free, open and mobile society has a cost and one of those costs is that we are exposed to pandemics.  That is a cost I personally am happy to pay.  Of course I have not gotten sick and died yet...  

I actually agree with Richard on many things, even though we spend all of our time here insulting, mocking and generally belittling each other.  Richard's point seemed clear to me in this instance.  Trump did not put those riders on bikes and send them to Sturgis.  They have personal responsibility for any resulting illness, not Trump.  

I doubt you have made the time to read this entire thread.  Can't blame you for that!  One of my themes is that the states are where mitigation should be handled.  Federal guidance and support is great, but ultimately health care must be left up to the states.  See the 10th Amendment.  This is one of many reasons the nation is still powerful, successful and free.  

Speaking of States, Oregon has done really well with the pandemic.  Less than 100 dead/M.  OR has now experienced the same late increase and decline in infections, but the infection rate is far less than your neighbor to the South.  Any insight into why the OR response has been so effective?  Mel should chime in too, I keep forgetting that he lives in OR too, when I post graphs.

Jim

August 24, 2020 02:00 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

I'm talking about the $300/week and then the states have to chip in another $100 or they don't get it, as if they can actually afford this.

BTW, you forgot to mention that I'm still pissed that Hillary didn't win.  This is on the list of Dem BS that gets parroted by all Trumpsters.  None of it is true.

Lets talk about some things that are true.  Republicans cannot win without cheating.  Practically every race has some kind of cheating in it, particularly Presidential races.  Secondly, an in-depth study of Dems and Republicans over the past 20 years shoed that m5X more republicans were indicted for felony crimes than Dems.  The statistics show that their values make them crooks.
So, my friends - the anti-Richard has appeared before us.  Sign of the beast, 666, that sort of thing.  I'm not a student of the Book of Revelations, but does this mean the end times are at hand?

Jim

August 24, 2020 09:53 PM Forum: Politics

Sisters Just Know

Posted By James Brown

Trumps next tactic is obvious assuming he gets elected.  It's the same tactic that all authoritarian dictators do:  Change the Constitution so that he and his progeny can rule as long as they live.  We cannot let this happen.
Steve, are you just trolling or do you believe the hogwash I've quoted? 

If you believe what you posted, then you have a profound misunderstanding of the strength of the checks and balances drafted into the Constitution by the founders.  In addition, if you believe what you posted, then I am curious what army is going to hang the Supreme Court, put Congress to the firing squad and imprison or execute the governors of the 50 states? 

You know, the sort of thing actual authoritarian dictators do.

Jim