ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC 1499 (California Nebula)

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

September 1, 2020 07:11 PM Forum: Politics

How bad are Democrats at running everything?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

The underlying cause of death in all of the death certificates was COVID-19. The underlying cause of death is, by definition, "The disease or injury that initiates a chain of events, brief or prolonged, which produces a fatal outcome."

To say these people didn't die of COVID-19 would be like saying that a person with stage-4 lung cancer didn't die of cancer, they instead died of a pulmonary embolism, when the pulmonary embolism would have never occurred without cancer.

We've always known that co-morbidities increase your risk of dying from COVID-19, just like with almost any respiratory disease. Just because you have co-morbidities and die after contracting COVID-19 does not mean that COVID-19 was not the cause of death. Only counting healthy people who die from COVID-19 as COVID deaths not only does not make any sense, it would also be entirely at odds with how death certificates work today. Death certificates not only list the cause of death, but they also list the mechanism of death. For example, they might list "Acute respiratory distress, caused by pneumonia, caused by COVID-19." The ARD may be what ultimately killed you, but you would never have had it if not for the COVID-19.
Hi James:

Well put.  Rich is arguing a meaningless distinction, as is his style. 

I am sure that he can find some percentage of people who were going to die in the next few weeks anyway, who then got Covid 19 in hospice and have it listed on their death certificate as a cause.  This offends him, I suppose because he apparently thinks the coroners and hospital administrators of the world are D hacks who are motivated in their day to day grind by the opportunity to make Trump look bad.  

Jim

September 1, 2020 07:25 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi James:

Well put.  Rich is arguing a meaningless distinction, as is his style. 

I am sure that he can find some percentage of people who were going to die in the next few weeks anyway, who then got Covid 19 in hospice and have it listed on their death certificate as a cause.  This offends him, I suppose because he apparently thinks the coroners and hospital administrators of the world are D hacks who are motivated in their day to day grind by the opportunity to make Trump look bad.  

Jim
When folks die with Covid they might be placed on a bell curve from "going to die immediately in any case" to "otherwise perfectly healthy." 

There is no real need to argue about how many people are placed where on this bell curve, because we track death by all causes by many regions.  Any region, for example New York City, the USA, Italy and so on has a baseline of expected deaths from all causes for a given date.  The data is collected over many years.  When something new comes along and causes a lot more deaths than expected, then we have an approximate answer to the question of just how bad the new death-causing event is.  Obviously, the real world is complicated - perhaps suicides and cancer deaths go up and automobile fatalities go down during social distancing.  Still, the excess death data is compelling and matches the deaths attributed to Covid pretty well.

For example, see here: 

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm#dashboard

Jim

September 2, 2020 04:31 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Yes! This data was my next salvo if Rich decided he wanted to move the goalposts once again or argue a distinction that doesn't matter. The data on excess deaths alone should convince anyone that COVID-19 has a real effect,
Hi James:

Do you suppose it is possible that we'll have the last word on this topic?  History suggests not!

Jim

September 3, 2020 02:41 PM Forum: Politics

I wonder how well this will go over with NFL fans?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

What racism is that? Everyone of them is making over a Million per year.  The blacks in the NFL outnumber the Whites at least 2 to 1, so where's the Racism?  
I think everyone knows that the NFL players are focusing on racism in society at large, not racism in the NFL.  Do you really think these athletes lose the right to protest racism, just because they are wealthy?  

September 3, 2020 07:14 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

James, do you think that racism is a significant problem in the US? As I've previously stated, I don't buy into this idea that blacks are an oppressed minority in the US. IMO, this is all for "show" and will accomplish nothing more than driving away more fans. 
That is a loaded question Darian, but I'll try to answer. 

I think racism is still a problem in the US, although I think it is lots less of a problem than it was in the past.  I don't think blacks are "oppressed" according to the traditional definition of that word, but I do think blacks are treated differently and far less fairly in many aspects of modern society. 

I recognize that the black social structure in many communities contributes a lot to the problems experienced by blacks in the US.  I am unsure whose fault that is - the absentee father or the society that limits his opportunities?  Probably a mix of both.

I recognize personally that I am not a black man and therefore do not appreciate the daily slights large and small that come with being a black man.  I give weight to the anger and sense of injustice felt by many in the black community - I don't think it is all for show.  I also give weight to contrary black voices.  I am biased to agree with Thomas Sowell more than I am biased to agree with Ta-Nehisi Coates.   I have read them both.  I think my bias is reasonably well founded (we all do), but it is a bias.  I can't forget that and still keep an open mind.  

I subscribe to Dr. Martin Luther King's definition of a racist as someone who judges another by the color of his skin rather than the content of his character.  I try to meet that ideal.  I do not understand the more modern definition of racism being an immutable characteristic of basically all whites of privilege.  In summary, I think that racism is still a problem, and a problem that we should be working on, but I do not think racism is the defining characteristic of modern America.  

Jim

September 3, 2020 08:20 PM Forum: Politics

The Bradykinin Hypothesis...

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by David Cotterell
Hi Dave:

Interesting article.  The bit about vitamin D about 4/5 ths of the way down reflects a podcast I listened to this weekend.  There is apparently a strong but poorly understood correlation between the severity of  a CV19 infection and vitamin D deficiency.  

Jim

September 4, 2020 02:46 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

If you are talking about the common phrase "white privilege," then what it doesn't mean is that whites got something for free, or don't have to struggle, or don't have hardships. We all have our crosses to bear.

All white privilege means is that you don't have struggles or hardships that are simply a result of your skin color being non-white. Think of it this way. If you have autism, then you have a mental disability that is no fault of your own that causes you significant and real difficulties. Just because another non-autistic person cannot identify with or truly understand those difficulties does not make them any less valid for the autistic person. In a sense, if you don't have autism, then you have "I'm not an autistic privilege."
Hi James:

Good explanation and very good analogy. 

To some extent white privilege is now equated with racism and is trending toward equivalence with white supremacy.  See the link below.  This devalues the words racism and white supremacy because these become words or statuses that whites can not ever elevate above.  I do not think that is good for the dialog and I don't understand the benefit to blacks of this transformation of words.

https://www.adl.org/racism

Jim

September 4, 2020 02:50 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

"I recognize personally that I am not a black man and therefore do not appreciate the daily slights large and small that come with being a black man.  I give weight to the anger and sense of injustice felt by many in the black community......"

Jim, do you think that black men are capable of "appreciating"  the daily slights that come with being a white man? Do they "give weight" to the anger and injustice felt by many in the "white community"? I'm assuming that since there is a "black community", there must be a "white community" as well? I guess I must be part of it, although I've never had a sense of belonging to any sort of racial "community".
Hi Darian:

I think there are orders of magnitude of difference between the negative social treatment of blacks and black men and any possible negative treatment of white men based upon the color of their skin.  I am not talking about individual bigots spewing hatred.  Those sad people come in all colors.  I am talking about larger social effects.  

Jim

September 4, 2020 02:56 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis
Why would I want to watch someone who hates my guts because I don't support their idiocy?
Wow, this line sure resonated with me, as a person who has enjoyed the Astromart Politics Forum for over 15 years.  More and more though, I find myself wondering if the welcome and educational interaction with most participants plus the guilty pleasure of slapping you around now and then is worth it.

Jim

September 4, 2020 03:36 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

".....the absentee father or the society that limits his opportunities?"

Jim, society is not limiting the opportunities of these individuals; that(IMHO) is just another leftist lie. 
Darian;

You and Rich seem pretty sure of that.  At least I know I got a 50-line rant from Rich, but I did not read much of it. 

I have a hard time believing that the blacks I know plus the blacks I've read who talk about the systemic social challenges they face are all suffering from self-delusion, or worse yet actively propagating a leftist lie.  I believe them.  Even so, do I think that BLM and other activists over-play their hand?  Yes I do.  But that does not make the underlying issue a lie.  

Jim