New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

May 26, 2022 08:47 PM Forum: Politics

2nd Amendment Fallacy

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown

James Lacey pissed off?  I have never seen that in my nearly 20 years here...  James is the epitome of cool, collected, and analytical.  Jim
In case you are confused, Rich, this is the sort of writing that indicates one is "pissed off":

"You challenged that, you lost, so get over it.

If your fat headed ego can't handle it when I beat back your BS and your false accusations that comes under the heading of too GD bad for you isn't it.  Deal with it.

So Drop dead James"

May 26, 2022 09:12 PM Forum: Politics

Meanwhile Down Under

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark

Back to down under, looks like Labor will have a majority in their own right in the house, but will need to support of the greens and/or independents in the senate.

A couple of other comments. richie, you were correct in that we got rid of the liberals because we were sick of how they were running things. However, you really did put your ignorance on show. In Australia, the liberals are the right-wingers, and under SoMo and Joyce, they went hard right. As a result, they lost much of their heartland and safest seats to independents. Also worth pointing out that labor also lost a seat to an independent. The link below is an excellent analysis of the election.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-26/australian-election-voters-rage-despair-major-parties-on-notice/101095010

In a nutshell, the voters were angry with how the liberals were treating issues such as women and climate change, and sick of the BS coming from the government. It is shame that independents have no chance in the US.

One other point richie, you really should try to educate yourself more. You claim that what happens in Aussie does not matter to you. It should. Australia is a major trading partner with the US and extremely important to the US interests in the Pacific and in countering China. Have you not heard of AUKUS or "The Quad"?

Maurice
Hi Maurice:

I always enjoy your input and perspective. 

My wife and I have been streaming an Australian (ABC) comedy/drama "Rake."  Set in Sydney.  If first aired about 10 years ago.  We are in the last season and have loved it.  It might not be your cup of tea, it is very irreverent, adult, and sometimes shocking.  Definitely R rated by US standards, but brilliantly acted.  It is absolutely hilarious, at least to my twisted mind.  They just went through an election in the last episode of season 4 and the first of season 5.  It seems the fictional results are not unlike the real results.  Have you seen it?  

Jim

May 31, 2022 04:42 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out there was NO school resource officer on the scene inside the school, so the killer wasn't confronted.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

So ok to draft them to go die but they cant defend themselves here right? Horse shit. If you are old enough to do all the things adults do then you are old enough to buy a gun and that includes drink as well. Either raise the age to 21 on everything including voting, draft or join the military. Make it all 21 or make it all 18.....anything else is severely hypocritical......
What about driving?  Do you want to drop the drinking and gun-buying ages to 15 or 16 to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy?

Personally, I think that some activities require more maturity than others.  I would be fine raising the draft to 21, btw.

May 31, 2022 04:58 PM Forum: Politics

It turns out there was NO school resource officer on the scene inside the school, so the killer wasn't confronted.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown

What about driving?  Do you want to drop the drinking and gun-buying ages to 15 or 16 to avoid the appearance of hypocrisy?

Personally, I think that some activities require more maturity than others.  I would be fine raising the draft to 21, btw.
Never mind, I see that the conversation has moved on since I checked in.  J

May 31, 2022 09:11 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

I said 18 or 21 for everything.....and I mean for anything that requires being responsible for lives other than your own. Your response about 15 or 16 year olds just means you are not prepared to be serious.....particularly by asking me if I want to lower it when I have made it pretty clear in several posts now I would rather see it go in the other direction.

I would also bet the military would not be fine with raising the draft to 21.....they want minds that can be molded still.....
Hi Greg:

I know that you would not lower drinking or gun buying to 16, but I am being serious.  I would guess that a lot more people are killed by 16 year old drivers than by 18 year old gunmen.  A lot more.  A driver is clearly and unambiguously responsible for lives other than their own.

I too am not for lowering the age to buy guns of course.  I am only pointing out that supporting different minimum ages for driving, drinking, and buying guns is not automatically hypocrisy.  You accused Russ of hypocrisy for supporting different minimum ages for different things.

The part of your post I highlighted is extremely important I think.  We appear to agree that 18 year old males are more "moldable" than 21 year old males.  The last couple of 18 year old shooters appear to have been molded (radicalized) by sinister on-line sources.  This apparent increased susceptibility of 18 year old kids to being molded or radicalized by on-line sources is the best reason I can think of to raise the age where one can buy a gun to 21. 

Jim

June 1, 2022 02:15 PM Forum: Politics

Georgia Re-elects The Village Idiot

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck

Doubt you could get a Marjorie Taylor Green or a Lauren Boebert if not for Sarah Palin blazing the trail.
Hi Jim:

We get the people we vote for and we get the people our parties nominate.  Shame on "we the people."  I blame the D's for Trump by the way.  You guys nominated a candidate who was extremely well known to be toxic to independents and republicans.  Also, the D mainstream press (CNN, NYT, ABC, NBC, CBS, WaPo) fought hard to ensure that Trump would be nominated.  Would Rubio or Bush have beaten Clinton? We will never know.

Jim

June 1, 2022 03:24 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Mel Maki
"Four dead in OHIO"
I love that song.  Neil and I don't agree on much politically, but I really like his music.  

June 1, 2022 08:17 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

I suppose that's why Hillary won the popular vote, because she was toxic to independents and Republicans? Huh?! 
"In two key states that President-elect Donald Trump won, his margin of victory was smaller than the total number of votes for Green Party nominee Jill Stein."
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/308353-trump-won-by-smaller-margin-than-stein-votes-in-all-three/ 
Don't be pedantic and ridiculous Rod.  I never said or implied she was toxic to all Rs and Is.

HRC lost because Trump won a few key battleground states.  The EC is everything, as you know.  This is not disputable.  Why did Trump win these battlegrounds?  In my opinion, because HRC was toxic to enough Rs to tip these states to Trump.  A better D candidate would have won easily.  A stray dog with a note in his mouth saying "elect me" could have beaten Trump!

Biden won the key battlegrounds four years later because he was able to attract more R and I votes in the key states.  I suspect that 4 years of Trump had a lot to do with it too.

Oh, and lest I forget, this is my opinion!  Maybe Trump's mean tweets were the key!  Or maybe it was Russia!  There, I think I have covered my opinion and the opinions of the wingnuts.

Jim

June 1, 2022 08:58 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Ah huh...
Coming back on topic, Margi is too, now claiming Canada's proposed ban on handguns will it make vulnerable to an invasion from Russia!
https://news.yahoo.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-mocked-saying-173020551.html
Good to know.  You have a lot more time to follow the tweets of MTG than I do!

June 1, 2022 09:08 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

We indeed get who we vote for, but it's also true we get a system that doesn't always work well for the people's will. The electoral college, the Senate, the filibuster, gerrymandering, campaign finance, corruption, and lack of ethics, constantly work against the people's will, whomever we elect. I know you know this. I merely wanted to point out it's far more complex than simply who we elect.
Fair points. 

I also acknowledge that I am a more in favor of institutions like the EC, the Senate, and the filibuster than you are.  Possibly a lot more in favor of these institutions than you are.  In my view, these institutions help save us from the tyranny of the majority.  I say this knowing well that the composition of the majority swings from time to time.

Obviously neither of us are Ok with corruption, gerrymandering and unethical practices.  These sorts of things do not advance the will of the people one way or the other though.  These merely enrich or protect the elected class and their enablers.

Equally obvious to me, (although maybe not to the forum right wingers) we both also cherish the Bill of Rights which protects everyone from government overreach, even though we might disagree on interpretational nuances.

Jim