Image of the day

Captured by
Patrick Forster

Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

June 7, 2022 07:19 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by David Cotterell
  Those taking the position  that the intentions and written opinions of the 18th century men who wrote these documents and the early amendments are inviolate and must still be considered 'correct' in the 21st century will have to consider that many of these same men owned slaves and all of them advocated that only land-owning white men could vote.   These latter 'opinions' have been moderated in modern times, for very good reasons, but the 2nd has not.. 

Either consider all of the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the various amendments in the most modern terms or none of them.  You can't pick and choose. 

Dave
I get your point Dave, but the big difference is that slavery and a broader right to vote for women, blacks, 18 year olds and so on were modernized by constitutional amendment.  The 2nd Amendment could in theory be similarly modernized, but the political headwinds would be immense in 2022.  I'm not sure of the actual percentages, but maybe 1/2 of Americans want relatively unrestricted gun ownership rights.   

I think a vast majority are in favor of the restrictions on gun ownership that we do have.  Even so, there is a lot of slippery slope arguing on this issue.  Jim

June 7, 2022 10:16 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll
We have always had restrictions on what arms you can own and who can own them. The only question is what the restrictions are.
Exactly.

June 7, 2022 11:06 PM Forum: Politics

Cheney: Jan 6: "An Extremely Well-Organized Conspiracy"

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

How did Joe Biden help me?

All he's done is wreck the economy.

I guess you're now full blown liberal and just make up things as you go along?

Otherwise please explain how Joe Biden sold the building I built myself by my own 2 hands and how he made the sale.

Your whole premise is like most claims of Democrats, which is that you say whatever weird thoughts are in your head.

I'm just happy I did it on my own without a realtor who would have taken 10% of the cut.

Plus, I had 4 offers from various people.  

I ended up getting $10K more than the first offer, and the first offer was one where I was including all my industrial cabinet shop tools in the sale.

The 2nd guy couldn't get the loan.  I think he failed to qualify because of Joe Biden. 

The 1st guy was too late in his attempts to get the loan, so he lost out because of Joe Biden as well.

The 3rd guy had money in the bank and he bought my buildings and my land to help his nephew build a house, and they didn't want my equipment which I priced out at over $80K.   He and his nephew are staunch conservatives and Trump supporters and he knows that I am as well.

So actually it appears that Donald Trump helped me sell my building and got me $90K MORE than I otherwise would have realized on the sale.

Thank you Donald Trump!   grin

Now its your turn to tell how Joe Biden helped me.

I'm very interested in your illogic.  Please do tell.  smile
Unreal.  Were you born without a sense of humor, or did you lose it along the way?  Russ was obviously teasing you because of your asinine post of two weeks ago blaming the stock market downturn on Biden.

June 8, 2022 04:15 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey


Rich, no one cares that you are once again misrepresenting what people say to attack them. Anyone who cares, and I promise you no one does, can look at what I said and decide for themselves. When you do this, I always wonder what you hope to achieve? This would be easier if you merely admitted you misquoted me and moved on. But you won't. You will continue to twist, manipulate, and misquote me until you have worn out, any sane person's desire to care anymore. No one, and I mean no one, has the stamina to go back and forth with your repeated nonsense.
I thought Rich was going to back off the debate here for a while.  You know, set up his shop and do some woodworking...  Didn't he say that just the other day?  Maybe I misunderstood.  

June 8, 2022 04:26 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey


Rich, no one cares that you are once again misrepresenting what people say to attack them. Anyone who cares, and I promise you no one does, can look at what I said and decide for themselves. When you do this, I always wonder what you hope to achieve? This would be easier if you merely admitted you misquoted me and moved on. But you won't. You will continue to twist, manipulate, and misquote me until you have worn out, any sane person's desire to care anymore. No one, and I mean no one, has the stamina to go back and forth with your repeated nonsense.
Hi James: 

Well put.  

Didn't Beto say he wanted to confiscate AR type rifles after the shooting in Texas?  I don't have the time to look it up.   I know that his was an off-the-cuff remark, and I know that Beto is a publicity hound, and probably not a serious politician etc.  But this is the sort of statement the slippery-slope maniacs grab upon. It is frustrating.  As if raising the age to buy an AR from 18 to 21 inexorably leads to confiscation of your hunting rifles...

I think abortion and gun regulation are the two topics where slippery slope fanaticism is most prevalent.  This dynamic all but eliminates the opportunity for reasonable regulations short of a ban.  Funny thing is, the hard-core advocates already live with a raft of regulations that have not led, "give an inch, take a mile" style to unfettered abortions up to birth or gun confiscation.

It would be nice if people debated the middle ground of reasonable and popular regulations.  I think the quiet majority on both issues would endorse reasonable regulations in the middle that are consistent with Heller/2A and Roe.  

Jim 

June 8, 2022 04:33 PM Forum: Politics

The Terminology Of The "Assault" Rifle

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer


Yet you still understood the point.....guess you suffer from an intelligent version of cognitive dissonance smile 

We all understood your point, but you did misuse the well known phrase' "preaching to the choir."  Not even worth mentioning that by itself, but in context it was funny.  It was an inadvertent joke!  I thought it was funny anyway, and I certainly was not laughing at you.  I was laughing at the phrase "preaching to the choir" in context, which would have meant Rich and Mel.  Not that it matters, but what the hell, nothing we post here matters.

June 8, 2022 04:36 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by David Cotterell

Yes, don't we all, though?  There can't be more than 25 people who, even on the rarest of occasions, post in the Politics Forum.

Vital, fundamentally important debate, at the very core of the issues of the day...totally bound to influence government policies in at least two countries.  IMPORTANT!!!

Do you ever wonder what some sort of cyber-archaeologist from 1000 years in the future would say about us if he stumbled upon this forum?

Dave
I think the future archeologist would like us and this forum, since we use our own names.  Also, this place is much more informative about events and gives better insights into interpersonal interactions than something bland and huge like FB.  You are right that it is a small sample size though...  

June 8, 2022 04:52 PM Forum: Politics

The Terminology Of The "Assault" Rifle

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer


Ohhh I get it....Lacy was doing to me exactly what he accuses Rich of doing and you think you need to back him up lol 
No.  I'm sorry you think that.

June 8, 2022 05:41 PM Forum: Politics

The Terminology Of The "Assault" Rifle

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Hmm, just wondering why it's so lethal in all of the mass shootings?...
Hi Rod, Mel, Greg, James, Rich and everyone.  This long discussion of the relative lethality of the AR-15 style rifles is interesting, but I think it misses the key point.  School shooters favor the "assault rifle" weapon not because it is particularly lethal.  They favor it because it looks bad-ass and they are almost universally copying previous school shooters who used this weapon, like Klebold and Harris at Columbine.  The magazines are nice too - how many movies feature a hero or villain dropping a spent magazine to the ground while clicking in in a fresh one?  The answer is virtually every action movie or shooter game ever made.  

Much of this was in the Secret Service report Rich posted a few weeks ago, which was really informative.

I would bet anything that not a single school shooter of all time knows a quarter as much as you guys do about guns, shooting range, stopping power, the lethality of various rounds and so on.  They don't care about that stuff at all.  These shooter want to extract revenge on their alleged oppressors, and they usually want to commit suicide and achieve infamy by taking out as many innocents as possible, in as dramatic a fashion as possible.  So they want bad-ass looking guns.  Again, see the secret service report.  So they copy the endless succession of school shootings featuring AR-15 style rifles.  These are the weapons that look menacing in the movies and video games, and these are the weapons chosen by Klebold and Harris.  The magazines clip in and out dramatically.  That is about it as far as weapon choice goes for the school shooter.

So, is it legit for society to regulate an otherwise fairly normal gun because it looks menacing, just because it is the gun favored by copy-cat school shooters?  I think this is a legitimate line of debate and I think both sides can make good points.  Arguing about the actual and objective lethality of the AR style rifles kind of misses the point, in my opinion.

Jim

June 8, 2022 06:38 PM Forum: Politics

A Well Regulated Militia.....

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Mel Maki
I also did not see Dianne Feinstein say she would take them all. It was a dream! And these are just the liberals that made a mistake and said what they really thought!
What is your point Mel?  It is not like James disagrees with you, no matter what Rich says.  You're an engineer right?  Filter out the noise.  

"I have little doubt that Beto and others would love to confiscate all the AR-type rifles, but they know that is not practical, as do we all."  Therefore, no gun confiscation legislation has ever been voted on, to the best of my knowledge.  Even when the Ds controlled the presidency, the Senate and the House.

Jim