New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

June 27, 2022 05:24 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by David Cotterell
Oddity:  The Supreme Court ends a constitutional right to obtain an abortion , saying it should be left to the States to decide, right after it just imposed a constitutional right to concealed carry of firearms, saying it cannot be left to the States to decide.

Dave
Not odd at all Dave.  The 2nd Amendment is part of the Constitution.  The "right to privacy" is not part of the Constitution as of Friday.  Issues not included in the Constitution are left to the States, according to the Constitution.  Jim

June 27, 2022 05:26 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

I'd add that the public's perception of the supreme court, commonly referred to these days as the Thomas court, will sink from floating in the toilet to an actual flush and, therefore, the credibility of it is unlikely to remerge for years to come. At worst, we've witnessed the actions of the court from limiting voting rights to overturning Roe v Wade and at best, we will see the results on their actions in the political arena with the consequences aptly noted in your post...   
First I've heard that one.  Ever.  Seriously.  James, Greg, Jim, Dave, Richard, anyone...  Have you heard of the Court being referred to as the Thomas Court?   

June 27, 2022 05:33 PM Forum: Politics

At Least 6 Justices still believe in the Bill of Rights

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

We don't need him.  He lives in California.  His vote is completely meaningless.  There could be 2 Million just like him in California and if all of them voted for whichever Republican becomes the nominee, California will still be a blue State.  There aren't enough of "him" out there in California to change the vote there.

The state is a lost cause.  
How about CO?  Are we a lost cause yet?  I think the GOP needs me.  As a matter of fact, my primary vote will hopefully advance the R Senate candidate who has a chance against Bennett.  You know who I am talking about.  The reasonable R candidate who is not the beneficiary of false flag donations and ads from the left, just so they can advance a Trump clone for Bennett to stomp.   

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/09/dems-meddle-in-colorado-senate-gop-primary-00038294

June 27, 2022 05:34 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll

I’m moving to CO just to cancel out your vote.
Let me know when you get here.  We'll do lunch and maybe spend some time in the observatory.  Bring wine.  

June 27, 2022 05:36 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Mel Maki
We might need him. What are the odds abortion could increase turnout so much that they do not get stomped in Nov? Which I thought was a sure thing.
Any truth in the statement, "If Hillary would have campaigned in Wisconsin there would be 3 fewer cons on the court."
I cannot turn on the computer now without seeing some body writing that Obama lost a thousand seats during his presidency.
Not great for building his party.
I think that is probably a true statement.  It amazes me to this day that the D's nominated the one person on Earth who could lose to Trump.    

June 28, 2022 02:40 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

When did I say that?  Can you be specific?  Why would you assume that I felt the same about Colorado as I do about Cal?
Rich, please reread my post.  The punctuation matters.  Especially the question marks.  You are always set to DEFCON 1.

I was obviously asking whether you feel that CO has become a "lost cause" D stronghold like CA.  I don't think so, but it is getting close.

Jim

July 14, 2022 03:34 AM Forum: Politics

Let's talk the Science.

Posted By James Brown

I can't get the quote function to work...  But the part of your post that I am replying to is this:

"Does "Life" begin at conception?  Yes or No.

I'll check the yes box. 

And just for the record, I don't expect any libs to answer.  Its an inconvenient question.

Perhaps nobody will answer."

I would answer that a life does indeed begin at conception.  So I would check the "yes" box too.  Anything that grows and develops organically is obviously alive.

I would say however, that life alone is not dispositive of the abortion question.  In my opinion, the more relevant question is a moral/legal/ethical question: "When along the timeline from conception to birth, and under what circumstances of conception, does the new life acquire a right to continued existence that supersedes a woman's right to control what is going on within her own body?"    Jim

July 19, 2022 03:38 PM Forum: Politics

Let's talk the Science.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by David Cotterell

Are you having a stroke or something?  Did you actually type those words while sober?  Are you projecting?  

JFC, this might be the worst thing I've ever seen posted in this group...

Dave
Hi Dave:

I'm trying to figure out how to give Darian the benefit of the doubt here.  Having a tough time with it.  Legally, morally, ethically and anyway you look at it, ten year old girls can not form consent to have sex.  The perpetrator is immoral, evil and a criminal.  As a society we have a shared obligation to protect children.  This comes natural to most people.  It is evolutionary programming for most mammals.  Everyone who is not a savage ought to have a problem with any sex between an adult and a ten year old.   There are no exceptions.

Darian, can you explain where you were going with this?     

Jim

July 19, 2022 03:42 PM Forum: Politics

Let's talk the Science.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer
While I am uncomfortable with even having an opinion on the issue given it is women who are the ones that carry the bulk of weight on the issue, after some hard thought I would reluctantly support some commonsense law on the issue. 

No abortions past 15 weeks PERIOD with exception for severe health issues ie life threatening. All the other talking points rape etc can easily be dealt with before 15 weeks. 
Agreed.  This is a lot like many other countries' statutes.   I would support this even though I am pro-life personally.  

July 19, 2022 03:50 PM Forum: Politics

Let's talk the Science.

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

Dave, I think you need to stop and think clearly. If the girl is capable of becoming pregnant, she has reached puberty. She was "reported" as 10, perhaps she was closer to 11. 

I think the question I asked Rod is not "out of bounds". He seems to have a somewhat callous attitude toward the killing of human beings in the womb. I simply asked whether he has any moral problem with the situation I posed. Rod is obviously under a great deal of stress lately, having to face the fact that killing the unborn is less convenient.
Hi Darian:

Hopefully a misunderstanding, but the language you used in your post made it sound like you have no problem with an adult having sex with a 10 (or 11) year old girl, so long as she "consents."  Apologies if I was misunderstanding your post.  Jim