Nick Wightman

Milky Way above the Grand Canyon Star Party

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

June 4, 2024 12:16 AM Forum: Politics

Nikki Haley just the other day decided to say "I'm voting for Donald Trump" She shows that she put the good of the nation over her own ego and her anger

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Er, ah, that presidential pardon of Nixon by Ford didn't work out too well for Ford now did it? In fact, it was widely believed to be the reason Ford lost the election.

Different circumstances.  Ford was in Nixon's party, as I hope you remember?  Hard to claim the moral high ground in that instance.

June 4, 2024 12:19 AM Forum: Politics

Nikki Haley just the other day decided to say "I'm voting for Donald Trump" She shows that she put the good of the nation over her own ego and her anger

Posted By James Brown

And, oh please, stop with the conspiracy theories about Bragg and Biden and other AGs. It's not uncommon for various AGs to visit the WH under any administration.

Dude!  You brought it up.  I don't care if Biden coordinated the whole dang thing.  Biden's team's involvement (or not) is irrelevant to the NY law and the prosecution.  It's hardball politics either way.  I remain of the opinion that Biden loses in any case.  Hope I'm wrong.

June 4, 2024 12:27 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Just as an aside, I happened to have my ophthalmology appointment today and I'm fortunately stable at 20/20 without glasses with normal advanced imaging scans of the retina and optic nerves and peripheral fields. So, thankfully, it looks like I'll have another unimpaired year of visual observing. That's the good news. 
Congrats!  My eyes have been about -2.5 nearsighted for ever but it is easily corrected with contacts.  I do have to add reading glasses for daytime reading.   But then, when I take my contacts out and read in bed I can focus perfectly on the book.   So, it all works for me.  I have avoided Lasik or other corrections because I fear haloes or the like for astronomical viewing.  The contacts are no big deal.  

Speaking of pristine optics, did you notice the hummingbird photos I posted in the "Birding Optics and Photos" this morning?  First post there in a couple years...  Anyway, my prized possession, a late model Astro-Physics Traveler really struts it's stuff!   J

p.s.  My favorite.  Several more in "Birding"

June 4, 2024 12:29 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

That said, I expect the Roberts court to hear the appeal and overturn the conviction...
Last one.  Talk about your conspiracy theories!   Trump could be dead of old age before this ever gets to the Supremes!  The New York courts of appeals will overturn this first.

June 4, 2024 09:55 PM Forum: Politics

Not Politics... but...

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark
Hi Everyone,

I know it is not politics but I thought this was too interesting to pass up.

At the local astronomy club meeting last night. one of the members brought his restored 1930 Essex. Not only fully restored, but being an amateur astronomer, he fitted LEDs to the interior ceiling designed as constellations with the stars the correct colour and the back window is a photograph of the Andromeda galaxy!

Stuff the photos of the eclipse and the aurora, the car was the hit of the night! smile

Maurice
That is really cool!

June 5, 2024 07:10 PM Forum: Politics

Not Politics... but...

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
Always fun to see a nice example of Detroit metal.

Speaking of which, my niece, who works for Ford, invited my son and I to the grand reopening of the Michigan Central Train Station which Ford Motor Co. spent years restoring it to its former glory. I used to think of it as a big huge tombstone that you'd see driving into the city from the southwest and it sat abandoned for 30 years. 

It'll be used for Ford's electric car division, as a public space, and for offices and I think a hotel. There is a free concert with Diana Ross, Jack White, and a slew of Detroit acts including the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Eminem is producing it and will probably appear, too.

If you saw the movie Batman Vs. Superman the fight scene between them was filmed in the ruins of the train station before Ford purchased the property.   

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2024/06/03/michigan-central-station-opening-photos-tour/73785367007/
Awesome restoration project!  Have a great time at the reopening!

June 5, 2024 07:17 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark
Unfortunately Rod, that could also be interpreted as meaning that over 80% think he is NOT guilty.  sad

Maurice
I would hope that most objective people on the right and the left do not question the jury's verdict in view of the instructions and evidence.  I would also hope that well meaning objective people on the right and left, do indeed have serious questions about the way this statute is structured, this trial was handled, and the way the statute was leveraged to advance a time-barred misdemeanor into a felony. 

I think it is very likely that the Court of Appeals in NY will overturn the convictions on due process grounds.

June 10, 2024 04:37 PM Forum: Politics

Legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said Wednesday he thinks Aileen Cannon, the federal judge presiding over former President Trump’s classified documents case, is “trying to kill this prosecution.”

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

DS in Texas stated:   

I never defended Clinton's sexual scandal, and personally thought he should have paid a much higher price for his lapse in moral character than he did.

Now that is f'in laughable.  I can recall very distinctly You and the rest of the hypocrites here claiming that Monica Lewinsky was "willing and consented" "she is an adult", and your usual "Nothing to see here, move along".

Back in the day, your regular mantra was that none of the women had proven a thing and that he hasn't been charged with rape, so go tell your bullshit above to some other leftist who will support you.

Your horseshit lies and crapola aren't what you claimed back in the day. 

I am sure James Lacey never said anything along those lines.   I have read nearly everything James has posted for over 20 years. 

Here is another thing I am pretty sure about.  I don't believe that you were even on Astromart in '98 when the Lewinsky scandal broke and Clinton was impeached.  I was not, and I know you came long after me.  So the part I bolded above is (in my opinion) a complete fabrication.

I know what you will say in defense too, that you were "talking about alleged justifications made by James and others many many years after the fact."   I think your likely excuse is bogus too, because I know James' posting style really well, and he would not have said what you claimed.   Also, the expected cover story is contradicted by your use of "back in the day" twice.

June 10, 2024 10:08 PM Forum: Politics

Legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said Wednesday he thinks Aileen Cannon, the federal judge presiding over former President Trump’s classified documents case, is “trying to kill this prosecution.”

Posted By James Brown

Anyways, I thought you were done with this place?
You kidding?  I love the dialog with you, James, Rod, and everyone else - especially in election years.   I've been seriously curtailing my interaction with Richard for some time now, but like I mentioned the other day, sometimes it is fun to point out his idiocy, so I am reserving my right to make a fool out of him now and then, to correct the record and because it is fun. 

For example, If Richard really thinks James gave Clinton a pass... well in that instance Richard is simply illiterate, and it was fun for me to point out his idiocy.  Richard made up a tall tale and then attributed it to "back in the day."  I doubt even Richard believes his own BS.   Sheesh, James is extremely supportive of women as anyone who has read his stuff would know.   I am entirely positive James found Clinton's behavior reprehensible.  In the first case, because James said so.  Secondly, because it would be out of character for James to condone or cover for a male authority figure who had sex with an intern, whether she consented or not!   Of course, James would not even think of condoning rape whether proved or not.

Heck, James was a lot more supportive of Christine Blasey Ford than I was, and it was not for political reasons!  He simply found her to be credible.   Richard's take in this instance (like so many others) was ridiculous, and I felt like ridiculing him!

June 11, 2024 01:19 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

No, I'm not kidding. 
My bad - I thought the "aren't you done with this place" quote was directed at me... see post 14.

Anyway, I also saw Davis's fit and his empty promise to be gone.   You spun him up something fierce.  It's a shame he can't keep his word.