New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

June 14, 2024 04:55 AM Forum: Politics

Three More "Failure To Disclose" Trips From Mr Ethics, Clarence Thomas

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
"Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed to disclose three trips that were paid for by GOP mega-donor Harlan Crow, according to information obtained by the Senate Judiciary Committee and released Thursday."

“Nearly $4.2 million in gifts and even that wasn’t enough for Justice Thomas, with at least three additional trips the Committee found that he has failed to disclose to date,” Senate Judiciary Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said in a statement."

https://thehill.com/homenews/4720980-clarence-thomas-fails-to-disclose-three-harlan-crow-trips-senate-records-show/

Thomas , through a scotus spokesperson, refused to respond to a query by CNN. Of course not, being this is the most corrupt and arrogant and partisan SCOTUS known in the history of the country. The boys from the federalist society back at ya...
Did you notice the 9-0  mifepristone decision today?   Harlan Crow must have bought them all?

June 14, 2024 05:17 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Your point for Rod's benefit is valid, but didn't the SC refuse to hear the case on standing? Which means the anti-abortion groups will be back. Kudos to the SC for a proper ruling, but the feud is far from over.
You are right on all points of course.  Nothing wrong with tossing a case on standing in my opinion.   The last thing the system needs is scads of busybodies litigating “noble causes” with no real skin in the game.

today’s opinion on bump stocks is disappointing on the merits. I have not read it yet, but the impression I got from a radio story was that it is based in a curb of executive authority, rather than a second amendment expansion.

Posted By James Brown

Your point for Rod's benefit is valid, but didn't the SC refuse to hear the case on standing? Which means the anti-abortion groups will be back. Kudos to the SC for a proper ruling, but the feud is far from over.
You are right on all points of course.  Nothing wrong with tossing a case on standing in my opinion.   The last thing the system needs is scads of busybodies litigating “noble causes” with no real skin in the game.

today’s opinion on bump stocks is disappointing on the merits. I have not read it yet, but the impression I got from a radio story was that it is based in a curb of executive authority, rather than a second amendment expansion.

Posted By James Brown

June 14, 2024 08:56 PM Forum: Politics

The 538 Election Prediction

Posted By James Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Fb0FV8PGo
What is The executive summary. I don’t want to wade through YouTube!

June 14, 2024 08:58 PM Forum: Politics

The Clarence Thomas Rationale For Overturning The Bump Stock Ban

Posted By James Brown

Exact quote:

“A bump stock does not convert a semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun any more than a shooter with a lightning-fast trigger finger does,”

F'ing wrong!!!

The truth:

"Sotomayor wrote in a scathing dissent joined by the court’s other two liberal justices that the majority’s ruling “will have deadly consequences.”

The decision, she wrote, “hamstrings the Government’s efforts to keep machineguns from gunmen like the Las Vegas shooter.”

“When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck,” Sotomayor wrote in her dissent. “A bump-stock-equipped semiautomatic rifle fires ‘automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.’ Because I, like Congress, call that a machinegun, I respectfully dissent.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/14/politics/supreme-court-bump-stocks/index.html

Notice in the above link that Thomas went to insane length to provide a bogus diagram of how the device supposedly doesn't turn a semi auto rifle into a rapid firing machine gun which it obviously does...
Sounds like Congress just needs to do its job and ban bump Stocks. Agency authority is not limitless.

June 17, 2024 10:19 PM Forum: Politics

And Joe Biden is once again gone upstairs in a complete state of confusion as he's wandering like a geriatric patient. Italian Prime Minister has to bring him back.

Posted By James Brown

You are a liar and, on top of that, doing an awful job of trying to nitpick your way out of your embarrassment.

First, the video you posted from X was doctored—end of story. No reasonable person can deny this and not look like a complete idiot.

Good job making yourself look even more ridiculous and pathetic.
James, I'm impressed.  It is easy to spin Rich up and get under his skin, but in this instance you played him like a master.  Leading him to the point where he just lies, lies, and lies again!   Wow.  Jim

June 20, 2024 04:24 PM Forum: Politics

Update On Our Light Pollution Efforts In LA County

Posted By James Brown

During a recent evening of viewing with the 100" Hooker telescope at Mt Wilson observatory, we honored fifth district Los Angeles county supervisor Kathryn Barger for her efforts in helping to reduce light pollution within the county of Los Angeles. See the news coverage for details:

https://signalscv.com/2024/06/barger-receives-award-for-efforts-to-reduce-light-pollution-in-scv/
Awesome work!  Congratulations to her and your organization.   Jim

June 20, 2024 04:25 PM Forum: Politics

Update On Our Light Pollution Efforts In LA County

Posted By James Brown

Not bad for a communist! Am I right? smile
Funny!  cool

June 20, 2024 04:37 PM Forum: Politics

The Clarence Thomas Rationale For Overturning The Bump Stock Ban

Posted By James Brown

"Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked an attempt by Democrats to pass a bill to ban bump stocks in the wake of a recent Supreme Court ruling."

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/18/politics/senate-bump-stock-ban-bill/index.html
This inaction by Senate Republicans is pathetic.   I hate slippery slope arguments as the refuge of intellectually lazy legislators.   "We can't ban bump stock because next they will come for my hunting rifle..."   What BS.   Similarly, "We can't ban third trimester abortions because then they will come for my birth control pills..."   Also BS.   

Slippery slopes are the bane of rational legislation.