My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Darian Rachal

November 3, 2002 09:11 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Dilated pupils?

Posted By Darian Rachal

I've often wondered about if you were under a dark sky & had your pupil's dilated, like at an eye exam, would you be able to see fainter magnitude stars? Darian Rachal

November 4, 2002 06:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: off-axis parabolic reflectors

Posted By Darian Rachal

Rob, I own the little DGM 4" off-axis reflector. It's a very nice little telescope & gives "refractor-like" star images. I was just intrigued by the design. Someone on s.a.a., owning the DGM 9", posted some interesting comments about it recently. Mr. Darian Rachal

November 7, 2002 06:31 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Dall-Kirkham questions

Posted By Darian Rachal

A friend of mine is considering building a Dall-Kirkham system(12.5" F20). The primary is F3. It's my understanding that the spacing between the two elements is extremely critical. For those of you that might be familiar with this system, what kind of tolerences are necessary for optics of this variety to perform well? I know the Tak Mewlon is a DK. Is the primary mounted in a 9 or 18 point floation system? Thanks for any assistance. Mr. Darian Rachal

December 17, 2002 03:52 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Rocketry/ RC cars?

Posted By Darian Rachal

Just curious, anybody out there interested in rocketry or R/C cars? Mr. Darian Rachal

December 18, 2002 11:08 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Nice red star

Posted By Darian Rachal

A very nice red star is UU Auriga. It's about 6th magnitude & located near 3 Psi Auriga & 51 Auriga. Even through my 8X25 finder it had an interesting hue & was intensely red through my DGM OA-4 on 38X. I believe I may have stumbled across this star awhile back through a friend's 17.5", but didn't note the location. At the time it was the reddest star I'd seen in a telescope. Mr. Darian Rachal

January 13, 2003 05:26 PM Forum: Religion

Posted By Darian Rachal

When I just checked into this forum, I noticed there were 666 messages. Is there any significance to that? :-) DR PS Paul Titus obviously posted #666. Hmmmmm!

January 24, 2003 05:26 PM Forum: Religion

Philosophy & Religion to overtake Astrophotography

Posted By Darian Rachal

FWIW, it appears that the number of postings in P&R will soon over take the number in the Astrophotography forum & setting it's sights on overtaking the CCD imaging forum :-) DR

January 27, 2003 10:53 AM Forum: Religion

Pentecostal Church

Posted By Darian Rachal

FWIW, I went to a Sunday evening service at a small Pentecostal church in a rural part of Louisiana, as a guest of a friend who's working on my computer.
The one word I can use to describe the service is INTENSE. It is a unique aspect of rural Southern culture & really quite entertaining. I'd highly recommend it, if for nothing more than a totally unique experience. Mr. Darian Rachal

February 4, 2003 07:19 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Death & Space Exploration

Posted By Darian Rachal

I may be only stating the obvious in this post, but it seems to me that accepting death as a part of space exploration is sort of a maturation process. Once the problem with the shuttle is fixed and spaceflights resume, somewhere down the road, someone else is going to be killed in a mishap of some sort. It might be 5,10,or 20 years or more from now, but it is inevitable.

Just as we all know that eventually, there will be a plane crash in the US killing a number of people, space exploration & death go hand in hand.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

February 6, 2003 08:10 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

New Astronomy magazine

Posted By Darian Rachal

I'd be interested in any comments about the "new" Astronomy magazine, March 2003; the first one with David Eicher as editor.
It seems to have a Discovery magazine feel to it, in my opinion. DR