New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Darian Rachal

April 18, 2023 08:50 AM Forum: Politics

This Week's NRA Conference

Posted By Darian Rachal

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll

I'm guessing that we are not very homogeneous relatively speaking. Do you think racial tension/distrust is a major factor in the high US rate?

BTW, I think the UK has a pretty mixed populous, and they have one of the lowest homicide rates.
Russ, To be quite honest, I really don't think so. At least where I'm living, I don't see a great deal of racial tension. It may exist, but I rarely see any. I try to not let the media determine my view of the world or affect me too much.smile Shootings and murders have really escalated in this area over the last few years, however.sad

April 18, 2023 09:05 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Darian Rachal

Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Darian:

Interesting question, and the US is undoubtedly not very homogeneous.  I personally think that the US culture is and always has been aggressive, sometimes violent, ambitious, and defensive.  We have always attracted bold and ambitious immigrants.  

This is good and bad, but mostly good.  The USA has been the world's economic leader, science leader, industrial leader, and so on for a long time.  We win world wars, with our allies of course, but I think that neither WWI or WWII would have turned out well for the word without US involvement.  The attributes that have caused the US to carve a place in history are maybe the same attributes that cause our citizens to kill each other (and themselves) at a higher rate than the citizens of other nations.  Jim

(Edited to add Harvard comma, in case Rich is keeping track!)
James, that is an interesting idea and perhaps worth considering.  You mentioned(and themselves). Are you referring to suicides? I was under the impression( I haven't looked it up) that some countries in Europe had the highest suicide rate.

Sorry, the little emoji didn't come across correctly so I deleted it.  

April 18, 2023 09:09 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Darian Rachal

I'm guessing that we are not very homogeneous relatively speaking. Do you think racial tension/distrust is a major factor in the high US rate?

BTW, I think the UK has a pretty mixed populous, and they have one of the lowest homicide rates.
Russ, I'm speculating, but I suspect that for most of the 20th century, the UK was fairly homogenous. Perhaps in the 21st, it's become less so. Whereas, the US has always been a "melting pot" of sorts. Just a guess.smile

May 4, 2023 11:39 PM Forum: Politics

Budweiser Sales of their beer plummeting even further

Posted By Darian Rachal

Rich, I remember that quite a few years ago Bud Light had those hilarious "Real American Heroes" commercials. Those were quite clever.  I'd be wary about ordering a Bud Light now.😉

May 5, 2023 03:29 AM Forum: Politics

April 8, 2024

Posted By Darian Rachal

Jim, have you seen a total eclipse of the sun?

May 5, 2023 04:27 AM Forum: Politics

April 8, 2024

Posted By Darian Rachal

Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Darian:

Yes, the summer of 2017 event.  I was in SE Wyoming.   It was incredible.  Have you seen one (or more)?   Jim

p.s.   photo with a small refractor and Canon camera.
Nice photo, Jim. I was down in La Paz in '91 on a Sky & Telescope tour. I saw an annular out in West Texas a few years later that took place during TSP, but not on the Prude Ranch.

May 18, 2023 01:41 AM Forum: Politics

April 8, 2024

Posted By Darian Rachal

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark

Hi James and Jim,

Sorry to add a little astronomy to the discussion, but I arrived back in WA last week and then drove to my observing site where I have been staying since.

The first night I was using my 18" dob to observe many of the southern highlights... 30 doradus, eta Carina, ngc 2808, 3532, 4945, centaurus A, and many others. 

One thing I noticed, my eyes might not be as good as they used to be. Could not for certain see Centaurus A naked eye like I  used to. Old age I guess. 🙁

Was waiting for a local workshop to make me a pier for my C14. That was finished yesterday and the telescope is now mounted. So what do you think has happened? One guess... 

After 5 superbly clear and dark skies, the clouds have rolled in! 😫  B...y Murphy!
Maurice, have you had your eyes checked for cataracts? That could account for your inability to see faint objects like you once did.

June 3, 2023 09:47 AM Forum: Politics

Budweiser has worst week ever, while conversely Miller light and Coors Light rise in a huge way

Posted By Darian Rachal

It's pretty good actually!
👍

June 4, 2023 11:53 PM Forum: Politics

June 29, 2023 10:52 PM Forum: Politics

Excellent! Countering Reverse Racism of the Democrat party.

Posted By Darian Rachal

Originally Posted by Richard Davis
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2023/06/29/scotus-opinions-10am-n2624905

Good to see that no longer will Asians be discriminated against at Harvard University, and other Universities.  
smile I guess they're whining at CNN.