My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tim Hrutkay

May 17, 2005 03:38 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Plans for a siderostat

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I would really like to make a stationary eyepiece telescope and am wondering if anyone out there has either made or could tell me where I could obtain plans for a siderostat. Any info would be tremendously appreciated.

October 4, 2006 09:46 AM Forum: APM

Apo Color

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I am hoping someone can give me some feedback. I recently bought an APM 80/600 apo. When viewing the moon (10 day old)with the terminator in the middle of the field the lunar limb (about 2/3rd to the edge of the field)at 75x (8mm Radian) shows a yellow rim. The star test is excellent. I thought a triplet should give better color correction across the whole field. The color correction is on a par with a William optic ZS 80ED which I used to compare. Is this normal? Tim

February 18, 2007 06:10 PM Forum: Refractors

ED Lens

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I am a relative newbe to the ED and APO refractor game. My experience (30+ years)has been with traditional long focus acromats (f12-15) from 3 to 11 inches in aperature for double star micrometry. I recently purchased a small 66 mm ED F5.9 refractor as a spur of the moment grab and go scope. What I observed is a blue "haze" around brighter stars that is completely absent in my acromats. Is this an effect of the ED glass or is it something more related to the focal length or both? Thanks for any input. Tim

March 12, 2007 12:30 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Image brightness

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I recently recieved my BF10 back from Coronado (Meade) after repairs were made due to a coatings problem. I have been using a Maxscope 40 with CEMAX eps. for the past 2 years. With my returned BF10 I have noticed that the image is much brighter to the point of no longer being able to see much surface detail due to scattered light without using a polarizing filter. Also the backround sky is no longer black as it was. It is now flooded with reddish-brown light (not ghost images). The Maxscope has always delivered very dark backrounds with little scattered light and very comfortable images. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? It definitely is not performing the way it has in the past. I have tried other eps. and the results are more or less the same. Does anyone have any ideas???

April 22, 2007 10:54 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Maxscope / PST question

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

A question to all PST or Maxscope users about internal reflections. I recently returned a BF10 to Meade/Coronado due to a coatings discoloration. The BF10 was promptly replaced with a new one. I notice now that I am getting significant ghosting and the backround sky is reddish brown not the dark grey/black that it was before. The ghost moves as I adjust the front etalon. My question is to all is, how dark is the backround in your Maxscope/PST and do your scopes show any effects such as this. Thanks to all for replying in advance. Tim

August 8, 2010 09:48 PM Forum: Refractors

TMB 92 / Radian question

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

Using Radian eps (10,8, and 5mm) on my TMB 92 I notice an unusual abberation. Star images (especially in the 10 and 8mm)show a noticeable vertical elongation on inside focus during star testing. Outside focus does not really show a 90 degree rotation as in the classic astigmatic case. The 5mm shows just the opposite effect with the elongation occuring on outside focus. I'm really perplexed. Well corrected optics along with well corrected eps should not show oval (albeit slight)during star tests. Does anyone have any ideas???

October 6, 2010 08:58 AM Forum: Refractors

Star Testing:Green vs. Yellow filter

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I have an older FPL53 Triplet that when star testing shows almost two different test depending on which filter I use. With the yellow filter the star test is funtionally perfect. Nice symetry, equal intensity of rings on both sides of focus. With the green filter the rings are asymetrical and don't look good at all. I heard that achros shoud be tested with green filters and FPL53 should be tested with yellow filters. Is this accurate or is my lens flawed?? Thanks

October 6, 2010 08:58 AM Forum: Refractors

Star Testing:Green vs. Yellow filter

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I have an older FPL53 Triplet that when star testing shows almost two different test depending on which filter I use. With the yellow filter the star test is funtionally perfect. Nice symetry, equal intensity of rings on both sides of focus. With the green filter the rings are asymetrical and don't look good at all. I heard that achros shoud be tested with green filters and FPL53 should be tested with yellow filters. Is this accurate or is my lens flawed?? Thanks

August 8, 2011 08:21 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Binocular Chair

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I just recieved a 360 degree swiveling reclining deck chair (99.00) from whateverworks.com. Absolutely does for lounge chairs what image stabilization did for binoculars. Just lean back and give a little kick to traverse the entire sky. No more getting up to move the chair to see a different part of the sky. Check it out at whateverworks.com and type in suntracker chair. So far I love mine.

June 27, 2008 09:26 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

What can I do to see better surface detail on the

Posted By Tim Hrutkay

I have always found observing surface details at 0.7a to be very subtle. I feel that seeing (using a Maxscope 40 0.7a)is much more important using a smaller aperature in as much as you are working to see something at the very limit or the aperatures resolution. Any turbulence smears and blocks the fine surface granulation. My experience has been to do two thungs that really enhance the surface detail using 40mm at 0.7. First I try to observe as early in the morning or as late in the evening as possible when the seeing is much more settled (morning espescially). And second, I have been using a variable density polarizer to adjust the brightness of the image. While doing this is no substitute for a narrower bandpass, it does yeild significantly better details (in my opinion).Hope this helps.