My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ron Sowers

September 5, 2005 08:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cleaning of water deposits from mirrors

Posted By Ron Sowers

Wow CLR eh? I would have thought for sure it would have eaten the whole mirror, but that was a wild experiment trying that. Really cool it worked!

So far, I haven't had anything that distilled water with a touch of dish soap hasn't taken off, but I feel better knowing there are alternatives.

I always thought dew was made of pure h20, I didn't know it could have minerals in it?

Interesting post Floyd!
Ron

September 5, 2005 10:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Aperture and nebulae, OH, MY WORD! (LONG)

Posted By Ron Sowers

A happy aperture increase smile

I agree, I purchased a 10, and had been using a 6 inch, and especially the globs, really improved. smile My little 6 inch does show some nice wide views, but like you mentioned, the ring nebula really benefits from aperture.

Now, how long before you go from 12 to 16? wink

Ron

September 12, 2005 12:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

First light, finally!

Posted By Ron Sowers

Hey Floyd,

Nice look'en scope! Super nice the optics are good too, that is such a relief eh? And look at the observing site your at? All those nice rolling hills and clear sky, dang I'm jealous!

Really happy for ya!
Ron
(PS, I played with the band tension and got the vibration out of that rear fan, thanks for the idea)

May 27, 2006 05:10 PM Forum: Pet Pics

A couple of our dogs

Posted By Ron Sowers

Casey with our little Shi Tzu, Sam, when we first got him.

May 27, 2006 08:38 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Hummers

Posted By Ron Sowers

another

June 9, 2006 02:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Battery system for a scope, cheap!

Posted By Ron Sowers

Floyd Blue said:

Well, I needed a battery for a scope and went down to see about buying a 7amp sealed battery. The price seemed to run over $30 so I thought about an alternative.
I went down to Pep Boys and found a jumpstart unit for $19.95 complete with a wall type charger as well as a 12v chager for a cigarette lighter and it even had a charging system board with LED display for testing state of charge and two cigarette lighter plugs.
Well I disassembled it and took out the battery (8 amp hr) and all hardware and made a battery pack that would fit in the rocker box. I used all the LEDs, boards and power receptacles. Works great, looks great and has a nice charger that is plugged in right now! LED says charging and it all seems fine. All for $19.95 + tax. You can't beat that! 8)

Good job Floyd! Cool idea 8) 8)

July 10, 2006 12:44 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Spider

Posted By Ron Sowers

I know what it is... it's SCARY! 8O (nice pic!)

July 10, 2006 12:51 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

bug stuff (spider)

Posted By Ron Sowers

Yellow Jacket

July 12, 2006 02:52 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Butterflies

Posted By Ron Sowers

VERY nice! 8)

July 13, 2006 04:04 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Green Leaf With Green Spider

Posted By Ron Sowers

Nice pic!
Scarey spider!

Does he change colors? We get these little spiders on our flowers, they change their color to match it seems. I seen one on a yellow flower, he was mostly yellow, then later, he was on a red flower and had red on him. Ever heard of one like that?