Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5149 Cacoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ron Sowers

July 13, 2006 07:48 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

July 15, 2006 02:25 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Bee on Sunflower

Posted By Ron Sowers

Not a super macro, but still kinda neat looking

July 18, 2006 08:17 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

bug eggs naked eye view first

Posted By Ron Sowers

what they looked like to your eye

July 28, 2006 09:17 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

More spiders!

Posted By Ron Sowers

I guess it's spider season 8O

July 30, 2006 12:10 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Not super good but interesting

Posted By Ron Sowers

A jumping spider caught a fly and was realing him in. Really wild to see!

August 5, 2006 11:07 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Hopper dude

Posted By Ron Sowers

check out his toe nails!

August 5, 2006 11:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

6 inch CATs, satisfied?

Posted By Ron Sowers

For over a year now, I've been debating on selling my 10 inch dob. I know it's not HUGE, like a big 20 inch truss, but I'm finding that since I got it, I hardly ever observe. I also have a 6 inch richfield newt, but since the dob shows so much more, I kinda feel it's either that or nothing. So, I usually opt for nothing. At night I just never have the energy to drag the big scope out from the back bedroom. (It's a Discovery F5.6 10 inch so one of the bigger 10 inch dobs).

I mostly like the planets and moon + a few of the showy deep sky objects. Never find myself galaxy hunting in the back yard light pollution anyway. My only problem, is the 10 has good optics, I've seen incredible detail on Jupiter with it. I hate to lose that, but also hate not using it much.

So, to make a long story short (I know too late LOL), anyone have a 6 inch Celestron SCT or 6 inch Mak (Orion?) and are satisfied with the planetary and lunar views?

Thanks!
Ron

August 13, 2006 05:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

What you see in which scope (size type, etc)

Posted By Ron Sowers

I did this on here years ago, and last year on CN, also recently on an SCT list, but, just curious now since there are probably new members here and such, so thought I'd post it here too.

On good nights, viewing Jupiter, which number fits your view and what type of scope? (if you have multiple answers, all the better!)

Ron

August 20, 2006 12:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Aperture, power and 'image breakdown'

Posted By Ron Sowers

Here's a thought....

A statement we always see, "I was able to view at X power with no image breakdown"

Will using a shorter focal eyepiece actually damage the image formed by the main optics, that is floating at the focal plane? Naaaa!

All were doing is 'seeing' the raw image on a larger scale. The fixed optics of the scope are projecting the image at the focal plane. Changing eyepieces will not affect the raw image, it only let's us get closer to it. If you look at a picture in the newspaper with a magnifying glass, the picture doesn't 'break down', you just see the dots it's made from. It's less pleasing, but still the same image. If Saturn looks good at 150 but not at 300, all that means is you can now see the defects at the larger image scale.

So... why can we use higher power with larger scopes? I have never seen the 'dots' that make up the image no matter how high in power I went? Somehow, larger aperture must be (generally), putting up a cleaner raw image.
I can print off a picture at 50 DPI, and another at 600 DPI. If both are clean crisp images, I can blow up the final picture as large as I want. The 50 DPI will have less detail but will never 'mush out' or look 'out of focus'.....

August 21, 2006 01:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion/Skywatcher

Posted By Ron Sowers

I've heard you guys say this or that scope was Synta or other names like that. Are Orion and Skywatcher scopes made by the same company like Synta? I was looking at the Orion 6 inch Mak and the Skywatcher 6 inch Mak. Also, I only saw websites for like Canada and stuff for the skywatcher, are they only in places like that?
anyone know any differences between?

Thanks!
Ron