Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ron Sowers

July 27, 2003 10:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mars in Six Scopes

Posted By Ron Sowers

update, last night it was between 4 and 5 :-)

August 2, 2003 05:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Waxing and Waning

Posted By Ron Sowers

I'm pretty much the same way, after September, I'm only really interested in checking out the gas giants once in a while, and some of the favorites in the sky, then in April I get the fever again. :-)

Ron

August 4, 2003 09:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Transportability (durability) of DOBS

Posted By Ron Sowers

If you have a pickup, your in a good position. If I had a truck, I would make a wooden box and pad the inside, then you'd have almost zero wear and tear and minimal jostling. :-)

Ron

August 5, 2003 04:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade EXT 90 help!

Posted By Ron Sowers

Hi,

Try here for some good info. I have an ETX 90 but I don't use it very much, (bigger scopes LOL) But try this site.

www.weasner.com/etx/

Ron

August 13, 2003 04:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anyone else have a problem w/the pic in this add?

Posted By Ron Sowers

Ummm kinda LOL.
Amazing how a person could have a long enough exposure to see details on the moon but sill have the sun look right :-)

Kinda think maybe a little cut and paste went on here haha

Ron

August 17, 2003 06:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Meade New Meade LX200GPS-SMT scopes announced!

Posted By Ron Sowers

Hey Pretty cool!

Now if they can just make one that will carry it's big self out to the yard.... :-)

Ron

August 31, 2003 04:57 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Light Cup saw Martian Deer

Posted By Ron Sowers

HA, now your scaring me! The invasion is coming!

Great sketch, man, I can't beleive you see that much detail, be happy about your skies dude, they must be great!

My best veiws the other night were with a broadband nebula filter! Mars was a tad green LOL, but I saw some detail finally!

Ron

September 1, 2003 07:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Intes Micro Mak-Newts, any opinions on these?

Posted By Ron Sowers

Heres a couple reviews that might be of interest.

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1h.html#2

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1e.html#6

September 5, 2003 08:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Better optics for worse conditions?

Posted By Ron Sowers

I was looking through and old S&T mag and they have an article about adaptive optics. They show a picture of a large observatory scope with the laser next to the scope, the laser is of course used so the adaptive optics can read the atmosphere.
This got me thinking, if the turbulence is so SMALL that a 4 inch can see "through" a cell but a 10 inch is seeing 2 or more cells at a time, how can adaptive optics work when the laser that is reading the turbulence is a couple feet from the center of the mirror? It should be seeing different "cells" than the scope is! In fact, there should have to be a laser every few inches eminating FROM that exact spot on the primary!

Any ideas? Does this mean the "cells" are allot bigger and that smaller scopes are just not "seeing" or "resolving" the turbulence as opposed looking through it?

Ron

September 28, 2003 10:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Discovery DHQ 8"f7?

Posted By Ron Sowers

I almost got that scope but got the 10 inch F5.6 instead, it was a tough choice! But mine is also DHQ and the quality is great, really enjoying it. Best images I've seen so far in a scope smile

Ron