Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

NGC6946 Fireworks Galaxy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kevin Conville

August 1, 2004 03:30 PM Forum: Polls

This says quality to me

Posted By Kevin Conville

The U.S. certainly isn't making much in the way of consumer goods that's for sure.

I'm curious about Canada. What does Canada produce in the way of manufactured goods?

April 5, 2005 10:05 AM Forum: Polls

Manned Missions to Space

Posted By Kevin Conville

I agree w/ you Jef. I don't care much about the "risks" as all who get strapped in know those like all explorers throughout time. I feel manned exploration yields way too little for the buck spent though. We're spread pretty thin these days and maybe, just maybe we might want to look at what we can do on Earth first to protect this miracle. Continue with unmanned missions for the pure science of it but leave the people on Earth.

April 8, 2005 11:33 PM Forum: Polls

Manned Missions to Space

Posted By Kevin Conville

Well Paul,
It's always sounded weird to me why people would rather fly the coop rather than clean up the coop.

BTW, asteroids strike other planets Paul. Other planets have volcanos also. Other suns go supernova.
Your time scale is weird too, seeing as our sun has a couple of BILLION years left in it.

Our planet culturally and socially is in a F$#@*& mess and you want to start the process of colonizing other worlds? What makes you think we'll handle those issues better than the issues of the here and now? How will we fund this pipe dream and what gets foresaken in the process?

Maybe, with all that science garnered from unmanned exploration, we'll find another suitable planet (that we might actually be able to get to) that may be another home for us one day. In the meantime keep the school teachers grounded.

Oh, and Star Trek is a TV show.

September 29, 2008 02:54 PM Forum: Polls

Bail out fails

Posted By Kevin Conville

Yeah, I kinda think good, and voted that way but..

It's STILL oh crap!

Time to lose some serious money. If only I were God... the wrath!

October 30, 2008 04:52 PM Forum: Polls

One week to go ...

Posted By Kevin Conville

At the time of this post it's running 45 to 41 in favor of McCain.
If the question is "Who are you voting for?", then that makes sense considering these forums.
If the question is "Who's going to win?", then there are clearly some delusional folks around here.

October 31, 2008 12:01 AM Forum: Polls

One week to go ...

Posted By Kevin Conville

francois regembal said:

What do you mean by "makes sense considering these forums"?

You have to ask? There is a very strong contingent of right wing party liners here. Past polls reveal what I'm saying.

July 4, 2009 12:56 AM Forum: Polls

In my adult life I have never been .....

Posted By Kevin Conville

Being proud and being afraid aren't opposites therefore making an odd set of choices. I for one am relatively proud as we are addressing some VERY long ignored problems and are being more adult-like.
Having said that I worry about not only our country but the not-too-distant future of the world and am pretty well convinced the heyday has passed.

July 5, 2009 01:02 PM Forum: Polls

Posted By Kevin Conville

Luca Grella said:

Don Barar said:

The quote of Michelle Obama that I was referring to was "for the first time in my adult life I am proud to be an American". Her statement was made at a February 2008 campaign rally.
Don

That is not what she said , she said something really different:
"for the first time I am proud of my country"

many people in the last years were proud americans without been proud of their own country's policies.
That is a very legitimate thing to say. Dissent is noy anti patriotic.

On a side note is this how you republicans do politics today?, by pointing the finger and trying
to divide people on emotional issues?

Yeah, OK.... I see. This poll's question is charged and loaded, intended to be provocative and polarizing. In other words, the same old same old. Nuance has never been the right's forte.

As I recall Rovian politics 101 says: "Misrepresent or misquote your opponent, then rail against and feign outrage."
Let's not go back there, OK? I think the word's out on this stuff.

July 6, 2009 10:40 AM Forum: Polls

Posted By Kevin Conville

Hello Don,

Normally I no longer get into these pissing contests here on Amart but your answers raise questions.

You read history, so does Barack Obama. George Bush was ignorant of history.

You said: "I felt much better with W at the helm"
This is the guy who looked into Putin's eyes and saw his soul mate. Some of your comments sound simply unfounded.

You said: "BTW. I am not a Republican. I am a very proud Conservative in the vain of William F, Buckley Jr."
OK, I can appreciate that. So who represents you? Who is carrying that water? I can see why you reject the republicans, as they stand today.
You must be a VERY lonely guy, politically.

Cheers,
Kevin

July 6, 2009 03:24 PM Forum: Polls

Posted By Kevin Conville

I dunno Don,
I think some very good things came out of the New Deal.
WPA, Social Security, Fair Labor Standards, FDIC, FHA, TVA, SEC. To name a few.
Don't blame FDR if some of them have run amuck, he's been dead a long time.

You neatly dodged my questions though.
Why was W better? Here's a little history he ignored...
Evoking the word "crusade" when speaking of our intents in the Mid East.
Not knowing that Iraq is a man-made political expedience and not really a country occupied by essentially three different regions and tribes that hate each other held together by a dictator that when deposed would allow chaos to reign.
That Putin came out of the KGB, with all it's implications.
That Saudi Arabia is one of the most oppressive regimes in the Mid East and a factory for the terrorists who hate us, all the while playing kissy face (literally) and holding hands with Faud.

I'll stop here as this will get to be a very long list.

The other question you ignored is who is representing Buckleyesque politics for you? I get that Barack Obama's not your guy. Who IS your guy(s).

FWIW I'm not in lock step with Obama either and have been disturbed by the continuance of some of the economic decisions initiated by Paulson (Bush) and now Geithner. These guys were a big part of the problem. Your assertions about W however are insanely off base though, IMO.