My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rusty Keeney

November 2, 2003 07:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To buy or not to buy binoculars?

Posted By Rusty Keeney

I say, buy 'em, try 'em. If you don't like, they can be sold. I have Oberwerk 8x56s and 22x100s, and while they may be inexpensive, they have decent optics, and they're high on the price-performance curve. They're both excellent for fun viewing.

A good mount is a must.

November 4, 2003 07:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dust Covers

Posted By Rusty Keeney

They're not vinyl - more like mylar, but take a look at:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=3606&m=82

November 8, 2003 10:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Historical ads

Posted By Rusty Keeney

I'm not at all pleased with telescopebluebook - the image of the orange C5 is of mine, I took the photo, and it was used without permission or credit.

One wonders what other info might have been pilfered.

November 10, 2003 06:23 PM Forum: Home Observatories

want to build observatory

Posted By Rusty Keeney

Also check out http://www.seds.org/billa/obs/obslist.html for a LOT of home (and other) observatories.

November 11, 2003 06:53 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Re: Opinions on these 3?

Posted By Rusty Keeney

I have the Ober 8x56s - they're a lot of binoc for the money, and they make a great all-around pair - light, unusually good images for the price, and rubber-coated. I have other, larger binocs, but my sister glommed onto them for the lunar eclipse and wouldn't share....

November 14, 2003 07:07 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Denk 2X worth the expense?

Posted By Rusty Keeney

It all depends on what kind of observing you prefer. With the 2X and the StarSweeper, you have 9.5, 19, and 38 mm EPs. Maybe something about 24 (12/24/48)?

A lot depends on the FL of your scope as well.

November 16, 2003 08:16 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

T3

Posted By Rusty Keeney

Is this, like, "The Three Tenors"?

November 21, 2003 08:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

First Scope

Posted By Rusty Keeney

There are a variety of upscale starter scopes. GOTO means the scope has an internal computer that, once aligned, will point at whatever object you select. The GPS scopes offer GPS positioning automatically, meaning the scope will figure out where it's located, otherwise, you would have to tell it; while it's not actually a gimmick, it's not a necessity to have GPS. CCDs are used for digital photography. There are CCD cameras designed for astrophotography; few are cheap.

A "starter scope" with astrophotography capabilities is almost an oxymoron, as few of them have tracking ability accurate enough for primo images. Nevertheless, many folks use modified webcams or digital cameras with reasonably-priced equipment and get fine photos. Film is far less sensitive, so the exposures must be longer, and the inexpensive rigs rarely can cope with the requirements. In any event, a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov-Cassegrain, are likely your best choice for starters.

Much depends on your budget. In the 4-5" range are the Celestron NexStar 5i and the Meade you mentioned. At $1,200+ is the Celestron C8 S-GT, which has an equatorial GOTO mount, which would be better for getting started in photography.

November 25, 2003 08:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fraud

Posted By Rusty Keeney

I suggest using an International Letter of Credit - it's much like a sight draft, in that it's not payable until the merchandise is received as stated.

November 27, 2003 07:42 PM Forum: Binoviewers

28mm Pentax XLs or 30mm Ultimas?

Posted By Rusty Keeney

Perhaps the Pan 27s or the BW UWs?

Then you could sell me the Pentax 28 XL....;-)