My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Love

May 13, 2008 03:15 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M51 Again

Posted By John Love

I did a little reprocessing to reduce the saturation a bit to make things look a little more natural. How does this one compare to the last? I still need to run the gradient removal routine to remove the effects of imaging with light pollution.

John
CCD-Freak

June 2, 2008 07:56 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

6" f/15 D&G refractor w/observatory

Posted By John Love

Great looking scope! I just love long white tube refractors. Did you get the Parsec/12 mount from Astro-Mart? I tried to buy one a year or so ago but someone (maybe you) beat me to it. I bet it is a treat to look through.

I am currently using a BO1278 on a CI-700.

John
CCD-Freak

June 27, 2008 06:42 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

orion autoguider and CI700 mount

Posted By John Love

All you should have to do is plug a modular cable from the autoguider output to the guider input on the CI-700 hand box. Make sure the cable is wired the same on both ends since some phone cords "flip" from end to end.
Set the CI-700 to the .3x guide rate and find a guide star, focus, set up the software and start the autoguider.

I autoguide my CI-700 with a HX516 camera and SX interface and it works great. Hope this helps a little.

John
CCD-Freak

July 16, 2008 10:43 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Another 8in Refractor

Posted By John Love

I tried to get one of the 6" Russian objectives but Surplus Shed was sold out.
I didn't know they ever had an 8"! It looks pretty sweet.

John
CCD-Freak

July 28, 2008 05:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 10x70 finder crosshair dilemma

Posted By John Love

I have replaced crosshairs with very small wire and a spring loaded stretcher to keep the wires tight while the glue dries. Works well. The wires are a little bigger than some of the origional, but that makes them easier to see against the sky at dark sky locations. I could replace them for you or tell you more about how I do it.

John
CCD-Freak

August 3, 2008 01:57 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Crosshair wire

Posted By John Love

I just posted this on a different forum, but it seemed to apply here as well......

I take individual strands of wire from small multi stranded wire. By sampling many pieces of wire I have found some strands that are extremely fine. I solder a small loop on each end of a piece of wire and hook those to the "stretcher" then I lay that in the grooves of the eyepiece ring and lay a weight on it to pull the wire tight. Then I put a dab of super glue on each side and wait for it to cure. When it is done I trim the excess with a razor knife and it is ready to do the second wire. When the second wire is done you have nice straight crosshairs.

John
CCD-Freak

August 20, 2008 12:47 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Bigfoot found?

Posted By John Love

Bigfoot has been spotted on Mars!!! 8v)

September 24, 2008 04:07 PM Forum: Star Parties

Okie-Tex!

Posted By John Love

I am loading the truck and reving the motor. I can't get there soon enough because I am in need of some serious DARK. Our group, the North Texas Star-Gazers, will be arriving on Satuday and the last weather forcast I saw looks hopeful.

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

October 21, 2008 03:50 PM Forum: Star Parties

Eldorado Star Party

Posted By John Love

Here is an inside view of my end of the enclosure.

December 2, 2008 04:22 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Dying thunderstorm

Posted By John Love

I love to photograph thunderstorms, and right at sunset makes for fantastic colors and contrast. We get some "big-uns" down here.

John
CCD-Freak