My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Love

December 21, 2010 08:06 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Eclipse

Posted By John Love

We had high "come and go" clouds in North Texas but it was a fine show.

This shot was made near mid eclipse. 6 seconds with an Olympus E-500 DSLR through an Orion 110ED with a ATFF on a CI-700 mount.

John
CCD-Freak

January 11, 2011 07:15 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Anyone help ID an object?

Posted By John Love

That is most likely a geosynchronus satellite drifting through the field. They are quite common in that part of the sky. Here is another example of satellites in the Clarke Belt. Some are quite faint but there are around 20 trails in this image.

John

January 17, 2011 07:11 AM Forum: Landscape Photography

Cascade Lake In Tallahassee

Posted By John Love

Wow...Has it been that dry?

Interesting pictures.

February 16, 2011 01:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC 2174 in RGB and Ha

Posted By John Love

Hi Jim

Just for grins here is a shot of the Monkey Head with my Atik 383L+OSC and an Orion 110ED with an ATFF and a Baader UV-IR filter.
This 14 x 15 minute exposure was made on a very clear night at Fort Griffin SHS in Texas back in Novemeber.
The seeing was about 3/5 so the stars were a little "fatter" than I would like. This was the first night I used this imaging setup.

Interesting to compare (o;

John
CCD-Freak

April 16, 2011 09:12 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Re: Coulter Dall-kirkham 6" specs question

Posted By John Love

I found this in an old ad here on AM...

"6" Classical Cassegrain set from Coulter. Purchased the set in 1980 and never opened the box. Checked the optics out (still wrapped in original paper towels from Coulter) and both appear to be in perfect condition. I can supply pics if you want..I have not completely unwrapped either mirror.

The primay secondary seperation is shown at 16.9" and the optic set I believe is f15.

Update...Some of the responders have mentioned this may be a Dall Kirkham..not sure but either way the optical quality should be first rate.

This would make a nice scope or just as a "keeper" for the collector.. "

I am still looking for the info on the 6" I found the Coulter flyer that has the 8" and up Dall Kirkham. I will keep looking.

John
CCD-Freak

May 2, 2011 02:21 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By John Love

I wonder if it really runs on all 48 or are most of them "for show"?

Check out this cool ride.

November 6, 2011 07:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade ETX-125 toy or real scope

Posted By John Love

The optics of the ETX-125 are typically quite good. I have a Wegat modified ETX-125 and the optics are great. The problem with the stock ETX-125 is the mostly plastic mounting and plastic gears. It works but it is not very robust. If you are only doing visual it may work OK for you but there is no path to photography or much else unless you remove the OTA and put it on a real mount.

My 2 cents worth (o;

John
CCD-Freak

November 12, 2011 09:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How It's Made...

Posted By John Love

Darn it!!!! I missed it. :C

John
CCD-Freak

January 13, 2012 06:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron C16

Posted By John Love

I would love to have it if I had 9K laying around.
I think I remember this scope offered here on "tha Mart" a while back.

John
CCD-Freak

January 25, 2012 05:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nightscape CCD camera

Posted By John Love

I am curious about this camera. It will be interesting to see some images made with longer subs. I have an Atik 383L+OSC with the KAF-8300 color CCD and I find it really does much better when you take subs longer than 10 minutes.

Please post any other images you get. Thanks for posting this.

John
CCD-Freak