My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Love

March 16, 2013 09:01 PM Forum: Camping and Outdoors

Moonlight Manor

Posted By John Love

I finally had weather for a 5 night outing to dark skies at Ft Griffin SHS, Texas. The "Moonlight Manor" was very comfortable and made "all-nighters" survivable. Looking forward to TSP, RMSS, Okie-Tex and ESP.

John
CCD-Freak

A very happy camper. (o:

May 21, 2013 08:20 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

replacing cross hairs

Posted By John Love

I made a V shaped spring loaded stretcher for the fine wire which I get from pulling single strands from a multi strand wire. The stretcher allows me to lay the strand across the ring and I apply a small amount of weight to get the crosshair strand tight then I apply the glue. When the first one is dry repeat for the other crosshair. The crosshairs may be a little wider than the origional but that makes them easier to see at night.

CCD-Freak

June 11, 2013 07:12 PM Forum: Camping and Outdoors

Moonlight Manor

Posted By John Love

I just got back from the Rocky Mountain Star Stare (RMSS) and the Moonlight Manor was very comfortable. I think this has been the best piece of "astro-gear" I have bought in a long time.

August 12, 2013 05:56 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: How many is too many!

Posted By John Love

Yes that can be a problem. As of late I have mostly been using my AT8RC for imaging and for visual I use either my C9.25 SCT or my Explore Scientific 127EDT. The ES127EDT is also a great imaging scope too.

November 26, 2013 02:26 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Found Pic of First Scope. GREAT Memories!

Posted By John Love

I recently found a picture of me and my first scope from about 45 years (and pounds) ago. It was a Sears 60mm EQ refractor that had fairly good optics and a stable mount. I saved up for weeks to get the electric drive motor. Sadly I no longer have this scope. I observed comet Bennett in 1970 with this one.

I will try to find a picture of my first home made scope...my trusty 8" f7 Newtonian.

John
CCD-Freak

December 1, 2013 06:25 PM Forum: Refractors

Criterion 6" f/15 refractor????

Posted By John Love

I have never seen a Criterion refractor but maybe they used a Criterion mount like this one. Does this look like the mount? It has a big sign like you described.

January 10, 2014 07:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC 2174 Monkeys Head Nebula

Posted By John Love

I really like the HST palette version.

Here is my humble attempt made with an Atik-383L+OSC and a 110ED.
I was surprised that I was able to capture the faint blue /white reflection nebula in NGC2175 to the right side of the nebula.

15 x 10m
Fort Griffin SHS, Texas

January 15, 2014 06:51 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

battery packs

Posted By John Love

When I go out to a remote dark site I tend to stay for several nights so I use 100A AGM batteries designed for commercial UPS applications. I charge during the day with a 150 watt solar panel. The batteries power the scope, CCDs, computers and all the other stuff we use while imaging. The charge regulator has a handy display which shows voltage and amperage while charging or discharging. I have a second panel for the "Moonlight Manor". I have spent as long as 10 nights "boondocking" at TSP, RMSS, ESP and trips to the middle of nowhere. The large AGM batteries are not cheap and heavy but it sure beats a dead battery when you are 50 miles from a power plug and they are cheaper and quieter and less hassel than a generator.

John
CCD-Freak

February 6, 2014 05:30 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Subaru 2014 Forester Vs Competition

Posted By John Love

That is why Subarus are so popular up in Alaska.

August 16, 2014 06:35 PM Forum: Mounts

Help wanted with identification

Posted By John Love

Looks like a Vixen Super Polaris to me.