My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Love

January 20, 2006 10:54 AM Forum: Mounts

EQ-6 Drive

Posted By John Love

Does anyone know how many teeth are on the drives of the EQ-6 mount? Are they 180 or 144 tooth or some other count. I have looked at serveral of the web sites, but can't find any specs.

John

April 5, 2006 11:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Encoders

Posted By John Love

I have a set of encoders offered to me but I have not been able to find much info on them so I can decide if they will work with my DSC interface. Does anyone have data on HP QEDS-5902 8842A encoders? I have been searching the web with no luck.

Thanks

John

April 5, 2006 11:11 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Encoders

Posted By John Love

I have a set of encoders offered to me but I have not been able to find much info on them so I can decide if they will work with my DSC interface. Does anyone have data on HP QEDS-5902 8842A encoders? I have been searching the web with no luck.

Thanks

John

April 24, 2006 02:17 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

73p

Posted By John Love

I got this image of 73p-C Friday night through haze and light pollution. I used my 200mm f4 newt and SXL8p CCD camera for 10x2m. This comet should put on a good show in the next few weeks. 73p-B has split in two recently as well and is my next target.

John

June 14, 2006 09:13 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Fresh Lunar Impact

Posted By John Love

This might be a good target for some of the Hi Res lunar imagers out there.
It would be interesting to see if a fresh crater was visible.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/13jun_lunarsporadic.htm

July 5, 2006 12:34 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

5" at LDRS

Posted By John Love

I took my 5" refractor to the LDRS-25 rocket launch 45 miles south of Amarillo, TX over the weekend. I got 2 great nights under dark skies and a little solar viewing while watching some "seriously BIG" rockets go up.

October 2, 2006 11:17 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

My 3rd LRGB image

Posted By John Love

This is my third attempt at LRGB imaging. M20 the Trifid Nebula taken with a 200mm f4 Schmidt Newt on a CI-700 at the Okie-Tex Starparty. This was taken with an older Starlight Express SXL8p CCD. I used Astro-Art 2 to aquire and process the image.

L=30m R=10m G=10m B=10m (5m subs) Seeing was about a 7.

It is a humble beginning and my whole system cost less than a ST10XME camera. grin

December 13, 2006 02:40 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Re: Questions from a beginner

Posted By John Love

I used a plastic shed made by "Thinking Outside" and it works quite well. These buildings are sold buy Sam's Club for about $800 floor and all. Half of the roof can be unbolted with 6 large plastic screws and you just slide it over on the the other half. I mounted the building on a frame of treated 4x4s to level and anchor the building for high winds. This building cost less than the materials to build a standard building and it went together in about 2 hours. As for security I, installed good locks, but the best security is that it looks like hundreds of other lawn building that only house "shovels, rakes and implements of destruction" grin It just doesn't draw attention.

John aka CCD-Freak

March 19, 2007 11:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M66 LRGB

Posted By John Love

I got this image of M66 during the last quarter moon. It shows an amazing amount of detail in the arms. I took the Luminanace images on a very fine Friday night, imaging until the moon came up. (I wanted to get more Lum) I took the RGB images then following night through high clouds. I was not sure if I would be able to get a good LRGB out of it but I was pleasantly surprised. I consider myself to still be a novice with LRGB imaging, but I think I am "getting the hang of it". Advice or comments welcome.

L=10 x 4m
RGB=4 x 4m ea

HX-916 CCD
Meade 8" SN astrograph
CI-700 Mount with HX-516 for autoguider
Processed in Astro-Art v4

October 22, 2007 02:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M78 at Okie-Tex

Posted By John Love

I shot this image at the Okie-Tex starparty a couple of weeks ago. M78 is an amazing object, but I have not seen many people imaging it. I would liked to have collected longer subs on this, but there just was not enough time. I am starting to get the hang of LRGB imaging and this image is still a work in progress as I try different processing techniques.

Comments are welcome.

L=60m
R=28m
G=28m
B=28m
4m Subs

HX-916 CCD
8" f4 Schmidt Newt
CI-700 mount
HX-516 CCD for Autoguiding
Astro-Art v4 capture and processing

John