Posts Made By: David Tarshis

June 1, 2004 01:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

10x30 IS binoculars?

Posted By David Tarshis

I have Celestron 10x50. That's about as big as you can go with hand held. I beleive I only paid 250.00 for them brand new, very nice optics. They do very nicely for night observing as well as sports events. Very clear, crisp images. I always get comments when they are loaned out at games, "wow nice view from these binoc's!". Good luck

June 2, 2004 05:35 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Changing mirrors.....need help

Posted By David Tarshis

Send him the mirror you plan to replace and just let him refigure it to his spec's keeping the exact f ratio. It'll save you money in the long run. If he doesnt refigure, you can't go wrong with a Swayze mirror. Here are his prices. http://www.europa.com/~swayze/refigure/refigure.html
Although there is no price for a 8", give him a call. See what he can do for you. Good luck

June 5, 2004 06:01 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Grinding the seam!

Posted By David Tarshis

And fyi, never put anything made of alum to a grinding wheel, it will load it up and may explode on you. I know this is not the case here, but I thought it deserved a mention.

June 6, 2004 03:15 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Alum vs Stainless mirror cell triangles

Posted By David Tarshis

The next cell will have alum smile

June 8, 2004 03:13 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Planetary images using a Swayze mirror ?

Posted By David Tarshis

I would venture to say that most 12.5" Swayze mirrors are in dobs. I would go to the dob forum and see if anyone has a tracking dob with a 12.5" mirror. I would also venture to say that most 12" mirror, picture taking telescopes, would be in SCT's on a gem mount. Good luck

August 23, 2004 06:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

StellarVision

Posted By David Tarshis

I was also considering doing this in my daughters room (6 years old) but decided against it. Money was an issue, and for 400.00, I think I can get a quart of paint for 40-50 dollars of glow in the dark paint and spend a day painting dots on the ceiling. I went so far as to put a down payment to StellarVision, I saw the same display at a home show, and thought it was really neat. My 6 year old would not know the difference if it was astronomically correct for a long time. Nothing against the company, but I couldn't justify 300-400 dollars. They were kind enough to refund the deposit. They are very good to work with. Good luck

February 4, 2008 06:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starry Night Pro 5.0 problems

Posted By David Tarshis

It's an install problem. I tried it on another drive on that same computer and it installed fine. I did a complete unistall and reinstalled on the problem drive and same thing, it seems corrupted some how. Not sure how to fix that problem.

March 22, 2008 05:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Starry Night Pro 5.0 problems

Posted By David Tarshis

Quicktime 7.4.1 was the culprit. Removed 7.4.1 and installed 7.3.1 and all is good!!! Whew....

September 11, 2008 05:10 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M-31

Posted By David Tarshis

Joe, can you pm me with the detail of how you did this? I'm in the beginning stages of astro imaging. I took some images the other night as well of M31, here's a sample
I have about 10 30sec exposures at 800 iso, Canon 20D, 70-200L with a 1.4TC on a GPDX. I have PS CS3 and have them stacked, now what? I'm searching the net for tutorials and astro imaging. Thanks
BTW, great photo!! This is what I aspire to.
edit: this is one of the photo's I shot

June 7, 2009 11:36 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Upper truss clamps

Posted By David Tarshis

If any one has an astrosystems system, can you measure how wide and tall they are? Thanks

(I'll try to call Randy on Monday in the meantime)