My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Tarshis

October 16, 2003 01:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best mount for my 9.25?

Posted By David Tarshis

At the moment i have the Vixen GP (Celestron black model). I would like your comments on the next best mount. Considerations: GP-DX with skysensor, CGE, G-11 with skysensor or Gemini. Astrophotography in the future. Would like your opinions, Thanks

October 18, 2003 07:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Double cluster

Posted By David Tarshis

I found the double cluster with my 10 x 50 binoculars with ease, but yet to find it with my c9.25 in my light polluted back yard. My scope has a telrad and a 6x30 finder (junk). After being able to find it with the binoc's, I was able to view the telrad through the binoc's and adjust the scope as required. It was tricky holding the binoc's in one hand keeping the bull's eye in view and reaching over and turning the slow mo knob's with the other. But I did it! It was a proud moment for me. Moral of the story, time for a new finder!

November 1, 2003 02:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Home made finder?

Posted By David Tarshis

Where can I get a catalog? And has anyone made a correct image finder? I can get my hands on an Amici Prism, but would like to know about any dealers for said parts. Thanks

November 3, 2003 11:35 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Home made correct image finder?

Posted By David Tarshis

Has anyone done this? I have been to the surplus web site and can get an amici 90 prism from there. Just wondering if anyone has attempted this? Thanks

November 23, 2003 10:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

ED 80 Orion not on Orion's web site...

Posted By David Tarshis

I called and they said it was back ordered. Anyone have any idea why it's not availabel on the web site? The person I talked to had no idea. Thanks

November 23, 2003 12:32 PM Forum: Refractors

First refractor recomendations...

Posted By David Tarshis

I currently own a 9.25 for several years now. I have recently moved to the Northwest where conditions aren't the greatest. I’m looking for something in the 80-100mm range, 400-500 dollar range. Cool down and quick go to are the reasons for this choice. Scopes I have considered are Orion ed 80, Stellervue at1010, Sky 90 (when I can afford it!). It doesn’t have to be apo, being my first refractor (you don’t miss what you never had). Open to any and all suggestions. I planned on viewing these scopes at star parties, but the weather what it is, I'll take your opions till the next one. Thanks

November 23, 2003 12:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Choosing my first refractor

Posted By David Tarshis

I currently own a 9.25 for several years now. I have recently moved to the Northwest where conditions aren't the greatest. I’m looking for something in the 80-90mm range, 400-500 dollar range. Cool down and quick go to are the reasons for this choice. Scopes I have considered are Orion ed 80, Stellervue at1010, Sky 90 (when I can afford it!). It doesn’t have to be apo, being my first refractor (you don’t miss what you never had). Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

November 27, 2003 09:26 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

From a 9.25 to 80mm?

Posted By David Tarshis

I currently have a 9.25 on a Vixen GP (new mount when $$$ allows). I am considering the Orion ed80. I have not had the chance to view one of these yet. But I sure would like to check one out. Am I going to have aperture shock? I figure the resale of the 80 would make it worth the try. I would like to here from people that have both kinds of scopes. The 80 will be my quick goto scope. I plan on keeping the 9.25. Thanks

December 10, 2003 12:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Why so many AT1010's for sale?

Posted By David Tarshis

What is replacing them? I thought this would be easier than asking each one. Thanks

December 15, 2003 12:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ED80 to GP mount

Posted By David Tarshis

I have just ordered my ed80, and now I need rings and dovetail. Orion is giving me the choice between the 8" and 13" dovetail. I'm thinking 8". I also have a 9.25. Would it be worth it to upgrade to GP/DX (cheap way for now), or go straight to a mount that will support 30+ lbs.. Any and all suggestions. Thanks.