Mark Killion

The Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Tarshis

December 17, 2003 12:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion ED80 collimation (my first refractor)

Posted By David Tarshis

I have one on order and have read several articles that talk about collimating this scope i.e. loosening the three screws on the focuser. How is collimation checked on a refractor? Thanks

December 22, 2003 02:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion ED80 max power?

Posted By David Tarshis

I would like to know some of the high powers that have been achived with this scope. Only reason I'm asking is because with what I have, I will only be able to get 160x max (klee 2.8 with pentax 10.5). I also have a 2x and 2.5x powermate. Thinking of down sizing to just one barlow, unless stacking them is an option. Has anyone done this? Something to try out when I get my ed80, back ordered right now. Thanks

December 28, 2003 09:03 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Upgrade from a GP to a GP/DX?

Posted By David Tarshis

I have a 9.25 on a Vixen GP, and a ed80 coming. Is it worth upgrading to the gp/dx? I would like to try some astrophotography with the ed80. The gp is "ok" for the 9.25, but sure would like some more mount. Thanks

January 3, 2004 11:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best tripod for GP/DX?

Posted By David Tarshis

Hal 110 or ash wood? I have the ash wood that came with my Vixen GP. Will that suffice for a 9.25 on a GP/DX? Or should I get the Hal 110? Thanks.

January 13, 2004 08:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ED80 first light

Posted By David Tarshis

Don't get exited, it was my neighbors door knob. But here goes: no false color, image was sharp, I did detect a foreign object on the lens, had to unscrew cell and blow off speck. I did detect finger prints also, turned out to be on the door knob. This was done about 8pm PST, lots of cloud cover, typical for Portland this time of year, should only last 4-5 more months. This was on a Vixen GP, mount was rock solid, no vibration pads needed. I had to pull out my cheap diagonal and 25mm plossl (the ones that came with my 9.25) so I wouldn't leave any marks on my AP maxbright. I would like to know what I should do as far as the focuser, nylon screws? or is there an adapter that will screw on to focuser with brass compression ring? Thanks for reading my review. Dave

January 14, 2004 11:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

what type of equipment is this?

Posted By David Tarshis

Anyone have a clue?

January 15, 2004 08:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

ED80 case?

Posted By David Tarshis

I'd like to know what people are using for a case? Soft? Hard? Best travel? And what they like best. Thanks

January 15, 2004 01:14 PM Forum: Refractors

ED80 case?

Posted By David Tarshis

I would like to know what people are using for a case? Soft, hard, easy airline travel? Thanks

January 20, 2004 09:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

January 23, 2004 10:20 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Seeing scale

Posted By David Tarshis

I am planning on documenting my observations. I have a 9.25 and an ed80. I don’t know how to judge seeing. I have read several articles and it seems that there are several ways to judge seeing. I would like to know what the most popular scale most people use. I'm in the midst of researching Dawe’s Limit. If there is something simple to start off with, so I can get an idea, that’s pretty much what I'm looking for right now. I'm planning on getting my Messier certificate. Thanks