Posts Made By: Angel Gomez

July 14, 2002 02:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: G-9.25 or C-11 ?

Posted By Angel Gomez

Mike,

Buy the CG11 and give both scopes a run with the G11. Nothing like seeing it with your own two eyes.

I have owned several C11s and just one C9.25 :-) For some folks the 1.75 extra makes a difference. That was not the case with me. I currently own a C14 I can see a worthwhile difference between the two scopes.

Regards,

Angel

November 24, 2002 11:57 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 11/23

Posted By Angel Gomez

Folks,

I CAN'T DRAW .... so I've decided to post my planetary images captured with a webcam. I love the planets like you all do, but can't capture them via drawings.

I'm not looking to discuss details or garnish complements about the images, nor discuss the the imaging processing, we can do that in another forum or via private e-mail.

What I'm looking for (eventually) is a sketch of the planet at around the same time a CCD image was taken.

Having said all of the above, if any of you find the posting of planetary images in this forum not appropriate, please let me know.

BTW - I received a pair of binos last week and can honestly say it was truly awesome looking at Saturn and Jupiter.

Regards,

Angel

December 15, 2002 06:42 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

December 15th, 2002

Posted By Angel Gomez

Let me try this again!!

For those of you who did not make it out last night to see the show Jupiter put for us. The seeing here in South Florida was not up to par, preventing me from taking any Hi-res images.

Please note, the UT times are approximate times and to be used for sequence reference only.

Best,

Angel

December 15, 2002 07:07 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Last night's show

Posted By Angel Gomez

For those of you who did not make it out.

Bad seeing (5/10) did not support hi-res imaging, barely able to find usable focus! Each image is an average of 100 - 150 frames from a ToUcam.

All UT times given are for sequencing reference only. Hard to keep track of time when you are cold and sleepy...

Angel

December 21, 2002 03:03 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn 12/15/02

Posted By Angel Gomez

Best seeing we've had in a while here in South Florida.

Best,

Angel

December 21, 2002 03:06 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn 12/19/02

Posted By Angel Gomez

Decent seeing for a change here in South Florida.

Regards,

Angel

January 13, 2003 06:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Public observing and expensive equipment

Posted By Angel Gomez

Would I take my expensive glass to a public session? ….no no no. I have a little 80mm f/11 Vixen mounted on a CG5 that is my (actually my daughter’s) star party scope. It serves two purposes. It is inexpensive, easily replaceable and it looks like the stuff kids are likely to get as a gift.

Case in point, last Friday the local astro-club had a public session. While I’m not a member due to lack of time, I decided to gather my two little ones, their scope and join them for the evening. What a great time we had. There were all kinds of EXPENSIVE scopes, and my little Vixen. Guess who had the longest line? Saturn at 125x was just perfect and the fact we had a “kid-friendly” set-up (including my 4 and 3 year old) drew more people than expected. Many parents thanked me over and over again for taking the time for accommodating their kids.

Guys relax, buy a cheapy 80mm short tube for the public session.

You can read a story the local paper ran on the outing here:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/4922187.htm

Best,

Angel

January 21, 2003 04:17 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Jupiter image TEC200

Posted By Angel Gomez

First time out with TEC200 working at f/31.

January 21, 2003 04:21 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 1/20/2003

Posted By Angel Gomez

Finally had a chance to take a peek and do a little imaging of Jupiter under decent seeing conditions.

January 22, 2003 04:18 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Saturn for TEC200

Posted By Angel Gomez

Can't say enough good things about the TEC scopes. Just an outstanding scope for imaging planets.

Regards,

Angel