The lure of pollen...

Posted By Angel Gomez

Just got to have it!

Shark Valley, Florida Everglades.

Angel

March 4, 2011 09:56 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Old Stiltsville - Biscayne Bay

Posted By Angel Gomez

Probably the most recognizable of all of the remaining Stiltsville homes, the A-frame house. Imagine waking up each day having beautiful Biscayne Bay as your backyard!

Stacks in the back belong to Turkey Point Nuclear.

Angel

August 30, 2002 01:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

8" Vs 10" SCT's

Posted By Angel Gomez

Peter,

Only you can make such decision.

As you have seen the answers are mixed. There is no way any of the folks here nor myself can tell you just how "significant" of a difference you will see. Will you see a gain in resolution and light gathering? Of course! However, to answer the how significant part you must consider your expectations and experience as well. The gain in apperture will only be significant if you use the 10" as much as the smaller scope.

One thing I've noticed with GPS and other GOTO scopes is how little time the users spend at the eyepiece. At times it appears they are on a Messier marathon and just check the EP to log the objects. I can honestly say experience AT the eyepiece savoring and studying objects IN DETAIL rather than a casual glimpse will more than make up for lack of apperture.

Personally the jump from my old C8 to a C9.25 as "significant" enough to eventually trade up.

Best,

Angel

November 4, 2002 04:41 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Colored Saturn Observation

Posted By Angel Gomez

Carlos,

Superb drawing! Your work might make CCD imaging of the planets obsolete:-)

Looking forward to meeting you one day.

Angel

November 9, 2002 12:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece advice

Posted By Angel Gomez

David,

FYI - The Meade 14mm UWA also works in 1.25" focusers. I own one and its the EP of choice for clusters when using my C14.

Regards,

Angel

November 9, 2002 12:52 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter and Saturn 10-22-02

Posted By Angel Gomez

Ken,

It is almost always the case if you are not ready to drop well over $1000 for one of the better made refractors, then you are better off with your reflector or even a SCT. Please note, in my book better made does not mean APO. I've owned several D&Gs and Jaegers achromats that proved to be superb. I've also owned two Synta scopes and while some folks claim to have excellent units, I have yet to see one that comes even close to the achromats I've owned (and I've seen plenty of Synta scopes).

With regards to your particular scope like Tony said we need to know more details before we can be of help. In more than a few cases collimation has been off with little you can do about it unless you have one of the newer lens cells with collimation screws.

Regards,

Angel

November 26, 2002 06:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCT or Refractor?

Posted By Angel Gomez

Michael,

If you ever find the right answer please let all of us know. As you can see we are a bunch of confused amateurs!

I still can't make up my mind ........

Regards,

Angel

March 1, 2003 07:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Waterfall Nebula and HH34

Posted By Angel Gomez

Ron,

Way too cool!! I need to leave the solar system once in a while :-)

Thanks for sharing this photo and tweaking my previous Jupiter image.

Best,

Angel

March 7, 2003 08:00 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars Observation (March 6, 2003)

Posted By Angel Gomez

Carlos,

Impressive sketch!

While I agree with Ron's comments on your fine 9" Mak, much needs to be said about your expertise, training and patience. I have seen your some of your drawings with a Konus reflector(? and they are also spectacular.

Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful and detailed work with us.

Best,

Angel

April 16, 2003 01:48 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M81 in color

Posted By Angel Gomez

Ron,

Great image.

Angel