New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Angel Gomez

May 11, 2003 06:19 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Mars this morning (may 10)

Posted By Angel Gomez

Hi Bruce,

Very nice image with excellent color fidelity (something I'm struggling with due to Mar's low altitude and severe blue fringing).

It’s a good idea to start imaging early as to gain experience. In my opinion everything that is said about the challenge Mars represents to visual observers can be applied to imaging it. First of all is not around every year to practice, second is relatively low in the sky, rather small size and my biggest challenge so far is the wide dynamic range of the various features.

Thanks for your image,

Angel

May 30, 2003 05:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars May 28 2003

Posted By Angel Gomez

Wes,

Mars is always a challenge, visually, CCD or film. Key is to start early and practice until you find some settings that produce decent results. Large scopes are nice, but with the little sucker so low in the sky I'm often limited to 8" apperture or less. Having said that, its great to have the big gun ready to go just in case conditions are right :-)

I have never used IR blocking filters so I can't provide any advice. It can't hurt. I have yet to manage capturing that gorgeous and delicate salmon color of the planet. Heck, some folks in the Solar system observing forum have sketches with better color rendition than most Mars images I've seen!! Talk about talent.

Keep up the good work!

Angel

July 8, 2003 02:09 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

And the Peak itself...

Posted By Angel Gomez

Jeff,

It seems you could not have picked a better day to go. I was there back in 1992 and enjoyed the trip very much. Heck, I still have my Kitt Peak T-shirt. I tell you the main road looked much better back then :-)

I would love to go back one day, only this time with two little ones in tow. Until then, glad you shared this photo with us.

Angel

July 23, 2003 08:53 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Another attempt drawing 7/23/03

Posted By Angel Gomez

Paul,

Attached is an image from a little later on this morning. In your drawing Solis Lacus is just "around the corner".

I use imaging to help me see more. Usually take a short avi file (200 frames or so), align, stack and have an image in less than 5 minutes. I then use this image and attempt to try to see all features. I'd imagine drawing will help to see more as well. Like you said, the longer you stare at it, the more you see. A prime example is Ron [B]ee with his "lightcup" and what he has been able to see and sketch.

Regards,

Angel

July 23, 2003 01:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ISS 07-22-03

Posted By Angel Gomez

Wes,

Make sure you give it a try next time there is a scheduled space walk.

Keep up the great work.

Angel

July 26, 2003 10:03 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars - 7/24/03

Posted By Angel Gomez

Hi Joe,

Excellent detail for prime focus. Be careful with your barlow selection and the C14. Powermate 2.5x appears to work better on my C14 than the Ultima 2x. Any way you cut it you are going to be imaging at a very long focal length and the seeing must support it. E-mail me privately if you want to discuss.

Glad to see Mars clears your tree tops :-)

Take care,

Angel

August 1, 2003 09:47 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars July 31 with dust storm

Posted By Angel Gomez

Wes,

Very nice color rendition. Are you using IR block filter?

Regards,

Angel

August 8, 2003 01:54 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Just another Mars image

Posted By Angel Gomez

Wes,

Great image, as usual. Any ideas as to the bright spot on the lower left of Syrtis Major? Wei's image of the region from mid-July does not show this bright spot. I will go ahead and post the same question to the planetary observer forum.

Keep up the good work.

Angel

March 23, 2005 03:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter last night

Posted By Angel Gomez

Ed,

I like it!

Excellent detail can be seen across the planet while maintaining while maintaining a very pleasant “thru the eyepiece” look. Way too many folks push processing with the hopes of getting more detail at the expense of grainy and artificial looking images. Personally, I've never been a big fan of over-processed images, especially from folks like us who image for pure aesthetics reasons.

Keep up the good work.

Angel

November 24, 2006 09:30 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Mach1 guide results with 10" Meade

Posted By Angel Gomez

Roland,

Impressive results for such a heavy combination of OTA and camera. Care to comment on suitability of Mach1 for a C14 (40lbs) for visual / planetary imaging? The combined weight of the Meade OTA and imaging train should be close to the Celestron OTA.

Regards,

Angel