New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Angel Gomez

March 4, 2007 06:49 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Users charging to use Paypal - Against ToS

Posted By Angel Gomez

Kurt,

I see Paypal is a convenience for the buyer. There are costs for the buyer by using other forms of payment such as MO. Not so much the cost of the financial instrument itself, but time and gas. If somebody wants to use Paypal; please add 3%. I'd gladly accept other forms of payment such as personal check and MO so its their choice, not mines.

By the way, as a buyer I much rather send Postal MO than paypal. Using a Postal MO gives you much more legal recourse than paying with Paypal. Postal fraud is a very serious offense.

Just my opinion I know others will see it differently.

Regards,

Angel

December 17, 2008 08:49 PM Forum: Refractors

A. Jaegers

Posted By Angel Gomez

Steve,

Would have never imagined Jaegers employed some Cubans back then. Glad to see my people made their contribution to the firm. Now hammer fights; need to know more as that sounds a little extreme, even for some crazy Cubans. Fidel Castro probably did not let the poor guys take their dominos game with them so they had to improvise. I'm sure they meant no harm (ha ha).

As for Roland's comment about the sweatshop, given they were probably recent arrivals from a tropical island they probably welcomed the warm working conditions. I know my Dad loved it when they moved him from the freezing warehouse to a nice and warm 90 degree + environment while working at a shoe plant outside of Chicago.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm looking forward to your article.

Regards,

Angel

May 17, 2009 06:14 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Classical vs XLT Coatings

Posted By Angel Gomez

Michael,

I had the same question a few years ago and received conflicting answers. The folks with Starbright coated scopes liked those better, those with XLT would not have it any other way. Others pointed me to comparisons done under lab conditions. Having no clear direction I set out to compare the coatings and formulate my own opinion. Over the past three or four years I have owned identical apperture SCTs with Sb and XLT optics. I did side by side tests from my backyard but was too lazy to drag two sets of mounts and scopes when I traveled to the Everglades for darker skies. What follows below are my own findings.

I can't see a difference in object brightness or see any deeper from my mag 3.5 location under casual observation. However, under semi-dark skies (mag 4.5 - 5) I was able to see fainter stars around the Ring nebula. Will not comment on the contrast and visibility of deep sky objects since I did not have the scopes side by side making my comments highly subjective.

One big plus of the XLT compared to the Starbright is color rendition. With XLT coatings Jupiter is pure white, just like in my AP140 refractor. With the Starbright coatings is has a yellowish tint.

I ended up with a C8 and C14. Both with XLT optics and both have superb optics. As most Celestrons I have owned, independent of coating type.

If I was in the market for a Celestron SCT and planetary observation was my primary target or had access to dark skies, XLT would be my ONLY choice.

Regards,

Angel

June 23, 2009 06:40 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

BIG CANYON, little telescope

Posted By Angel Gomez

Joe,

Were you set-up next to the C14?

I was there Monday and Tuesday night while visiting with the family from Florida. If you were the guy set-up next to the C14, then thank you as I got a few peeks of Saturn with your scope. Very very sharp and given how windy it was Monday night the steady image was much appreciated. Wish I would have known it was you so I could have introduced myself properly. What a great bunch of folks, felt like I was among long friends. Wednesday night we visited Lowell observatory and got to see Saturn with the 24" Clark refractor, what a rush!

Thanks for sharing the views,

Angel

June 26, 2009 10:53 AM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

August 22, 2009 08:03 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Coffee Mug

Posted By Angel Gomez

Well, I have been patiently waiting for over 6 months for mines, but I'm happy to report I'm finally the proud owner of a "Stainless Astromart coffee mug"!!!

No, it did come from AM but from my 8 year old daughter. She knew how much I was looking forward to it. So, after finding out the wait was not yet over she decided to take matter into her own little hands.

Angel

August 27, 2009 05:27 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

Car show at Astro-Physics

Posted By Angel Gomez

Always wanted one of those GN, but was afraid I would kill myself driving it. Don't see them around much anymore.

So, did Marge get to keep one? wink

Angel

August 29, 2009 05:21 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Advanced Search doesn't work

Posted By Angel Gomez

Dan,

That happened to me while I was a sponsor. It has worked perfectly after my sponsorship expired.

I would get a message saying the site was having problems to try again later. Had to log-off and run the search as a guest. If I needed seller detail, then I had to log-in and out a few times for it to work correctly.

Regards,

Angel

October 7, 2009 03:49 PM Forum: Refractors

New Apo's

Posted By Angel Gomez

Markus,

I applaud you for taking a step in the right direction with the ED doublet for the 6” achro. I also have no doubt the other two scopes are going to be world class astrographs, but I must ask why do manufacturers keep fighting for the same piece of the pie? The 140mm and smaller astrograph market is as crowed as a beach front during a hot summer day.

There are a great many of us who really don’t care about collecting photons with CMOS sensors, but with our eyes. Like imagers, we also want a nice piece of glass, just don’t need the 3rd or 4th element, a focuer than can move an elephant or a heavy tube. All I ask is for a well corrected ED doublet lens 180mm - 200mm in a light weight, well baffled tube and a decent 2 speed focuser at a reasonable price. Is this too much to ask?

I would love to hear comments and opinions from you and others on the technical and economic challenges of bringing this scope to market.

Regards,

Angel

January 25, 2010 06:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars f30 1/23/10, 4/5 Seeing

Posted By Angel Gomez

Hi Steve,

Nice image, excellent color rendition. I have never been able to get the color of Mars just right.

I was imaging Mars same night as you with a C11 and 3x TV barlow, but it certainly was not 13 degrees in Miami. Here is what I managed to capture. Dynamic range and noise on my cheap webcam is pretty poor, still waiting for it to fail so I can have a good excuse to buy a decent camera.

Keep up the good work.

Angel