New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Angel Gomez

March 9, 2010 03:40 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

What guns are essential?

Posted By Angel Gomez

How about a high power air gun?

I think there is quite a compelling case for adding one to your list of recomendations, specially if you are a city dweller like me.

1- Much cheaper to shoot than a 22.

2- Can be used in most urban backyards without alarming neighbors too much.

3- Great for teaching kids basics of fire arms safety and maintenance. Look and feel and in many cases the power of a "real" gun.

4- You'll be suprised at the stuff you can take down with a well placed shot. Like hunting for galaxies with a 80mm refractor!!

5- Easy to care for.

I have a few toys, but I've had more fun with my 25 caliber RWS than with anything that came before it. Guns are like telescopes, it is not the caliber but how often you use it. I shoot "things" just about every week with my RWS but only once or twice a year with my AR or 7mm Mag.

Now for home defense IMHO nothing beats a nice compact .38 revolver complemented by a short barrel shotgun with pistol grips and loaded with a secret Miami recipe of an alternate buck shot and bird shot.

Now, where did that darn squirrel go?????????????

Angel

April 7, 2010 05:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Question on telescope value

Posted By Angel Gomez

Cory,

There is no such thing as a 3" Model 155 Unitron. The Model 155 is a 4" Photo Equatorial. The Model 155C adds the electric RA motor, a much desired and hard to find accessory.

If you don't know the worth of your instrument, don't assumme other people don't. The ad you reference in your post is from a gentleman who has been restoring and collecting Unitrons for a long time. He knows the value of these telescopes better than most of us. Just to give you an idea, one similar to his sold for $5,700 late last year here on Astromart.

Like Roland said, post a photo of your instrument and we'll be happy to give you an estimated market value.

Here is a small 4" f/15 sorry achromat. Wanna guess who made it? wink

Regards,

Angel

April 7, 2010 05:47 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Humpback

Posted By Angel Gomez

Hi Scott,

Yes, it was awesome. Wife now regrets not going fishing. She's always wanted to see a whale up close, but luck has not been on her side the few times she's been brave and ventured out with me. Guess she'll have to keep watching Discovery HD!

Best,

Angel

April 7, 2010 06:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Question on telescope value

Posted By Angel Gomez

Hi Bill,

A 3" Unitron is not $4500. Perhaps on a good day a fully loaded-photo equatorial model in tip top shape with all accessories will fetch north of $3K. But you have to see one, better yet own one to understand the true "value" of these instruments or any other vintage or antique instrument. It is much more than just about aperture, wave front or color correction. There is pride of ownership, the time spent bringing some of these instruments back to life, joy to use and share with others, the unique history and stories of many of these units, and the fact Unitron telescopes if treated right will last many life times.

Pictured is my 1955 Model 152, old style mount with the painted setting circles in integral OTA cradle. You can probably tell by now that I really love my Unitrons. I feel enormous privilege and great sense of responsibility in knowing I'm a guardian of these old and vintage instruments for generations to come. Think of it, how many people in the world do you think own Unitron refractors. And De Beers wants you to think a 3 CT diamond is rare and highly valuable.

Regards,

Angel

March 4, 2011 09:33 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Nice gators

Posted By Angel Gomez

With the little one.

March 4, 2011 10:06 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Old Stiltsville - Biscayne Bay

Posted By Angel Gomez

Four of the remaining seven homes that stood up to Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It is only a matter of time before these seven are gone as well, ending a very colorful chapter of our South Florida history.

Angel