New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Harry Drutok

September 13, 2003 07:22 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Re: Denkmeier (Denk) Standard vs. Denk II

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hello Folks,
It has taken almost three weeks, but I finally looked through a pair of Denk IIs last night with my C-14. While I can tell that the quality of the unit was top-notch, I couldn't get the image to merge. The owner of the BV had no problem. I do wear glasses and have the same problem in binoculars.

I guess BVs aren't for me sad

Harry

May 22, 2004 01:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Moving a big dob/storing in garage

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
Can a big dob (16" F4.5 or so) be easily moved in one piece? I'm thinking about storing one in my garage and wheeling it out, in one piece, onto an asphalt driveway. Also, I'd get a scope with a detachable mirror cell so the mirror is not subject to car exhaust. Do any of you store your scope with mirror in the garage? If so, have you noticed any degradation due to the exhaust?

Thanks!
Harry

July 9, 2004 05:39 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Impact of New Production on Those Waiting

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hello,
I'm wondering if the recently announced new A-P products will adversely affect those of us on the waiting list. I've been waiting patiently for 3 years on a 155.

Thanks!
Harry

February 26, 2005 03:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Advice for Second Scope

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
I recently sold my back-up scope (Vixen FL 102) and am looking to buy something with a bit more aperture. I own a C-14/G-11 so deep space objects are covered. I would like a planetary killer and don't want to spend more then $3K. Scopes I'm thinking of are: 7" LX-200, 6.5" DGM OA, and an 8" Portaball. I realize the 7" has cooldown issues, the 6.5" may be a challenge to collimate and the 8" may take a long time to get.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Harry

April 21, 2005 04:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ATWB Customer Service

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
I bought a WO 2" diagonal for SCTs from ATWB on the 13th. As of yesterday, 20 April it had not arrived. I called ATWB (Robert) for assistance. Robert was extremely helpful in tracking down and getting the diagonal delivered to me. Apparently, the part sat in the Albuquerque Fed Ex terminal for about 5 days.

Anyway, thanks ATWB for the help! Great customer service!

Harry

May 1, 2005 11:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Made a difference

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
Recently, I've bought two items that have made a big difference...JMI wheely bars and WO 2 inch diagonal.

I own a C-14/G11. Loading and unloading that 40+ pound OTA off the G-11 can be quite a chore. With the JMI wheely bars I simply roll the setup out of my shed and am ready in seconds. Literally seconds. Great for my old back! I find I use the scope more often now.

The WO diagonal is great! If you own an SCT do not waste anymore time with the standard supplied diagonal. There is a slight difference on the planets, but a major difference on dim DSOs. M-51 was easier to see with the WO diagonal. Well worth the money!

How about you? What have you bought that enhaced optics, transportability, or spousal appreciation?

Harry

October 31, 2005 04:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion 100ED/Skypro Initial Impressions

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
Just a few quick, non-technical impressions of the Orion (Chinese knock-off) 100ED refractor and Skypro mount combo. I noticed that Orion put this combo on sale for a short time for $998. Having once owned a 4" Vixen fluorite apo,I knew what a good 4" scope was capable of. After sitting in the Albuquerque Fed Ex hub for 5 days, I called and motivated Fed Ex to deliver it. The two boxes (1 ea 60 lbs and 1 ea 4 lb)arrived in good shape. Everything inside those two boxes was nicely and tightly packed...no damage. All parts and pieces were present. It took maybe 45 minutes to assmble everything and secure the drives. Of course I had the obligatory several day new scope curse of bad weather, but last night and this morning I was able to do a little viewing. The double cluster was awesome with stars coming to a pinpoint. Andromeda looked nice. Mars was too low and I did notice a little blue tinge, but it was not too objectionable. Surface marking were visible on the planet. Saturn looked very nice with the Cassini division visible. No false color noticed. The mount seemed to work well. I didn't take a super long time aligning it and really just pointed it north.

Like I said, just a quick, non-technical first impression. So far, I think a 4" ED scope with a mount (2 drives) for a grand was a good deal. It's my quick look, secondary scope. I'm happy.

Well, I have my C-14 set-up on the hill and will go out soon for a little more observing.

Clear skies!
Harry

January 6, 2006 04:08 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

AP 160 on a G-11

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
I've been on the 155/160 waiting list now for 4.5 years and probably have a year or two (or more)to go. I need to start planning now for my mount. I would like your opinion of a 160 riding on a G-11 for visual use.
Thanks!
Harry Drutok

February 10, 2006 09:00 AM Forum: Religion

Great World Religions

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
I guess you know by my posts that I consider myself a Christian. I was wondering have you studied the great world religions (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.)?

I'm curious, from a logical standpoint did any of these make more sense to you then the others? If so, why?

I just ordered a course that will cover a macro view of each of these religions. The course consists of 60 ea. thirty minute DVD lessons. I'll admit I don't know much about any of them besides Christianity and some Judiaism. It should be interesting!

Thanks!
Harry

October 16, 2006 05:16 PM Forum: Ask rating questions here

I received a "bum" rating

Posted By Harry Drutok

Hi Folks,
Is there anything that can be done when receiving an unfair rating? I've been an A'Mart member for several years and have never received unfavorable feedback before.
I haven't sold much lately, but sold a few items before the ratings system was implemented.

I received a 1 star rating from an unrated individual inquiring about my C-14 that was recently posted and sold. I corresponded with him and several others at the same time. I took inquiries on a first come, first served basis. When I asked him if
we had a deal, he responded "in principle" then continued asking more questions. I was VERY CLEAR that I was dealing with others and the first firm offer takes it. Well, I received a firm offer from another individual and took it. I e-mailed him and told him the scope was sold. He sent me an e-mail basically stating I sold the scope out from under him a gave me a 1 star rating. I responded in kind.

I think this rating is unfair and wonder is there anything that can be done.

Thanks!
Harry