My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Don Wyman

January 29, 2003 10:53 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Purchasing a Denkmeier Binoviewer soon

Posted By Don Wyman

Hey, how about an actualy binoviewer post?

I was lucky enough to glean enough info from the Binoviewer group before it's untimely demise to convince me to purchase a Denkmeier unit. Still need a few more sheckles before I can order it. I want to get the 1.25" OCS at the same time. I'll be using it on a Televue 85 and a Nexstar 11GPS. Wish me luck.

Don Wyman

January 30, 2003 10:15 PM Forum: Celestron

Have you used the $99 Eyepiece Set?

Posted By Don Wyman

Hey gang. These eyepiece sets have been out for a couple months now. I have two myself and like them a lot. But I'm the only person that has posted any sort of review on them. Mine is on the NexstarGPS and Nexstar Yahoo groups and are a couple weeks old already.

I'm curious to hear how others feel about them. I'd prefer to hear from those that have actually used them.

Don Wyman

January 30, 2003 10:17 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Want reviews of Celestron $99 Eyepiece Set

Posted By Don Wyman

Hey gang. These eyepiece sets have been out for a couple months now. I have two myself and like them a lot. But I'm the only person that has posted any sort of review on them. Mine is on the NexstarGPS and Nexstar Yahoo groups and are a couple weeks old already.

I'm curious to hear how others feel about them. I'd prefer to hear from those that have actually used them.

Don Wyman

May 22, 2003 12:28 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Picture of my baby - Solarmax 40

Posted By Don Wyman

Here's a shot of my setup. It's a TV Pronto with a Solarmax 40 on a Celestron Nexstar 80GT mount. Quick grab and go solar observing.

When I want to get serious and do some imaging I use a TV85 on a Nexstar 5 mount.

Don Wyman

September 7, 2003 03:33 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade Research Grade Eyepieces

Posted By Don Wyman

Can someone help me with a list of the Meade Research Grade Orthoscopic and Wide Angle (Erfle) eyepieces sold in the late 70's and early 80's? I'm interested in the 1.25" models.

Thanks
Don Wyman
P.S. I have 7mm and 28mm Orthos and 7mm and 20mm Wide Angles and want to start filling in the gaps.

October 18, 2003 02:11 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: The dust collector

Posted By Don Wyman

Nice, what are they?

Don Wyman

January 29, 2004 03:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: 10"f/4.7 versus a 12.5"f/5

Posted By Don Wyman

Your comparison is simplistic at best. Were both mirrors of the same quality? Do both scopes have the same amount of light baffling? Were both scopes completely cooled to ambient temperature?

Unless you took those things into consideration, your comparison is meaningless. There's no way that a 10" scope will show the Trapezium to be sharper than in a 12.5" scope unless the latter is of inferior quality.

Nice try, but no dice.

Don Wyman

February 5, 2004 10:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: I may have been ripped off, what I do now?

Posted By Don Wyman

I only use Postal Money Orders for these things when I don't use PayPal. If you get stiffed, it becomes a Federal Crime. Having a US Postal Inspector or FBI agent knocking on his door will get his attention in a hurry.

Don Wyman

May 28, 2004 09:32 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST on its way

Posted By Don Wyman

Got the call today from Astronomics. PST will be here late next week. Hope it's clear over the weekend so I can wring it out before the 8th.

Don Wyman
P.S. Ordered the case too. Saw a pic of it and it looks very nice.

June 3, 2004 08:38 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST has arrived

Posted By Don Wyman

Wow, and no clouds. I only had an hour to play with it and do this quick review. Wow, wow, wow! I love this thing. My wife likes to take a turn at the Solarmax 40 when it's set up so we unpacked the PST together and I told her to set it up. Showed her how to set up my photo tripod and attach the PST. Then showed her how to aim it and I had a hard time getting her to let me look. She has laid claim to the darned thing and I may be standing in line from now on.

Prominences were very well defined. Surface detail was so-so, sorta expected that though. A lot of nice detail around the edges. The tuner ring is essential. I don't know how they figured they could make this thing without it. Reminds me a little of using my old Daystar or my friends Lumicon 1.5A, when you adjust it, prominences are first present on the bottom or top and then shift to the other side with a 'dead spot' half way between where none are present.

Doubled stacked my SM40 on the PST and, whoah Nellie, the surface features were fantastic. Lots of plages and several very long filaments. Whole view was dimmed somewhat but not bad.

The supplied 12.5mm Kellner works quite well. Good full disk view. I tried a Celestron 10mm Kellner which gave a nicer view but it didn't have the eyeguard. Then tried some of the Plossls from the Celestron $99 set. The 9mm did a very nice job. The sun filled the FOV with the 6mm, focus was a bit mushy.

Tried an old Meade 2X barlow with the 12.5mm Kellner. Could not get it in focus. Tried the 2X barlow from the Celestron kit which worked pretty good. Pretty much the same as using the straight 6mm Plossl. A bit mushy.

Didn't have time to shoot any images. Hopefully tomorrow.

Bottom line? Gee this thing is fun, if I can only get it away from the wife.

Don Wyman